How do I repair a cleat pulled out during Irma?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We have been aware since evacuating for Irma that our 1983 H31 had the port stern cleat pulled out during the storm. The attached pics were taken by a friend the day after the storm, and were sent to us overseas:
2017091195122743.jpg 2017091195122752.jpg

We are back in the country now, and will be heading to the boat to recommission the items removed for the storm, and of course repair this damage. My questions are as follows:

1) What is the best way to repair this hole before installing a new cleat?
2) How do I get access to the "back" side of this damage, for further evaluation and/or repair options?
3) Did Hunter install a backing plate on these stern cleats?
4) If Hunter did not use backing plates, is the wood in the picture a hull core?
5) Has anyone moved the location of the stern cleats on this boat? I have never been wild about this mounting location.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is the original location for the cleat. Not a good location and not of proper orientation to a straight out pull. I would repair the hole for cosmetic reasons but would look for a place to relocate the stern cleats; somewhere accessible for a backing plate.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have been aware since evacuating for Irma that our 1983 H31 had the port stern cleat pulled out during the storm. The attached pics were taken by a friend the day after the storm, and were sent to us overseas:
View attachment 143406 View attachment 143407

We are back in the country now, and will be heading to the boat to recommission the items removed for the storm, and of course repair this damage. My questions are as follows:

1) What is the best way to repair this hole before installing a new cleat?
2) How do I get access to the "back" side of this damage, for further evaluation and/or repair options?
3) Did Hunter install a backing plate on these stern cleats?
4) If Hunter did not use backing plates, is the wood in the picture a hull core?
5) Has anyone moved the location of the stern cleats on this boat? I have never been wild about this mounting location.
I will have to check, but I believe that area is accessible from inside the stern seat lazarettes or from the rear of the quarter berth and starboard lazarette. I will look at mine and see if there is a backing plate. If not I think I will add one to both of my stern cleats as well.
2015-03-29 16.44.59.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I will have to check, but I believe that area is accessible from inside the stern seat lazarettes or from the rear of the quarter berth and starboard lazarette. I will look at mine and see if there is a backing plate. If not I think I will add one to both of my stern cleats as well.
Thats a disaster waiting to happen. Again. Cleats should be loaded in shear, not tension. Find a way to run it forward or backward to a deck-level fairlead before heading to the dock.

Also put snubbers on your lines, that will help the shock-loading on the cleats. And dock.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
The plywood looks like the backing. I would get someone that knows fiberglass to fix that. And hopefully can repair it so it is better than original. As others have said and you have learned, not a great location for a cleat. Regardless I would have it repaired.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I would relocate the ensign mount and install a fairlead there like JackDaw suggested. Because of the split backstay the ideal real-estate for relocating the cleat is occupied.
Agree with Sailgunner that the plywood looks like the backer. Judging by the pic of the ripped laminate and eyeballing the thickness, there is no core in that area.
I would lightly saw out the major damage, then use a layer or two of 6 oz glass on the inside to seal it and create a backing for the repair. With a plunge router set to only 1/16" depth I'd route around the damaged area as far away as I can go without getting too close to edges above and below. Increase depth of the plunge router 1/16" as I step in closer to the big hole. You can do the same thing with a sander and feather the repair out, I just think that stepping with a plunge router is more effective and gives more obvious depth changes where the new laminate will progressively step in patch size, obviously deepest near the main hole. Polyester or Vinyl-ester resin per your preference should be fine, I would use Chopped Strand Matt starting deepest in the middle to build to build out the repair, then a biax cloth on the last few layers. Some fairing and gelcoat will finish it up... I would just hire a gel-coat guy; I loath trying to color match gel-coat or buying any quantity that ends up unused. You can use a new plywood backer if you want, but see if you can track down a scrap of G10 without buying a whole sheet. My local plastics supplier sells off-cuts for $2 a pound, I've got like 20 pounds of the stuff, lol.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
View attachment 143409
Jackdaw said it best, from the picture, your rear cleat is loaded in tension (straight pull) and is at its weakest point. In your docking situation and as a permanent improvement I would install a cleat at midship to make use of spring lines. These will allow you to move the boat's stern back from the dock's cleat creating an angle of pull which would result in the cleat being loaded in "shear".

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
All good tips, which are appreciated. CloudDiver, thanks for the detail and specificity.

My boat does not have the ensign mount that you see in Chip's picture. Will have to look at that location as an option, but the stern pulpit may be in the way. There is also a false ceiling in the quarter berth underneath that location. I suspect I would need to install an access port in the ceiling to get access to the underside of the deck.

@pateco - Let me know what you find when you take a look. I still haven't made it to the boat yet.