How do you know if your sails are "blown out"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Gautney

I keep reading about sails being "blown out" . . .How do you know? My 1993 23.5 has the original sails . . .they appear to be in good condition. I do not want to spend the money for new sails if I do not have to . . .How much better will the boat perform with new sails? What is the "compelling" information that will help me make this decision?

D

David Foster

Ask a sailmaker

A good sailmaker will inspect your sails on your rig, and recommend what changes would best fit your goals and budget. A good way to see yourself is to lie on the cabin top while under sail. Look at the belly of your main as it curves downwind of your boom on a close reach. If the maximum depth of the curve is 50 percent or more of the foot from the tack toward the clew - you probably need a new sail. Same for the foresail, but you don't have the nice boom to line up on. Replacing my main with a new Doyle partial full batten, loose footed main like those on this site increased our speed 1 to 1.5 knots in 10 to 15 knot winds, and reduced heel by 5 degrees. If you need them, new sails are the best step toward a "new boat" on the same hull. David Lady Lillie

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Working Harder and Enjoying it Less

It kinda creeps up on you. Notice if any of these things seem true: 1. The boat seems to heel more than it used to at the same wind speed. 2. It doesn't point as good or the jib is luffing when you're trying to keep up with someone else on a higher tack. 3. The boat doesn't seem to go as fast anymore and you think it's a dirty bottom. 4. The main seems to always be backwinded by the jib. 5. Gusts and puffs tend to knock you down more than they used to. 6. There is more weather helm than there used to be. If this sounds like your boat then you're probably a candidate for the sailmaker. One option that's going to be suggested is a "recut" where standardly they take some material out of the luff. This is a lot cheaper than a new sail but it's more of a stop-gap and doesn't bring back the new-sail shape completely. When the sail stretched it did it all along the chord, not just at the luff. It'll buy some time while shopping around for a replacement. Once you've spent the money you'll look back and be glad you did! If you don't believe me just ask anyone who bought new sails. Like David said, this is as close as you're going to get to having something that sails like a new boat.

K

Kevin

Ask Sail Trim Guy

He should be able to give you some pointers on sail shape as a function of age. I generally look at draft depth and location. In my limited experience older sails carry more draft further aft. Kevin

T

ted

original sails

we have the original u.k. sails on our 26.5. not the most expensive or prestigeous but good. checked out and washed everyyear by sailmaker - 50dollars - last year an extra 10dollars because of some minor stitching on the foresail leach where it rubs on stay. good bottom painting every year, and plenty of fleetwax on rest of hull and topsides. usually light cleaning and waxing of mast. sails are in excellent shape, new ones will do no or little better. still beating other larger boats on the bay. sail maker told us a while ago better for sails not to reef longer than necessary, foresail in particular. there again good sailmakers tend to be a bit particular over their sails! yes we sail a lot in light and heavy winds up to 30 knots this last season. as a general philosophy about a lot - 'a bad workman blames his tools' and there are plenty of those - bad workmen i mean. ted.

T

Tony Re

Nothing goes upwind like Money!

It is true. My hunter 40 was not competitive till I bought a New Main $5800 and a Jib (#1 ,.150% .3 DL $6300, Blade(#3).$3000 Drifter $3200, .5 spinaker $5000, ,85 Asymectical, $3800, and many others ..I have 13 sails. Anyway You WILL WIN WITH a GREAT 3DL from North Saiand a good .5 over sized shoot!! (if you can afford it ..a good Marathon Mail (carbon fiber to costly) I do not think you Race in the same type racing as in the North West but you will love it more with REAL SAILS ..not the CRAP hunter puts on originally. sorry Hunter but you know it is tru ..They are crusing sails ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.