How I made my M25XP quiet.

Oct 13, 2011
Catalina 30 MkII Lake Murray, SC
Please give me part number for air cleaner assembly and the model of tractor it was on. Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
acox, here's a starting point. You should learn which tractor engine is in your boat:

Kubota Block Equivalents http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...M40-engine-information&highlight=kubota+block

The Westerbeke/Universal information is here:

Westerbeke/Universal now has the owner manuals online. You can download them at http://www.westerbeke.com/Products/OnlineManuals.aspx

The filters a lot of skippers use is a K&N filter. I'd bet a search on that would turn up some previous posts.

Good luck, let us know if you need more info.

Aug 26, 2013
Catalina 30 MKII Horseshoe Bay
Please give me part number for air cleaner assembly and the model of tractor it was on. Thanks
I have all the part numbers along with images in the first few posts. If you can't find them or have trouble reading them you can pm me and I'll send the #'s.

Aug 26, 2013
The filters a lot of skippers use is a K&N filter. I'd bet a search on that would turn up some previous posts.
So do most teenagers with a Honda Civic that has an 8" fart can hanging off the back. Doesn't make it right...

:D

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Aaron,
Thanks again for this thread. Any chance you can post a higher res image of the exploded diagram from the first post?

Thanks,
Jim

Aug 26, 2013
Aaron, Thanks again for this thread. Any chance you can post a higher res image of the exploded diagram from the first post? Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim.

Sure will, when I get home later. I'm up to my elbows in hydronic heating install right now. I'll also post the part numbers in my next post in case the resolution is still too low.

Aug 26, 2013
Aaron,
Thanks again for this thread. Any chance you can post a higher res image of the exploded diagram from the first post?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim.

I have uploaded two pictures for you. One is for the L245 tractor which is what I used, the other is from the D950 manual. If I had to do it again I would probably consider the D950 parts. I have no good reason for that, but looking at the parts I feel that the bracket available may be easier to work with and with the second silencer may be even quieter. Again, I can't confirm this.
Just in case the pictures I have used are not legible I will give the part #'s I did use and would use for both set ups...

L245

15222-11012 Compete air cleaner assy.
15321-11620 Itake air pipe/hose
15221-11720 x2 Clamps

D950

15372-11010 Air cleaner assy.
15371-11250 Air cleaner band clamp
66711-54310 Air cleaner mount bracket
01123-50829x2 bolts for bracket to air cleaner

If using the D950 air cleaner I would still use the intake air hose from the L245. It is much longer and allows for better positioning out of the way. With my setup I also put a hose barb fitting in the intake to run the crankcase vent hose on the top of the valve cover into the intake. This is the way automobiles are run. Tractors are not. It does a great job getting rid of that awful smell especially after running...
Hope this is easy enough to read and makes sense. Feel free to ask away if you have any questions...

Aaron

Attachments

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Aaron-- what do you think made the difference here? Separating the filter from the intake with a hose? A specific kind of filter? Just an actual useful filter? All of the above. Just curious what the most important aspect is

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
I too am curious how an air filter exchange can make a significance difference in engine noise.

Aug 26, 2013
Aaron-- what do you think made the difference here? Separating the filter from the intake with a hose? A specific kind of filter? Just an actual useful filter? All of the above. Just curious what the most important aspect is
Brad,

What makes it quiet is to have a proper air cleaner. Filter elements are not designed to take car of noise like intake resonance and whatnot. As you may or may not know diesels differ from has engines in the fact that they don't have a throttle plate. That wide open intake at all times makes for a lot of noise. Both from the pulse of air each time air is drawn in. People with cars that have been hot roses have always done the opposite of trying to quiet the intake. In the 70's many gm owners used to flip the lid on their air cleaner to hear that incredible sound when they stomped on the gas and the q jet opened up! Now a days k&n makes fuel injection performance kits (fipk). Again being that most are on gas motors they aren't too obnoxious until you tromp on the gas. A fine example would be my supercharged truck.
Long story long a proper air filter housing weather remote mounted like mine or right on the intake is necessary to balance all the pulses and make things more bearable. I went with the remote filter as there is not much room to work with in a c30 engine bay in the area around the intake manifold. A friend of mine with another sailboat used a filter housing that fit right in his intake.
Out of all the things done to my engine, the vetus mounts, and the sound deadening, the intake has been the most dramatic. Yes the mounts made things easier on my fillings especially at idle, and the sound deadening took a lot of noise away, but the intake took away the awful drone when having to run the engine especially for long periods if time. For me now, the engine sounds as it should. The noisiest thing I hear is engine noise transmitted to the fuel cut on the engine panel and going into the cabin while the engine is running is a joy. Especially when it's time to use the macerator pump. That used to be head splitting loud.
Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps.

Aaron

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
After a few trips on my Catalina 30 wishing, hoping and praying there would be good wind, there was not. Day after day I was going to have to listen to the obnoxious drum of my engine. The factory air cleaner was nothing more than a tin can with some holes in it and what looked like course steel wool. Having a friend with a Kubota tractor 24.5 horsepower and hearing how much quieter it was I decided to make the air cleaner from that model tractor work. The improvement was dramatic! In the photos I have attached you can see it fits nicely. I have put 20-25 hours on the motor since doing the job. Fuel economy remains the same as well as power. noise reduction is dramatic. When the engine is at idle I can go into the cabin and hear the fuel pump ticking away now!
From the parts diagram I used 001 (complete air cleaner assembly)
009 (intake hose which was cut down)
010 x2 clamps
I have a 1987 Catalina 30.

My mechanic and i have been working off and on for three weeks on engine area. I am going to try this as well. Will post results in a few weeks.

I am also installing sheets of sound abatement around engine and bilge. Also replacing motor mounts to reduce vibration.

This week, we replaced every hose on engine including exhaust hose and heat exchanger.

I am determined to reduce engine noise, smell and vibration.

Wish me luck!

Aug 26, 2013
I have a 1987 Catalina 30. My mechanic and i have been working off and on for three weeks on engine area. I am going to try this as well. Will post results in a few weeks. I am also installing sheets of sound abatement around engine and bilge. Also replacing motor mounts to reduce vibration. This week, we replaced every hose on engine including exhaust hose and heat exchanger. I am determined to reduce engine noise, smell and vibration. Wish me luck!
No luck needed. You'll be happy. I know it! ?

Feb 4, 2014
Catalina 30 Easley
After a few trips on my Catalina 30 wishing, hoping and praying there would be good wind, there was not. Day after day I was going to have to listen to the obnoxious drum of my engine. The factory air cleaner was nothing more than a tin can with some holes in it and what looked like course steel wool. Having a friend with a Kubota tractor 24.5 horsepower and hearing how much quieter it was I decided to make the air cleaner from that model tractor work. The improvement was dramatic! In the photos I have attached you can see it fits nicely. I have put 20-25 hours on the motor since doing the job. Fuel economy remains the same as well as power. noise reduction is dramatic. When the engine is at idle I can go into the cabin and hear the fuel pump ticking away now! From the parts diagram I used 001 (complete air cleaner assembly) 009 (intake hose which was cut down) 010 x2 clamps
Hi Aaron - new to this forum and a new owner - I liked your winter project idea and got my shopping list together for the parts of a Kubota D950 / Universal M25XP. What I found is that the air intake hose is no longer produced - and found that from several parts companies. Is there another Kubota engine option to use as a cross reference? I have a K&N filter so all I need is the hose and clamps ... Thanks in advance.

Aug 26, 2013
Hi Aaron - new to this forum and a new owner - I liked your winter project idea and got my shopping list together for the parts of a Kubota D950 / Universal M25XP. What I found is that the air intake hose is no longer produced - and found that from several parts companies. Is there another Kubota engine option to use as a cross reference? I have a K&N filter so all I need is the hose and clamps ... Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
The parts that I used were from an L245DT kubota tractor. In the third post in this thread there is the part #'s there for what I used and were all available within a couple days. The hose I used was probably the most unnecessary piece I paid for. If I had more time I would have sourced anything right down to some smaller radiator hoses, but I knew that the hose I bought had plenty of bends and would work out nicely. I literally went from working night shift out to my boat installed the air cleaner assy. Ran the hose and had it running at 1am! Good luck in your winter project. I finally finished my winter project. I finally have a hydronic heating system. Nice and warm and hot water coming out of the tap anytime I need it!

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Aaron-- trying to isolate different issues, here; do you have original motor mounts or have those been upgraded as well?

I'm trying to decide which to upgrade first-- sounds like the air filter just quiets the whole engine...

Aug 26, 2013
Aaron-- trying to isolate different issues, here; do you have original motor mounts or have those been upgraded as well?

I'm trying to decide which to upgrade first-- sounds like the air filter just quiets the whole engine...
Hi Brad,

Ill try to sum it up best as I can, and if you have any further questions feel free to message me anytime.
I have upgraded the motor mounts as well have sound deadened the engine bay. The intake was the last thing to be done. If I had to do it again it would probably be the first. Why? Because it is the one thing on a long motor trip that makes running the motor not pleasant at all.
A friend who has a different sailboat has only done the air cleaner with an off the shelf unit from Beta I think. It worked very well. My reason for not using it was the limited space for a unit that attaches right to the intake manifold on a Catalina 30.
Summed up, softer mounts are going to reduce what you feel. Noise reduced is going to be in transferred noise from other things such as the range and burner plates rattling, etc. With softer mounts you won't see water rippling around the hull like you may now.
Now to the intake. On many diesels the intakes are very short. Combine this with an intake that doesn't have a throttle plate like a gas engine, you hear everything from all the air being drawn in to even valve noise. Using the intake I used helped by increasing the length do dampen the pulses as well as have a quiet non-restrictive air cleaner with the venturi type inlet to further dampen the pulses. Consider when we were younger and people including me used to flip the air cleaner on our old chevy v-8's to hear the intake sing when we stomped on it. Or K&N intakes on added to many cars and trucks now. When they step on it the noise is considerable. Now imagine doing this to a diesel powered car or truck. Without the throttle plates the noise is there pretty much all the time, with the exception of turbo charged diesels where the turbo itself will help silence the intake noise some.
It would appear my short post just got long. Sorry for that!

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Aaron-- that was perfect, just what I needed to know. If I could have remembered oh to message you I would... I remember flipping the lid on my 70 el camino!