How Did Your Passion For Sailing Begin?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had never stepped foot on a sail boat until I was about 50. Went out for a Sunday afternoon sail on a boat owned by by son's girlfriends father.

Was instantly hooked...wife named out first boat "Obsession".

On my second boat now...no looking back!

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Chapter Three:

In 1980 our family was transferred from Aloha, OR to Everett, WA where we settled into a nice home overlooking the water in Mukilteo, WA. Family and career came first, then in 1986, with the Puget Sound waters tugging, we came across a Buccaneer 30 for sail that was being refitted. Just as we were about to pull the trigger on the purchase, we got transfer orders to Las Colinas, TX for a 12-18 month management development assignment. Ten years later, I retired at the age of 55 after 30+ years, golden parachute you see, well closer to a silver one. That was in 1997.

The draw of the water was still there and on a sunny day in March 1999, on our way to the Tulip Festival in La conner, we stopped by the Everett Marina to check out boats. This was after evaluating a number of boats that just did not pass family muster; one an H27 that we spent a race day on, with me at the thriller tiller. But later Our Quest was a very nice 1989 H28 resting in E-13, begging for a new owner. We decided to give her a try and figured that if after a year or two sailing just was not in the cards, well, she would still fetch a good re-sale price.

The sailing bug bit the skipper much harder than the admiral, but she enjoyed it, too. We cruised Our Quest around the islands for three years and really enjoyed the experiences. It was the morning of September 11, 2001, at anchor in Deer Harbor, making ready to sail over to Sydney, BC for a week long cruise. I was standing in the general store picking up a few final things before heading out only to observe on their television that fateful and frightening morning. Needless to say, we were advised by border security not to cross, lest we not be able to reenter. So, our remaining cruise was spent gunk holing around the San Juan Islands.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Like the OP, I was introduced to boating at a very early age. We had a slough on the farm, and one day our Dad built a punt for us from a sheet of plywood and some 2x12's. Apparently because the rafts my sister and I built kept sinking... We did "sail" it by hanging out a sheet and sailing downwind down the slough, then paddling back upwind.
When I was around 12, I was designing and building minibikes using a 4hp B&S I rescued from a roto-tiller. But since I was essentially "growing up on the shores of Harrison Lake", I decided to build a hydroplane using my little engine. It didn't work out very well (it floated and moved, but didn't get up on plane) so at maybe 14 I changed it into a sailboat, with a wooden mast and sail made out of a bedsheet (remember, I had NO plans or training on how to build these things...). It sailed OK, but not really upwind.
By 16 or so, I was upgrading to building a 12-ft catamaran. By the time it was finished I was going to University and joined the UBC Sailing Club, so I found a Flying Junior mast and sails for my cat.
Next I started working as a drafter at BC Hydro, and the woman in front of me and behind me both had cruising sailboats, so they were constantly talking through me about sailing and cruising. I soon gave in and bought a Venture (McGregor) 22 and the Rest is History ;)

I do still build boats. I've in the process of building a flat-bottomed 8.5ft dinghy for Wind Drift, and a "12-ft" cedar dory (dories are measured by the floor length, not overall length. This one is about 15ft overall) for the Fraser River, which is a good golf-shot off our back deck.

druid

Dec 25, 2000
Dad built a punt for us from a sheet of plywood and some 2x12's.
Is a punt like a pontoon raft? Never heard that term before, aside from a type of football kick.

Quite the story of you growing up around boats. A B&S engine would have been a better choice than that cantankerous drag saw engine. Could never get it to run quite right. Ran more like a hit and miss engine.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"PUNT" An English term for a flat bottomed boat often poled in the shallows. Preferably with a young woman in the bow lounging before her guy while being serenaded on a lazy warm day.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
"PUNT" An English term for a flat bottomed boat often poled in the shallows.
If you are from Louisiana, it is called a Pirogue or "John Boat" (the flat bottom version).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirogue (pee rogue)
My neighborhood friends and I made one out of plywood and 2x4's. We did not sail it, but "Tom Sawyer'd" it on the river (Baton Rouge flooding one).
Ahhh the many ways man is drawn to the seas.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
Jim. Sounds familiar. In my youth did that on a river in Memphis for a summer afternoon.

Did you have the admiration of a young woman on the Pirogue?

Dec 25, 2000
Chapter Four:

Then in 2001 we decided we like cruising so much it was time for a larger more comfortable boat that had amenities for extended cruising plus strong enough for off shore conditions. Skipper liked what the 40.5 had to offer, but admiral was noncommittal. Searched in some earnest, then looked at one at a dealer dock on Lake Union that had just come up from Portland; a live aboard. A bit rough, but was nicely equipped for off shore work.

As we were making ready to leave, the broker offered to show us a boat that was just coming onto the market from charter; a 1991 P42. Skipper and admiral went aboard to check her out, and as the admiral came out of the aft cabin, she said that if we're getting a bigger boat this is the one I want. No argument here, dear.

A bit later in the fall of 2001 the broker referred me to another broker out of Bellingham where there was a P42 that had just come on the market. So, my new best friend John with several years of boating experience and I drove to Semi-ah-moo to check her out. Belle-Vie was a very lightly used 1991 model with owners eager to sell due to medical issues. Then awhile later the broker called with bad news; she was back off the market. Darn!

In early 2002 by chance I called the broker and asked the status. He said she had just come back on the market and the owners needed to sell. After a sea trial and a marine survey that resulted in very high marks we made an offer. After some dickering the deal closed with the necessary repairs (replaced three frozen seacocks) as part of the deal were done in March of 2002. The rest as they say is history.

Belle-Vie has been a marvelous boat, stiff, strong, fast and comfortable, cruising her several thousands of miles all over PNW waters. Many extended (two month) cruises deep into British Columbia and visiting countless San Juan Island and Puget Sound venues. No regrets here. Occasionally I think about how different it would have been had we settled for the 40.5, also a very nice boat. But only occasionally.

SBC3.jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I started young. Here I am sailing my first boat with my brother back in ≈ 1975.
FB_IMG_1478533802228.jpg

Sailed Sunfish, and hobbies as a kid, then went to Annapolis for college.
Sailed Navy Yawls and Lazers my first year.
2016-11-07 16.00.31.jpg

Then switched to the offshore team and sailed aboard Rattlesnake a 65' Aluminum centerboard ketch.
FB_IMG_1478533417554.jpg

And then SemperFi (ex Recluta) a 48' mahogany Frehrs.
FB_IMG_1478533437006.jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Nice shot with the rail in the water. Pretty exciting.
Rattlesnake was a crazy fast boat. 65' long with an almost flat bottom and a 15' fully retractable centerboard. Crew of 25. The mizzen cockpit was as large as the cockpit on my H31, and we flew a mizzen spinnaker downwind.
FB_IMG_1478552215565.jpg

Downwind with the centerboard partially retracted she would plane. She was too big to be very relaxing to sail. Braided stainless sheets and huge coffee grinder winches. Any hardware failure caused serious injuries. We had multiple broken arms and a broken leg aboard the semester I sailed her.
FB_IMG_1478552194105.jpg

FB_IMG_1478552166904.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I started with El-Toro's in Jr high, along with crewing on boats for Friday around the harbor in Port Angeles. I sailed school boats while attending the University of Washington. When started first job - I bought a Clark (basically a I14) and sailed it on the Snake and Columbia Rivers. I moved up to a "BIG" boat shortly afterward and purchased a brand new C-22. I got married and for our honeymoon spent a week in a Mornings 39 in BVI. Kids and a bigger mortgage caused the sale of the 22 and temporary absence (I did send the kids to sailing schools) - now back in Seattle and kids out of college purchased latest boat - a experienced Catalina 36. Having fun with it.

Les

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
One day when I as 16 I asked to borrow some money to buy a small sailboat. I had always been attracted to the docks. I was hooked from the first sail. Now 36 years later I am fulfilling a dream of sailing around the world. 5 years into it I should be done in 4 years from now but I will still have another 20 years left in me then so the big question I am fighting now is do I keep going for a second trip around or what next?

Oct 22, 2014
Franklin you could checkout one of those new foil boats. Then the second trip you'd be able to do it in half the time. Those boats fly.
IMG_1459.JPG
Here is one of the day sailors. Think it is a moth. You'd need one a bit bigger but imagin flying 3 feet above the surface at 20 mph.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Franklin you could checkout one of those new foil boats. Then the second trip you'd be able to do it in half the time. Those boats fly.
View attachment 130409
Here is one of the day sailors. Think it is a moth. You'd need one a bit bigger but imagin flying 3 feet above the surface at 20 mph.
In 10 foot swell with 6 foot wind waves for 8 days, na, not my style.