How many lugs on starter?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
How many 1/0 lugs will fit easily on the starter? My wiring plan uses a separate battery for the starter, but involves a wire from the disconnect switch, as well as the 1/2/Both switch on the starter. I'm using heavy duty power lugs, which take up a lot of space. Hopefully I can get two on the starter stud easily.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't think you want to do it that way. There should only be one lug on the starter. The one wire goes to one disconnect terminal to which is also connected the "2" on the 1/2/Both switch; the other terminal is connected to the engine starting battery.
There are a couple of threads on this topic.
Please excuse if I misinterpreted what you want.
To answer the question, I think the issue is not so much the thickness of the lugs, but the "stacking" of the terminal barrels which connect to the wire. You usually have to fan them out, or reverse one, and quickly run out of room.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/1-both-2-off-switches-thoughts-musings.137615/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rob.
I see the image you provided. I was trying to understand the wire from the #2 on the switch to the Starter.
Here is a diagram from the MaineSail writeup. The wire in question goes to the switch not the starter. Only one wire goes to the starter. The switch has enough space for two lugs. The starter motor stud usefully only has space for 1 lug. Electrically they look the same but the MaineSail diagram would be safer. One wire to disconnect when servicing the starter.
155636682.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
Rob.
I see the image you provided. I was trying to understand the wire from the #2 on the switch to the Starter.
Here is a diagram from the MaineSail writeup. The wire in question goes to the switch not the starter. Only one wire goes to the starter. The switch has enough space for two lugs. The starter motor stud usefully only has space for 1 lug. Electrically they look the same but the MaineSail diagram would be safer. One wire to disconnect when servicing the starter.
View attachment 141255
The issue I saw with doing that is the starter is between the disconnect switch and the 1/2/Both. So going from #2 to the disconnect is a longer run. But I see the good reasons for doing it that way and will modify the plan.
Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
the disconnect is a longer run
Yes I suspected. Always happens in mature boats when the owner wants to do a repair and do it correctly. Suspect the PO was at the same crossroads and...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Revised diagram. Starter lug problem solved. This forum is a great resource.
You could also install a Blue Sea Power Post near the starter so only 1 wire run up to starter stud...

Nov 16, 2012
You could also install a Blue Sea Power Post near the starter so only 1 wire run up to starter stud...
Thanks, that's a good option. You know how crowded that area is on the C310. Do you think there's a good spot for it? Or it could go on the opposite side of the bulkhead behind the engine; the wires run through there anyway.

Oct 22, 2014
Got to love MaineSail's ideas. Great alternative to long wire runs.

Comes from having been there and fixed that experience.

Nov 16, 2012
Got to love MaineSail's ideas. Great alternative to long wire runs.

Comes from having been there and fixed that experience.
I picked his brain (and others) extensively when I rewired our Catalina 27. The C310 is a bigger project, and I really appreciate the willingness of folks who have been there and fixed that to help out.