How far do you drive to use your boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Exactly 1 hour. 42.5 miles. Worth every mile and every minute.

Kermit

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
One hour, ten minutes.. 65 miles.. I am leaving right now to go and sit and think..for a couple of days. Lots of rain today.. I have a couple of good books and plan to not get out of the slip.. My goal is to figure out the best way to run a bilge blower and hose so I can suck the heat out of the engine box when motoring long distances..
I have been doing this run since my first boat in 1978.. I have loved being around boats and the water since I was able to walk.. still do !! (OK, so it is almost mandatory in South Louisiana!)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
3 hrs. 170 miles. We use the boat every weekend except during the winter when we only go 1-2 weekends a month.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
My boat is located 44 miles from my home: typically takes between 45-55 min depending on traffic.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wow! Some of you guys really "commute" to use your boats.

For us it's about 1.6 miles to the club or if using the mooring in front of the neighborhood it is about 60 yards to the dinghy then a 200 yard dinghy trip. Been riding my bike to the club lately...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
90 miles. About 1hour, 20 minutes. Less at 80 MPH. We go generally each week. Have to go up and down 5000 feet each way, so it slows my VMG. Steve, on the other hand, has to slow down to average 80 MPH. The only reason it takes him three hours is that he has to use the rest stop at Donner.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
About 1 hour 45 minutes 85 miles all interstate I 95 which on a Friday afternoon is a bear. We stay on the boat all weekend though and as others have said it is worth every minute of the travel.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Rick:

No - The Rest Stop at Donner is closed. I normally do the Hwy 50 route through South Lake Tahoe anyway. The traffic there can be bad, but usually okay on Friday nights. We are going against the flow. All the fools are going to Tahoe for the weekend.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
3 miles to the dock. Bikeable and joggable. Water is pretty thin though so it takes me about 15 minutes to hit the main river channel. Such are the sacrifices to have the boat so close :-( .

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
1 mile: couple minutes to the Dana Point harbor to the family Cat. 27
65 miles: almost exactly 1 hour to Shelter Island in San Diego, every weekend!

Have done the 1 hour trip since 2006 and it is a nice drive along the coast. So worth the peace and quiet.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Wow! Some of you guys really "commute" to use your boats.

For us it's about 1.6 miles to the club or if using the mooring in front of the neighborhood it is about 60 yards to the dinghy then a 200 yard dinghy trip. Been riding my bike to the club lately...
Yup, but no choice. Got the boat way ofter the job that could afford the boat. Means either 1 hour to Lake Ontario and circle sail and return to the dock, 1 1/2 hours to Huron and circle sail or 2 hours to Georgian Bay and the best cruising grounds in Ontario and world renowned. Unfortunatley it means weekends only.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
900 miles, Muskoka Ontario to Oriental NC I win !
iwillmott,

Are you on Glory Days at Pecan Grove?? or is there another 40.5 in Oriental?? I know there is one at Hancock Yacht Club.
Man that's a long commute, how often do you get down here??

Capt. Ron,
S/V Wind Dreamer
Hunter 40.5
New Bern, NC

May 24, 2011
Marlow Hunter 40 Oriental, NC
900 miles, Muskoka Ontario to Oriental NC I win !
Wow! I go to Oriental also, but just takes be 2hrs 45 minutes from Raleigh....maybe 150 miles or so. Once there, it's less than a mile out the creek to good sailing on the river.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
I used to travel 3 hours to the Chesapeake Bay from my home. Now I travel 30 minutes from my home or office to my marina in SF Bay.

To answer Steve's question I go every weekend arriving Friday afternoon leaving Monday or Tuesday morning. Then back for the mid-week RYC evening race. So on the boat ~150 days/year.

Status
Not open for further replies.