How old is too old

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
And their Blazers hockey team likes to annoy our Spokane Chiefs on the way to the WHL championship. Any predictions for the game tonight?

Mar 6, 2013
Catalina 27 Maple Bay
I have a restored 1979 Catalina--partially by me and partially by the owner, she's gorgeous--if you need any help or suggestions don't hesitate to email.

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
Not much of a hockey fan, but I hear from my buddy who is that the blazers are not doing too well. Still have not had a chance to look at the boat as it has not been available for viewing. Biggest problem I have is that I need a trailer for it. So, if anyone has the specs for a trailer for a 1981 cat 27 can you get back to me. Thanks. Bill

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Too bad it's not a 22 or I'd make you a great deal on the trailer I'm no longer using.

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
I am sailing a 22 capri right now. So, worst case, I can still sail this summer if I don't get another boat.

Dec 1, 2005
Catalina 25 Essex, MD
We just bought a 1981 C-25 last week without a moments hesitation. We have owned several boats from the 1970-80's years and without exception they were all heavily built, sturdy boats. There are structural things you'll want to look for, soft decks (that's always the first thing I check because I have replaced rotten balsa cored decks before and it is not fun), bulkhead damage from leaking chainplates (which would probably also translate to soft decks around said chainplates) keel/keelbolts, bottom blisters, and the like. If you don't feel confident assessing the hull, then I agree with the others who suggest hiring a surveyor. It will be money well spent to save you the aggravation of buying a boat that would bleed you dry just trying to make it seaworthy. But if the hull is sound, everything else can be replaced and the rest is just elbow grease. I would caution though that I wouldn't encourage it to someone who is not a handy do-it-yourselfer. Hiring things out to be professionally done could drive you into bankruptcy quick on a old boat unless you find a boat whose previous owner had already made the investment for you. But if you have even modest skills, some spare time, and a desire to roll up the sleeves and do things yourself, you can not only get a great boat at a reasonable price, but may just find you enjoy the fixing as much as the sailing.

We are avid dock walkers, and we find that our eye will be drawn more quickly, and with more appreciation, to an older boat that is obviously lovingly cared for, than it will to a newer boat. There is just something special about the "Good Old Boats," a history, a personality, whatever you want to call it.

And you will learn so much more by getting an older boat and doing what it takes to bring her up to snuff again. By the time you are done you will be familiar with every part of her, you will know what is there, how it works, and why it doesn't if it stops. I could never put a value on how much we learned fixing up old boats, or the immense pride and satisfaction we got from sailing them when they were done.

Becky

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
we find that our eye will be drawn more quickly, and with more appreciation, to an older boat that is obviously lovingly cared for, than it will to a newer boat.

And you will learn so much more by getting an older boat and doing what it takes to bring her up to snuff again. By the time you are done you will be familiar with every part of her, you will know what is there, how it works, and why it doesn't if it stops. I could never put a value on how much we learned fixing up old boats, or the immense pride and satisfaction we got from sailing them when they were done.

Becky
we find that our eye will be drawn more quickly, and with more appreciation, to an older boat that is obviously lovingly cared for, than it will to a newer boat.

EXACTLY!.... the owner of a well kept older boat, will absolutely get a higher level of respect from me than will the new owner down the dock from me that just had a new 40footer delivered....

almost anyone can sign their name to a piece of paper and own a new boat, but it takes a person with a lasting love of their boat and the sport to tend to it properly over the years....

and the second paragraph is equally spot on... additionally, if you dont know the boat intimately, you, the crew and your guests arent as safe as they should be when you're out on the water..

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
I don't think it is the age so much as the upkeep. If the boat is in good shape and you like the look and feel of her, go for it. But do it with the understanding that with an older boat you are going to spend more time working on her to keep her up to snuff than you would with a newer boat. And that means less time sailing.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I don't think it is the age so much as the upkeep. If the boat is in good shape and you like the look and feel of her, go for it.
Sounds like a pretty good life lesson. Maybe you should go into marriage counseling. ;-)

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
Sounds like a pretty good life lesson. Maybe you should go into marriage counseling. ;-)
Absolutely - the same principles apply to a happy marriage to your spouse and your boat. Treat them well and they will support you through sun and storms.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Was in the Catalina office in Largo some years ago. They had found hull #1 and were talking about it. Nothing wrong with the fiberglass. Needed a refurb is all. It's not the age it is the maintenance that matters.

Jun 2, 2013
Catalina 27 Vancouver
We are proud owners of a '74 Catalina 27, so no, I don't think '81 is too old. Agree w all comments re maintenance over age. Ours had been well maintained up to about 3-4 years ago, and I've had to do quite a lot of small things to bring her to a state where's she's truly clean, dry and comfortable. There are some things to watch for on older Catalina's that can be a deal breaker:

1) Leaking chain plates: will cause rotted bulkheads. Not impossible to replace, I did our port side last year. Just time and energy.

2) Leaking windows. As above. Can be a bigger job if leaking for a long time and core between coachtop and liner has rotted. This means window frames will not be able to torque down and may continue leaking. Resealing the frames in the glass can be tricky too, even w the kit from Catalina Direct.

3) Catalina smile and related rotten bilge sole. The former is relatively easy to repair by fairing w epoxy. More involved if the wood in the sandwich core of the bilge sole is rotten. Mine has the smile, bilge is not too bad, have decided not to go whole hog and take out all the wood, am fabricating custom backing plates to fit into the bilge. The keel bolts deserve a mention here as well. Older Catalina's had steel bolts. Crevice corrosion, no need to say more. Catalina Direct sells a keel bolt kit to add new ones. I have not done this.

4) Compression post: at the base of the mast post, at the front of the bilge. This wooden part can rot and cause the mast to drop, which can buckle portions of the liner and loosen the rigging. Ours has dropped very slightly, maybe 1/4". I will do it next year as its not too bad.

5) Deck hardware bedding and backing plates. Poor quality and tired sealant makes for leaks and Catalina did not fair their deck mounting holes so leaks mean wet decks. Lack of backing plates (combined w soft, wet decks) means cracked gel coat, or worse! I redid all our deck hardware last year with custom fabricated backing plates for the stanchions. Can't say enough good things about butyl tape as the deck sealant of choice.

6) Spreaders. Older Catalina's used aluminum castings for the spreader brackets. They crack at inopportune moments and throw your rig into the sea. Replace them.

That's the big stuff, but lots of small things add up: faucet and head repairs, transducer replacement, winch rebuilding, teak cleaning and varnishing, cabin cushions, tiller handle, hatch runners, etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love all these projects and bought the boat with full knowledge of what was getting into. But I'm a workaholic and used to run a furniture manufacturing company so this kind of work is how I relax. I also find it incredibly valuable as a way to gain working knowledge of all the boat systems.

My next boat will be bigger, cleaner and newer, but that will be a few years off and I will have earned the right and learned the ropes.