How Do You Know Your AIS Transceiver Is Working?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a Vesper XB8000 class b transponder. The weekend before last I know it was working, as a neighbor in the mooring field said she saw me on her chartplotter, and I can also see an update for that date on marinetraffic.com. This past weekend, however, I didn't see me on marinetraffic.com. The online diagnostics on the unit check out, everything "green." Is there another way to see if my unit is transmitting my position?

Thanks,

jv

p.s. here, you can see the last position update was 5/28
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:4091356/mmsi:338206179/vessel:SAGITTARIUS

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Another option is Shipfinder.com. MarineTraffic.com has more receivers than Shipfinder, however Shipfinders covers areas that MarineTraffic doesn't. In my marina I never shop up on MarineTraffic, but I do show up on Shipfinders.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So,
  • marinetraffic.com last saw me last week (5/28);
  • vesslefinder.com last saw me yesterday (6/17);
  • shipfinder.com last saw me last year! (9/16/2017).

Any other definitive way to check?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Not unless you have a handheld receiver. Maybe a handheld radio on CH 70(?) that is connected to a portable AIS receiver built into a Tablet. Might be an expensive proposition. But I am sure it can be done.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Gotcha, Brian. I have my Icom MXA-5000 receiver, I guess I could install that.... Maybe that's a bit overboard, though.

Jan 11, 2014
I could be mistaken, however, I believe that most AIS receivers and transponders filter out signals that have the same MMSI number. So a handheld receiver that has the vessel's MMSI would not report the vessel.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I could be mistaken, however, I believe that most AIS receivers and transponders filter out signals that have the same MMSI number. So a handheld receiver that has the vessel's MMSI would not report the vessel.
Yes, indeed, but this is a receiver from another boat, with a different MMSI. But, it's a fixed mount, not a handheld.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
AIS is not dependent on the MMSI from the boat. I can see me on my portable when I am away from the boat. I can see me on the Ipad using Vessel Finder.
Remember you are only transmitting every 6 minutes while the Vesper XB8000 is turned on.
Go sailing and sign up with "Marine Traffic" website and you will get emails when you leave and enter port.

Jan 11, 2014
I can see me on my portable when I am away from the boat.
Do you have the MMSI plugged into the portable?

Go sailing and sign up with "Marine Traffic" website and you will get emails when you leave and enter port.
Ah, important information in case you forget where you are sailing to and from. :biggrin: Sort of like the United Airlines app that sends a text message as soon as I have landed.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In order for internet AIS service like MarineTraffic to 'see' you, you have to be in range of one of their affiliated AIS/internet receivers. Kind of like a cell tower in reverse. It receives the AIS signals and sends it to MarineTraffic. They have the same receive range as VHF/AIS radios, because that's what they are, just connected to the internet. No receiver no service.

Now to answer your next question; why do I see ships at sea? Because they report their AIS position/data via satellite.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
In order for internet AIS service like MarineTraffic to 'see' you, you have to be in range of one of their affiliated AIS/internet receivers. Kind of like a cell tower in reverse. It receives the AIS signals and sends it to MarineTraffic. They have the same receive range as VHF/AIS radios, because that's what they are, just connected to the internet. No receiver no service.

Now to answer your next question; why do I see ships at sea? Because they report their AIS position/data via satellite.
Yes, thanks JD, I knew that. I was curious because marionetraffic.com saw me on 5/28, not on the 6/16.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes, thanks JD, I knew that. I was curious because marionetraffic.com saw me on 5/28, not on the 6/16.
Gotcha, didn’t see that. You're right, at the same location and assuming the Ais receiver was on and heard you, you would expect it would. But you can’t be sure. Hence your question! ;-)

Oct 22, 2014
in case you forget where you are sailing to and from. :biggrin:
Or you can have the message sent to an email address of choice, like a spouse to let her know you boat is here or there.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Another option is Shipfinder.com. MarineTraffic.com has more receivers than Shipfinder, however Shipfinders covers areas that MarineTraffic doesn't. In my marina I never shop up on MarineTraffic, but I do show up on Shipfinders.
We also noticed that MarineTraffic frequently does not show all vessels. We’ve also noted that FindShip displays the date and time of the latest reported position. Don’t care for the Shipfinder app at all, at least the “Lite” version, which is practically useless.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Or, if YOU are at sea within VHF range of them, which is the true purpose of AIS...

Oct 22, 2014
I have found VesselFinder very easy to use and find my boat.