How difficult to load M25?

Jan 23, 2018
MacGregor 25 Springfield
I am considering the purchase of an M25 on a trailer. My immediate plans would be to leave it at the marina dry storage with mast up. The present owner discouraged the purchase, stating that having a keel which did not fully retract, the boat was not easily loaded onto the trailer, with a potential for centering problems and or damage. Are they that problematic?

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
I have never had any problem loading on the trailer. If you have wind on the side it may make it harder. I added boat trailer guide posts after the first two years. With the guide posts it is easy. Some people add a vee at the front to guide the boat to the bow stop. If I could find a mast up storage where I could just launch and recover whenever I wanted to go out I would do it myself. Then you don't have to worry about bottom paint and the boat is safe on the trailer when not in use.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
[Pfffttt] I load and unload my M25 by myself all the time. installing goal posts on the trailer is a big help to get lined up when loading with a side wind, but it's literally a 2 minute job either way. Does the boat come with the original Mac single axle trailer? perhaps it's some mismatched trailer that causes problems???

Jan 23, 2018
MacGregor 25 Springfield
Thank you guys for the input. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm no stranger to boat ramps, and was a little baffled by the warning. I didn't ask if it was the factory trailer, it looked like an okay fit. I wondered myself and will check into it. Thanks again.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The original trailer is a very simple affair. notable short behind the wheels. (click pic to enlarge)
P1030047.jpg