How not to connect wires

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A couple of weeks ago the float switch in the shower drain sump crapped out. Not surprising, it was a float switch. Of course, I learned that it quit after hosing down the head compartment and noticing that the water wasn't draining very fast and the sump pump wasn't pumping. It was time to flush the bilge out anyway.

Opening the sump box and diving into the wiring, I found this connection.
IMG_0665.jpg

All of the wiring and connectors were stuffed into the sump box and this connector was sealed some sort of silicone caulk that had become hard. The black stuff is mold, mildew or accumulated crud.

The new float switch has heat shrink butt connectors all located outside of the sump box. Why do people do such a crappy job on a simple connection?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, it is a 1993 Sabre, but I think this is the second float switch in the shower sump. One of the pigtails for the pump (an Attwood bilge pump) was much shorter than the other. The PO also seemed to have an affinity for silicone caulk, keep finding it in places that I wouldn't expect it. And then there is the copious amount of black electrical tape.....

There were several "upgrades" to the electrical system that would send MaineSail off on an a rant. I won't describe all of them because it may cause MS to have a cardiac event and that would be a great loss to all of us.

Like all production builders, Sabre cut some corners here and there. Wiring is not always tinned, sometimes it may be SAE not AWG wiring, and heat shrink terminals or heat shrink on cable ends was unheard of.

This is the second Sabre I've owned and I have found them to be well designed and well built boats, however, there are little shortcuts they have taken here and there. The shower sump connection is not a typical Sabre shortcut.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks, Dave. Yes, let's not send send MaineSail to the hospital. I always considered Sabres top-notch boats, it' must be someone after the fact who did that.