How old is your shore power cord?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have heard that Harlequin Novels and Hallmark Movies always have a happy ending. Are you a former writer for either?
Not me. Although we do see Hallmark......happy endings are great this time of year..

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I don't know the age of mine but I check it all the time for overheating. I'm switching to the smart plug as soon as possible. Also I use a 12' extension that I'm changing the female end on. I don't like the way the contacts are moulded in to the plastic. The plastic is subject to getting dry and loose like an old computer cord.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
First one replaced at 15 years. Eventually, I'll get a Smart Plug, but then will need a slug of adapters for cruising between ports.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
First one replaced at 15 years. Eventually, I'll get a Smart Plug, but then will need a slug of adapters for cruising between ports.
You can by a Smartplug cord with the standard plug at the dock end, which is what I did. So, for now, it is easy enough to hook up to shore power wherever we go. I hope that eventually, marinas will switch to Smartplug receptacles, in which case I will replace the dock end plug on my cord with a Smartplug.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Eventually, I'll get a Smart Plug, but then will need a slug of adapters for cruising between ports.
To my knowledge there is no cordset with a male (dock end) connector available from Smartplug yet. Maybe someday; but. for now the Smartplug cordset comes with the standard three pin twist-type connector for the marina power pedestal. So all of your adapters for the dock end will continue to be usable for sure. Also keep your old cordsets for extensions when needed. The only thing that has to be changed is the boat end with a new inlet . . . and of course the Spartpug coardset.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The pedestal is on the dock and the risk is with the marina. When they are forced to upgrade smart plug will likely provide an adapter. At least the plug end where the majority of the boat fires were started is resolved with the SmartPlug. (just my opinion)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The pedestal is on the dock and the risk is with the marina. When they are forced to upgrade smart plug will likely provide an adapter. At least the plug end where the majority of the boat fires were started is resolved with the SmartPlug. (just my opinion)
Marinas have a tough time keeping up with the shore power receptacles that are ruined by worn and shorted cordsets on customers boats. I was a dockmaster for a couple of summers, and one of our residents kept complaining that every weekend, when he returned to his boat, he would have no shore power, and all the food in his freezer was ruined. We replaced the receptacle in his pedestal twice, then told him he couldn't hook up to shore power until he got a new cord. He refused to believe his cord was at fault, but lo and behold, with the new cordset, he had no more problems with shore power.

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you for your observant comment. I tried to put it in my signature, but could not make it happen. So I retired the winter storm attire for the Christmas time and share a message that I love.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If it comes unplugged at the dock, there is no power in the cord. So at least it fails safe.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have four cords varying in age from 30 years to 3 years.
Every few months I check the plug terminals and clean as needed, plus used small amount of di electric grease to help prevent corrosion. Replaced waterproof seals over the years.
Oddly the newest marinco cord is in the worst shape of all my cords.
I intend to contact mfg soon to try to get replacement.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We have covers for our cords........ keeps them not sticky and new like. I will be upgrading to plugs next year

Oct 22, 2014
Plugs will be a nice upgrade.
Sticking the bare wires in the socket can become a shockingly difficult challenge in the rain.