How far on 1 tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allen

I am planning a long trip between ports and in the event of no wind, was wondering if anyone with a 28.5 has ever noted the approximate distance (or hours) old faithful can travel on 1 tank of diesel at 4 knots.

S

Steve O

Yanmar mpg

My 28.5 would burn about 1 pint of fuel per hour. The 28.5 has a 11.5 gallon fuel tank. That meant that I could motor approx. 92 hrs on 1 tank of fuel, although I never did motor that long

J

Joe M

Formula

The formula for calculating fuel consumption is as follows. For a deisel engine you will use 1 gal. of fuel for every 20 hp used. For a 4 stroke gas engine it is 1 gal for every 15 hp used and for a 2 stroke gas engine it is 1 gal for every 10 hp used. In your case if you have a 12 hp Yanmar and you run at 80% you will use about 1/2 gal an hour. Since you probably have a 12 gal tank your good for 24 hours running or about 100 miles. By the way a 260hp gas V8 is sucking up about 14 gal an hour. It really costs to hear that V8 puuuur and get no place fast. Hoped this helped

A

Allen

Lake Michigan

Thanks for the info guys although there seems to be a slight discrepancy between the two estimates! :) Steve, I know you are on Lake Michigan, what is the farthest you have ever motored your boat? Allen

D

Dan

18 hp Yanmar

We have a 29.5 on Lake Michigan. In general when cruising North the winds are from the dead North and when returning South the winds are from the dead south. So we end up motoring a lot when cruising. During an 8 hour motoring trip at about 5 mph (for some silly reason the Great Lakes use MPH instead of knots) we will burn about 4-6 gallons. The reason for the variation is wave action. If calm (1-2 footers we can normally go with slightly less than a half gallon per hour) the bigger the waves the more fuel you will use. For safety sake you really should go with the 1/3 rule. The 1/3 rule states: 1/3 tank for travel 1/3 tank for return 1/3 tank for unforeseen circumstances (like a marina that doesn't carry diesel!) In addition, when cruising, I usually keep a 6 gallon jerry can of diesel - just in case, especially if we are crossing the lake. Long way to the otherside if the wind dies.

R

Rick Greyson

Open Water Mileage

Allen, I have a 2gm20(f) in an '87 28.5 with original 2 bladed factory prop. Without fail, my fuel consumption is .3 gallons per hour. I normally run between 2200 and 2400 rpm which gives me about 5 kts in smooth water and a little over 4 kts in seas. I have been logging the fuel useage for some time, and can predict very closely by the hour meter just how much fuel I will need when refueling. I carry 3 six gallon plastic fuel cans when I head to the Bahamas. They fit nicely in the starboard lazzerette. That is cheap insurance if fuel range is a concern! Good luck and have a great trip!

G

fuel miser

During my recent sail from San Fran. to Baja, I used less than 1/2 gal per hour at 2400 rpm. Had to motor a good part of the way. 29.5

Status
Not open for further replies.