How tight is tight enough on the shrouds??

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Just did my first full rig up in preparation for my (new to me) 146's first sail. Noticed something funny my shrouds are so tight with the setting in the picture I've included. I almost can't close even one of the adjusters, and when I do The other side cannot be closed. What am I doing wrong? I'm just getting back into sailing, after about a 20year Hiatus, and this is my first boat..so forgive me if this is a really dumb question...but I remember being able to close the adjusters on the last boat my family had.

Attachments

Mar 21, 2018
There's a manual here:
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/dl/downloads.php?task=model&mid=61

But, it doesn't make a quantitative statement on tension. It indicates there's some adjustability based on hole location for the pin, though. You can more the pin on both sides. I think if they both feel pretty tight, and the leeward shroud doesn't flop around when you're sailing, it's fine.
Yeah I read that, but as you said they didn't make any kind statement as to how tight it should be. With one clamped shut there is so much tension on the shrouds that the mast slightly bends in that direction, and I'm afraid clamping the other shut (if I could even do it) would put a tremendous strain on both the mast and the chain plates. The last owner had them in the setting that you see in the picture...but unfortunately. I can't reach him anymore.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mast is fully set as far down as it can go in the socket in the bottom of the boat? no trash or stuff keeping it from setting all the way down?
The setting on the clamp looks to be as loose as it will get.. when closed.

Mar 21, 2018
Mast is fully set as far down as it can go in the socket in the bottom of the boat? no trash or stuff keeping it from setting all the way down?
Yes sir, all the way down. Pins in the bottom of the slot of the mast tabernacle. Nothing underneath

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you are comfortable that all is good with mast base and the terminal connectors at the top of the shrouds, you can put an extender between the hull "U" chainplate fitting and the bottom of the pin.. something like a double jaw rigging toggle might be the ticket.. or a Stay extender
http://hayn.com/marine/rigging/other.html

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just did my first full rig up in preparation for my (new to me) 146's first sail. Noticed something funny my shrouds are so tight with the setting in the picture I've included. I almost can't close even one of the adjusters, and when I do The other side cannot be closed. What am I doing wrong? I'm just getting back into sailing, after about a 20year Hiatus, and this is my first boat..so forgive me if this is a really dumb question...but I remember being able to close the adjusters on the last boat my family had.
Pin the shroud to a higher pin hole loosen the rig, (both sides should have the same hole)... right now it's on its tightest setting. The lever is just the quick release function allowing you to maintain the same settings from session to session. The actual adjustment function is the range of pin holes. If you want a longer forestay to increase rake...install a forestay pin hole adjuster.
Adding a simple shackle or a couple wraps of cord will do the same thing.

Mar 21, 2018
Maybe the silver dollar isn’t such a good idea after all. ;-)
Haha...Yup, maybe I could just tape a silver dollar to the mast somewhere. Do you think that would bring the same luck?