How old is too old

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
Am thinking of buying a 1981Catalina 27. However it is a 1981, seems to be in good shape though. What do you think?

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
The White House was built in 1800 do you think the president is complaining about the house being too old ; anything that is built ,maintained and up graded is never too old.

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
In 2012 I sailed my 1981 Irwin to Bermuda and back, I think for the age she did better than me! The return trip about kicked my ass but the boat did fine. I survey boats all the time built in the 70's and 80's that are still going strong!

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
whats more fun, watching the boats leave the harbor from the shore? or sailing?

go for it!!

keep an open mind it may need some tlc but itll be great!!

my first was a derelict hunter 30 with orange and yellow formica. i had more fun than than any other sailor at the harbor!

mike

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
a 1981 boat... its nearly NEW!!!!

take care of it even half as good as you take care of yourself, and it will still outlast your kids....

if the hull is sound, all else can be replaced.. all it takes is time and money, and a catalina 27 is a good platform to build on....

its not the actual age of the boat at all, that makes a boat old, its all in the care it receives over the years after it was built.
there are many, many extremely nice boats that are many years older than 1981, that will put a lot of very new boats to shame....
no matter how well we take care of ourselves, we will get old and pass on to greener pastures, bluer seas, bigger boats and gold sandy beaches with bikini clad angels strutting around, but boats dont do that... they get old, but only die because of neglect (or catastrophic event):D....

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Am thinking of buying a 1981Catalina 27. However it is a 1981, seems to be in good shape though. What do you think?
If you don't mind my asking what is it setting you back?
Do you have pictures?

Sep 30, 2010
hunter 33 Hunter Morehead city
What year were you born? How old are you? 1981 !!! WOW;;; it's still American, What you need to think about is how old is your next wife going to be. BTW where is Kamloops?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Our family has had great fun restoring a 1981 C-25. It was structurally sound and most of the upgrades were cosmetic in nature. It routinely gets compliments for looking so clean. If the 27 is sound, go for it.

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
Our cat is a year newer, as said a bit of TLC and you got a sweet rig,
if your a bit handy most things you can do your self during the off season on the hard if your in cooler climate.

To us safety was no#1 with a two owner before us boat. The first owner did some of the Catalina up grades and with so many Catalina's in that model made there is a wealth of knowledge on the web so no need to be at the mercy of the boat yard!
If your un sure on the boat the best $$$ spent is on a survey to uncover and give you a list of things to do and must do's! ASP!!
This spring I finish the last two up grades on our Cat 27 and she will be a like new 82!
Brad

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
If my lime green leisure suit can last 33 years I reckon a well kept fiberglass boat can too.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
My 78 C27 is considered by some to be one of the better looking boats in the harbor. Of course my OCD might have something to do with it. :)
That being said, look forward to:
Polishing the chalk off, and resealing, the topsides
Re-glassing the paper-thin flanges on the sliding hatch.
Re-bedding everything topside
Checking the keel bolts.
And if it has an Atomic 4,....... getting to know the Moyer Marine website.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It's more about how well the boat has been cared for and maintenance has not been deferred, than it is age.
If it wasn't for 30+ year old boats, I never would have started sailing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There are a LOT much younger boats that may be in less good shape (like some of the ones we saw when we were looking for our second and now third boats).

The guys are right: condition, condition, condition. Everything, I eman everything, on a Catalina 27 can be found (Catalina Direct) or the factory --- still in business.

Unless it's a wreck, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
What's wrong with older boats? Mine is a 1976, and everybody at my marina compliments the way it looks! Of course, it took a couple of years to get it looking this good!!

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
If my lime green leisure suit can last 33 years I reckon a well kept fiberglass boat can too.
That's an odd comparison. Why would ANY leisure suit not last that long? It doesn't have to be lime green to remain stylish.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Willemvan,

I couldn't agree more with what's been said already. We bought a solid '81 C22 last year and I'm happy with it. Some important design changes from the original years were made by 1981. It had very few upgrades or amenities but we're adding our own as we go and that's half the fun. When we put her in the water this Spring, she'll look like a new boat. To watch the whole saga and see what you might be in for, check out my blog.

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
Thank you all for your input. Going to look at the boat next week.
Kamloops is in the southern part of British Columbia Canada, about 4 hours north of the border between BC and Washington State.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Thank you all for your input. Going to look at the boat next week. Kamloops is in the southern part of British Columbia Canada, about 4 hours north of the border between BC and Washington State.

Kamloops is the nastiest hill on the planet when going to, or coming from the big lake.