How far?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Well our season on the slip ended yesterday as we had to be off by Oct 1st, which sucks. Our gps showed 89.5 miles traveled for the season. Not too bad for only a couple sails per week since May 1st on a 12,000 acre inland lake. We lost a month in July and August due to the doldrums that seem to strike every summer. Sure we ran over several times hoping to have wind off the inflow of a thunderstorm.
We only ran 1.2 gallons of fuel through our 4 hp Tohatsu so for the most part when there was wind we sailed.
The crazy thing to me is that it is 104 miles round trip to the slip!!! Have I lost my mind?
Just curious how far others on inland lakes sail per season?

Sam

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We are about 60 miles round trip to our lake. That's why I call my Focus wagon my "lake car". Much cheaper than the Suburban or the wife's Cadillac. And it has plenty of room for coolers.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
About 28 miles one way to Lucky Peak reservoir.. Have tried it using four routes - unfortunately we need to pass through or around downtown Boise. Best timing has been 38 minutes. This does not include a 1,120 mile trip to the San Juans. About the same time to the local ski hill so its easier to rationalize.
upload_2017-10-2_17-54-27.png

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
285 miles on our local reservoir, approximately 20 sq miles sailable. Luckily it is 9 miles from work and 10 from home, 280 miles for the season of April 09 through September 20th.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
126 miles round trip to the lake and back. It takes right at 1 hour one way, because of mostly interstate highway. I dont mind it a bit.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
My wife feels like a widow during sailing season :yikes: Also having a longer waterline I can sustain 6+ knots with decent wind, more miles in the same number of hours.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
flyinhi4u I delivered a boat once not far from Viginniy when at SML all the way to CA. It only took an hour. Kidding you. It took over a week but went to see a friend too.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
126 miles round trip to the lake and back. It takes right at 1 hour one way, because of mostly interstate highway. I dont mind it a bit.
And I complain that It takes me 45 minutes on the iron Jenni to get to the Atlantic Ocean. Only 10-15 minutes by car from the house to my dock.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For 2017 so far, Blue has raced 32 times and has practice sailed or cruised more 20 times. In total she's covered 615 nm and burned 5.5 gallons of diesel.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Ok, you all must have the key ingredient for sailing, wind!!! We have made many wasted trips to lake only to have the wind die before we get there. Central Indiana is not the most ideal place for sailing but make the best of it. Taking the Mirror out tomorrow as we are forecasted to have wind.

Sam

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ok, you all must have the key ingredient for sailing, wind!!! We have made many wasted trips to lake only to have the wind die before we get there. Central Indiana is not the most ideal place for sailing but make the best of it. Taking the Mirror out tomorrow as we are forecasted to have wind.
That helps. So does being 10 minutes away from the boat. And the 2-3x a week racing schedule helps; if you race you show up even if the wind looks like crap in the forecast. Half of the time, it fills in and you get in a decent sail!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes

Sam
We've learned to make lots more multi day trips, after watching the wind come up as we drove away towards home for the day. ;)

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA

Sam
Im on Lake Patoka, IN. I agree, it was a little slow there this mid summer. But we go anyway. How bad can it be on the water. It just means we swim more and maybe the bourbon comes out a little earlier.

Last Friday made up for some of the slow days.

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
We're 90 miles one way from our dry slip at St. Andrews bay, Panama City, Florida but sailing season is mostly year-round found that sailing in winter is more pleasurable (and less frustrating) when the crowds and stupid people in a hurry have dwindled. My summer sailing season ended on July 4th as, while launching, I was receiving sneers and dirty looks from speed-boaters, causing me to suffer a lapse in good judgement. I found that trying to back a sailboat out in a light wind and then turn in tight quarters to the inlet is ill-advised. I simply could not get enough movement under the hull with my 6hp sailpro and grazed the dock in the turn. I'm picking the boat up from the repair shop this Friday after I pay $550 for fiberglass repair. I won't make that mistake again. From now on, those people in a hurry to launch and recover can just wait for me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I too experience often as power boaters think they own the ramps but at the same time I have seen some sailers taking up too much time. Suggest launching at a safer ramp and maybe if you insist on one of three holiday weekends of the summer that you launch very early like at sun up . Times have changed in the past 50 years from a time when folks were cordial and all boaters helped one another. Not anymore.