How big of a trailer winch?

Mar 23, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
Our 34 year old winch (like much of the trailer) has seen better days. It just does not want to lock into position. So, it's getting replaced. It's a 1200# rated winch.

Any reason, to go bigger? 1500, 1800, 2600#???

I found the following thread to be very interesting and helpful for loading the boat.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...g-my-retrieval-procedure.185376/#post-1375571

The other problem I'm having is how do you know if you have the keel into the V channel without pulling the boat at least partway out of the water? Or sinking your head underwater, under the boat?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Boat weight to winch capacity is typically a 2:1 ratio. If you have rollers, then 3:1.
Regarding making sure you have the keel in the v-channel...you either have to pull out or dive under and check. Not sure of any other way to do that without a visual inspection. I use trailer guides, so it is a non-issue as the boat is always centered when pulling out. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
how do you know if you have the keel into the V channel without pulling the boat at least partway out of the water
We have goal uprights made from plastic pipe on either side of the rear of the trailer.
They help a lot when the wind is up.
Our trailer doesn't have a keel guide. Just a flat keel support made from 2x6 wood.
With the goal post guides, it's not been an issue so far, but we haven't loaded in really heavy winds.
The keel has ended up an inch or so to one side or the other at the rear of the keel, but always acceptable.

Before the fall haulout time comes, I will be replacing the old flat wood keel support with a new one that includes a keel guide that has a V at the rear. Along with the uprights, that should solve any possibilities of misalignment.

I don't see larger winch size as a huge importance compared to powerboats, since you float a C22 onto the trailer, not pull it on.

I use trailer guides, so it is a non-issue as the boat is always centered when pulling out.
+1

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
After a season of wrangling the keel while loading at the boat ramp -- I added guide posts as well. worked like a champ first time out -- my keel roller is my margin of error, and without thinking about it we nailed it.

I also sprung for the LED tail and running lights version-- cheap visibility:

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

Mar 23, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
After a season of wrangling the keel while loading at the boat ramp -- I added guide posts as well. worked like a champ first time out -- my keel roller is my margin of error, and without thinking about it we nailed it.

I also sprung for the LED tail and running lights version-- cheap visibility:

View attachment 154296
View attachment 154297
Wow those are some serious guides. Will definitely be doing that next season. Standing in the water keeping the boat centered while @Siren pulled the boat out was not fun. Then realizing it was off center and having to back back down to get it correctly lined up, while I'm still standing in the water was even less fun.

I installed a new WM 1500 winch (which was on sale this week) and a new keel roller and the boat slide right up into place very easily.

As always, thanks for the help.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I also use guide posts on most of my boat trailers. They make the job of centering the boat on the trailer MUCH easier, especially when you have a little cross wind or cross current to deal with. The posts also give you a convenient place to mount your trailer lights, where they will not get submerged every time you dunk the trailer.