How do you rig a 130 Genoea on an O’Day Mariner

Rob101

Jun 21, 2019
O’Day Mariner 2+2 Jax
I have a 1976 Mariner and only sailed it a few times. When I bought it , it did not have a regular jib but only a 130 % . I seen videos of regular jib rigging and I understand how that should work, but the 130 comes so far down the side of the boat its difficult to use because none of the rigging “fits right” . Ive got winches , but they seem out of place

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rob
With rigging a new to you boat, it is sometimes good to do it at a dock with no wind. Let’s you set up the sail and run the lines, then take pictures to remember or try to solve issues.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hoist the sail on a windless day at the dock. Pull the clew of the sail all the way aft, near the edge of the deck. You are going to determine where to set the neutral position of the lead block.... so you can draw with pencil, or just imagine a line that extends from the deck through the clew to the mid point on the luff... you are bisecting the angle created by the leech and foot of the sail at the back corner... the clew.

The idea is to have equal tension on both leech (rear edge) and the foot (bottom edge)... or the neutral position. But it is common to have some fore and aft adjustability with the lead blocks... there are a number of ways to set this up, depending on your budget. When you move the leads from the neutral position. the balanced tension is altered so that one edge will increase, while the other decreases. This creates a fuller or flatter sail as conditions warrant.

To get started, just a small block attached to a through bolted eye strap will suffice....adding a track and sliding car for the lead block will cost a lot more. As far as athwartship placement, for the large genoa headsails it is common to place them pretty far outboard. My boat's genoa track is on the rail... Many sailors will rig a second "inside" track for the smaller jib... or rig a device called a "barber hauler" that pulls the sheet inboard to change the angle between centerline and lead block position (called the tack angle)

Good luck.

Last edited:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
You cannot properly rig a 130 using the Mariner stock jib leads. There must be additional hardware on the coaming.

I recommend that you purchase a new, Mariner standard-size jib. You are going to want a standard jib anyway, for windier sailing days. Even in light air, the Mariner sails better with a standard jib, especially a new standard jib vs an old 130.

Join the Mariner Class Association. Pose the question and you will get multiple answers from people who own Mariners. Peruse the photo albums to see how other people have done things. Find the photo album for Myrl and you will see a very simple genoa lead/cleat system. The next album is Mariner 2360; it has a more complex system. I recommend that you not copy either of those until you have enough experience in headsail trim that you can design the configuration that is right for you. USMariner.org has the dimensions needed to order a new jib. In the meantime, you can sail the boat with just the mainsail.

Rob101

Jun 21, 2019
O’Day Mariner 2+2 Jax
I have a 1976 Mariner and only sailed it a few times. When I bought it , it did not have a regular jib but only a 130 % . I seen videos of regular jib rigging and I understand how that should work, but the 130 comes so far down the side of the boat its difficult to use because none of the rigging “fits right” . Ive got winches , but they seem out of place
4E0AAB50-7B3E-4F07-A0EC-D00E72CF5720.jpeg
7ED4AF5B-462F-4F7E-9E0F-0BEA4905FC9E.jpeg

Rob
With rigging a new to you boat, it is sometimes good to do it at a dock with no wind. Let’s you set up the sail and run the lines, then take pictures to remember or try to solve issues.
I’ ll Be doing it on the trailer , but thanks for replying

Rob101

Jun 21, 2019
O’Day Mariner 2+2 Jax
You cannot properly rig a 130 using the Mariner stock jib leads. There must be additional hardware on the coaming.

I recommend that you purchase a new, Mariner standard-size jib. You are going to want a standard jib anyway, for windier sailing days. Even in light air, the Mariner sails better with a standard jib, especially a new standard jib vs an old 130.

Join the Mariner Class Association. Pose the question and you will get multiple answers from people who own Mariners. Peruse the photo albums to see how other people have done things. Find the photo album for Myrl and you will see a very simple genoa lead/cleat system. The next album is Mariner 2360; it has a more complex system. I recommend that you not copy either of those until you have enough experience in headsail trim that you can design the configuration that is right for you. USMariner.org has the dimensions needed to order a new jib. In the meantime, you can sail the boat with just the mainsail.
Thanks, I’ll check those out.

Rob101

Jun 21, 2019
O’Day Mariner 2+2 Jax
Hoist the sail on a windless day at the dock. Pull the clew of the sail all the way aft, near the edge of the deck. You are going to determine where to set the neutral position of the lead block.... so you can draw with pencil, or just imagine a line that extends from the deck through the clew to the mid point on the luff... you are bisecting the angle created by the leech and foot of the sail at the back corner... the clew.

The idea is to have equal tension on both leech (rear edge) and the foot (bottom edge)... or the neutral position. But it is common to have some fore and aft adjustability with the lead blocks... there are a number of ways to set this up, depending on your budget. When you move the leads from the neutral position. the balanced tension is altered so that one edge will increase, while the other decreases. This creates a fuller or flatter sail as conditions warrant.

To get started, just a small block attached to a through bolted eye strap will suffice....adding a track and sliding car for the lead block will cost a lot more. As far as athwartship placement, for the large genoa headsails it is common to place them pretty far outboard. My boat's genoa track is on the rail... Many sailors will rig a second "inside" track for the smaller jib... or rig a device called a "barber hauler" that pulls the sheet inboard to change the angle between centerline and lead block position (called the tack angle)

Good luck.
Thanks, your description sounds similar to what is on it already.

Rob101

Jun 21, 2019
O’Day Mariner 2+2 Jax
I really need a standard jib, but I’m thinking of holding off until I can install a furler.

Is there any advantage of the 130? Is it faster , more power, if not why did the previous owner even bother with it?

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
Your original question has become much more interesting since you've posted the photos. None of the hardware on the coaming of your boat is original to the Mariner. However, there are other Mariners that have very similar modifications to those that yours has. Two boats come to my mind: Shoal Mate and Julie B. You can find photos on the Mariner Association site. Ask there. Both owners are active in the association and are glad to help.

In the meantime, you can ponder my guess: the genoa sheet is passed through the genoa lead block and then turned forward to the winch. Here's a photo of Julie B. in action:

However, instead of going to the winch, the sheet is instead brought up the the cabin top where a block turns it aftward again and through a cam cleat. The winch was not in use at the time of the photo.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is there any advantage of the 130? Is it faster , more power, if not why did the previous owner even bother with it?
Where do you sail?
Such a headsail is good in light to moderate steady winds.
Since you're in Florida, the protected waters of Tampa Bay or the Indian River, for example, would be good places for such a sail. If you sail where the are big gusts, or squirrelly winds, a 130 may be more headache than valuable. If you race, maybe it would be different. More power could win where you paid attention and were practiced in fast responses to changing conditions.

BTW, welcome to SBO. You are now a member of one of the best group of sailors on the Net, the Mariner Class Association excepted, for a Mariner owner. Those guys are the best. Also, congratulations on your beautiful boat. She is gorgeous. I love the name too.

-Will (Dragonfly, 1973 Mariner #2632)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
In the picture, there appears to be a horn or jam cleat forward of the unused winch. Also, the luff needs adjusting..... otherwise you can easily become overpowered. Looks like fun, doesn't it?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When sitting aft with genoa leads as on your boat, it sounds like a 130 was used with the line going forward to the winch which would create issues first having to go forward to secure leaving the tiller unattended and so on. You could use that sail in light airs but would suggest a smaller jib until you add additional gear aft of the genoa tracks and add a small fuler to the 130.

@jwing
Guntersville lake?

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
The Mariner sails better if the skipper and crew are sitting athwart or forward of the mainsheet block, so it does make sense to bring the genoa sheets forward from the lead car rather than aftward. (The mainsheet block is typically a bit forward of the center of the cockpit. This is contrary to Julie B. in the photo I posted. Julie B. has been additionally modified with a transom-mounted traveler, making the controls seemingly far apart, but they are still reachable for a solo sailor on a 19'er.)

A tiller extension is almost essential. The Mariner is well mannered, so with the addition of a tiller clutch, the skipper can take hands off the tiller to attend to other activities or make small changes to trim - it's not far to get back to the tiller and the clutch is unlocked with just a touch.

Crazy Dave: Yes, Guntersville Lake. I keep my boat at North Alabama Sailing Marina (nee Browns Creek Sailing Marina.)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
Yes, weeds definitely reduce the sailing area in the summer and on into the fall. One fall I spent an entire morning clearing a path from slip to ramp so that I could take my boat out for the winter. The last few years have been not so bad at the marina because somebody is using chemical warfare, but the lake is still bad. Probably worse because the springs and autumns are much warmer than in the past and the summer nights don't cool down like they did in years past. The good news is that the channels where the rivers once flowed (Tennessee and lower Browns Creek) are too deep for weeds. Also, I think the bass fishers like it.