How much does a Catalina 22 weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

Just curious. How much does a Catalina 22 actually weigh ? I see the displacement listed but wouldn't the boat weigh less than the displacement(otherwise it would sink) What do you think the minimum trailer capacity should be? 3000#, 2500#, 3500# ?

J

Jack

Displacement = Weight

The displacement is the weight of water displaced by the boat which precisely equals the weight of the boat.

T

Ted

Like Jack said . . .

. . . . and you will need a 3500 lb GVWR trailer to tow it. The trailer itself will weigh about 900 lbs, so with the 2400 lb +/- of boat, you will be right up near the limit. Regards, Ted

B

Bayard Gross

Beleive it or not, 2,130 to 3,000 pounds

The varience in weights between different Catalin 22's is very considereable. In 1996, The Catalina National Sailing Association weighted all the swing keel boats participating in the 1996 National Race. The weights ranged from 2,130 pounds to 2,570 pounds. Further, I know of a Catalina 22, used for racing and therefore without any extra weight, that was recently weighted at 3,000 pounds. However, there is some possible influence of water penetration in this vessel. Nevertheless, a Catalina 22 that has been sitting at a mooring or a slip may have significant water penatration that will add something to its displacement. So, for safety's sake, I personally use a figure of 3,000 pounds for a C-22. I wish I had used that figure several years ago when I purchased a new trailer and bent it when retreiving the boat. The winch stand was placed far too forward for the boat's weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.