How often do you get to your boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HOW Editorial

This week's discussion doesn't mirror the quiz question, but is clearly related. The distance to your boat certainly influences how often you go there, and for what reasons. How often do you get on your boat, and what motivates your travel? Do you go just to sail, for sailing and maintenance, or just to hang out? Tell us about your road travels to your sea travels here.

C

Carl

Part time now

I live aboard from Friday to Sunday. On trip I get to stay longer. Trying to figure out how to do it full time.

R

Rodney

Long Drive

We live in Blacksburg, VA and keep our boat in Punta Gorda. So, it is a 900-mile trip to our boat. Neither of us have retired, so we only make it down about five times a year. On occasion we have actually driven down on Thursday afternoon for a Friday and Saturday sail before returning home on Sunday. Suffice it to say, we spend as much time as possible on the boat when we are there. Fourteen hours behind the wheel of any car makes retirement look more and more attractive. What do we do? There are always maintenance items to attend to, but we sail as much as we can. We do not do much “hanging out.” It is Charlotte Harbor and Punta Gorda that determined the location of our boat. We are going to retire there and, given our taste, there does not appear to be a substitute. (I do not mean to sound like a Porsche advertisement.)

G

Greg Stebbins

Close enough....

HOW often do I get to my boat? I average 2-3 times during the week and every weekend. We live a few hundred yards from the dock (Neighborhood dock). It’s a 10-min walk. The reasons for the visits vary. More than half the visits are just to get away and look at the boats. I do open the boat up and air out the cabin as well as inspect but primarily, it’s just a walk. I open the hatches and then walk the marina area closing up the boat on my way back. I only drive to the boat when transporting materials to and from the boat. I drove to the boat this weekend because I brought the boom home for maintenance (modifying the reefing system., replacing the topping lift and rebuilding the outhaul and well as installing Harken lazy jacks) We are approaching the time of year when weekday dinner sails are possible. We take sandwiches and sail through dinner returning at dusk and bedtime for the kids. Interesting road travels? Not much I’m afraid. The neighborhood is built around a 3.7-mile circular road call Yacht Club Drive. It functions as part of the bike path and jogging track as well as the main road to everything. I did run across a young woman jogging the track who had come completely out of her top. HOW do you tell a woman that her rigging‘s come lose? I turned my back, spread my arms to block her way. When I heard her stop I said, “Excuse me Mamma” and she figured it out. It bothers me that the situation struck me as more comic than anything else. Maybe I’m getting old <sigh>.

M

Mickey Goodman

Boat Trips

It is a fourty five minute drive from home to the marina boat slip. During the season, May through October, we go to the boat at least one day each weekend. When we are there we do all necessary maintenance then go sailing. We don't go there just to kill time or hang out. Sailing is the driving force and thats what we like to do. We usually get there by 10AM and sail until about 5PM. After that we head home to feed the animals and ourselves.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
wrong question

Since I not only live aboard but work aboard as well, how often I get *off* the boat is the more intriqueing question. Not enough. The good news is that now that I've stopped racing, we've cut back on our sailing excursions to about three weekends per month. Gives us more time for kayaking.

J

John K Kudera

100 miles

We drive from Bethlehem, PA to Forked River NJ each Friday Night and return home Sunday night, from April 20 something til late October. We do all major maintenance before the sailing season, so we just keep the boat clean and do emergency type jobs in the Summer. We find every weekend is different, some weekends we stay at the marina overnight, other times we leave and return Sunday afternoon. We go in all weather, if raining on Saturday we will drive to Atlantic City, then leave Sunday morning if the weather doesn't clear. We cook on board, and eat at resturants, as the spirit moves us. We do several, (two or three longer trips a season,) to AC or New York City. An average year we will sail/motor 1000 miles. We also have been committee boat for our Yacht Club races. I think we spend 60 days a year on the boat.

M

mark schaefer

its a hangout

i'm fortunate to live about 3 miles from my boat..i get there 3 to 5 times a week...boat is in the water 12 mos a year so sunday afternoons are spent watching football games etc...also great to be close when laying on coats of varnish..can do two a day..would hate to drive fifty miles and then realize i forgot the keys..

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Not often enough

We travel 170 miles (3 hours) from Carson City, NV to Rio Vista, CA (stopping off place for Humphrey the whale several years ago). We usually go every weekend during the summer from May thru Sept. During the winter months it may be once a month or less depending on the roads and weather. Never have the pleasure of going for the day but always glad I'm there and not home regardless.

M

Mark Johnson

I guess I'm lucky!

We live about 20 minutes from the boat, and my office is about 5 minutes from the boat. In the summer I'm on the boat every day and sleep there probably 4 nights per week. I can't imagine having to drive hours just to check/and or use my boat. MPJ

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Often...

I work at home 5 minutes from the Marina, so I can hop down to finish something started on a weekend during the week. From Spring through our long Fall, I sail at least one day per week, and through Summer I try to do an overnight trip at least twice a month. My wife works right across from the Marina, so our weekly harbour cruises for sunset (and cocktails are plentiful. At any other time, the boat is right there when I need to get away from a computer screen, I go hang out, clean something, do a project (or maybe just think about doing a project...), and generally enjoy being on the water.

E

Ed Schenck

Ninety miles, ninety minutes..

since it is all thruway from Canton, OH to the marina on Lake Erie. Spend more on turnpike toll($1.10 each way) than on diesel. Always have a project list which we almost never do, rather sail her than work on her. Almost every weekend mid-April through mid-October. Only sixty minutes from work so will do eight or ten weekday evening sails. The H37C is a little much as a day-sailer but that's the way we use her. The worst part is trusting the forecasts, Lake Erie can be real lumpy with a North or West wind.

D

Don H.

50 miles to boat, every weekend.

I live on my Legend 37.5 on the weekends and sail as much as I can. I averaged 4,200 nautical miles per year over the last three years. I spend the required time on maintenance, but my boat is more of a "go" boat instead of showboat.

G

Gary Baggett

Jsut Over The Hill

I live approximately 20 miles from the boat, but in a completely different climate zone. When the air temp. is hot at home (Summer time), you can bet that its blowing on the Bay. And when its cold and miserable (Winter) its probably quite pleasant on the water. Travel to boat for sailing, maintenance, or just hanging around AT LEAST once a week. GB H290 Corinne

J

Jay Hill

Hopefully...

...if plans continue on schedule I will be on a boat everyday. Currently, I get to the boat everyweek and usually spend all weekend on her and at least one weeknight. I've been preparing, though, for the retired/work-for-myself/liveaboard life and I'm getting close. 39 days to be exact, but who's counting? :) When on the boat, I am always putting things on the ToDo list and always take care of at least one item that matches my mood, schedule, or state of inebriation (sp?). Sometimes it's something as small as airing cushions or "designing" better/more storage compartments. This allows me to spend more time underway. I'm splitting the difference between the "go now" and "get prepared, go later" cruising philosophies. I'm "getting prepared to go now" I guess. Of course, everytime I learn something, I learn HOW much I don't know. Such is life, though, and I'll be having a great time. later is good. now is better. waiting 'til later to experience now is very bad.

J

Jack Laird

Everyday

Go down, about 3 miles, every morning for an hour or so. Sometimes twice if I'm working on something. Retirement is great.

P

Paul Akers

20 Miles by choice

We could be as close as 3 miles, but prefer to sail out of a more flexible area that gets us to better cruising grounds. In season we are out every weekend and wednesday nites (weather permitting) and also do a two week cruise. We'll spend about 30 nights on board each season. If we don't go out, it's usually maintenance at the dock. GREAT RELAXATION, no matter what.

P

Pat Corbisiero

Lucky I guess!

I guess I'm Pretty lucky! I keep my boat at my house. I live just off Barnegat Bay in Toms River NJ. So it's only about 25feet from my back to my dock.

S

Sam Curry

Daily boat check

I live about 1 minute bike ride from my boat at Northwest Creek Marina. Visit the boat daily and use it often depending on the weather. We are able to go sailing every month and take many day trips and are polanning several longer cruises (up to 2 weeks) this year. The boat does get used!

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
4 Miles

We live 4 miles from our boat. Any TRUE sailing fanatic would say to the question, "How often do you get there", "every day woul dnot be often enough!!!!" Seriously, with work and stuff, 2-4 times/week during a short 5 month season here on Lake Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.