How big is your dipstick?

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Your transmission dipstick that is...:)

it's the Kanzaki model KM2P-1 on the 3ym20 of course.
I tightened it too much and broke off the threaded portion. bought a new one, supposedly the correct item: 177088-02451

However, as you can see in the pic, it's about 3/4 inch longer. Now it screws in fine. Just wondering if the new one is the wrong one or the old one was wrong?

How long is yours?

Anyone know if that's the correct part number or not? (177088-02451)

thanks for any help - Dave, in Tampa.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al

I tightened it too much and broke off the threaded portion. bought a new one, supposedly the correct item: 177088-02451

However, as you can see in the pic, it's about 3/4 inch longer. Now it screws in fine. Just wondering if the new one is the wrong one or the old one was wrong?

How long is yours?

give me 5 dollars and i'll show you mine :D

seriously ....take the old and the new back to mastery and show them they should be able to sort it out ...by the way what did that thing cost.....

Apr 13, 2015
I actually got it at Seafarer Marine. I love Mastry but they aren't open on Saturday or at lunch and it's hard to get there during their hours with my job schedule.

Regarding the price, I think it was $18ish. :eek:

Dave

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
thank you for the price heads up the other place should be able to do the same thing ...they are under the mastery blanket

slaume

Feb 21, 2014
Cape Dory 30 C Noank
It kind of looks like the new one would read the same as the old one if it wasn't screwed in. Unscrew it, wipe it off and just stick it back in for a correct reading.

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan

How long is yours?

In my manual the dips tick shows both a high and low mark but my dipstick is like your original with only one mark. Does your new dipstick have two marks?

Apr 13, 2015
There's only the one mark on both. The only difference seems to be the length. I could mark it at the level of the original, but just wanted to know if anyone could let me know what the measurement of theirs was.

Dave.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
turn the old one around and but the bottom of the old one to the base of the new one and it it matches just check the oil by dipping the stick back in the hole without screwing it down like you have to do on the old one

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
There's only the one mark on both. The only difference seems to be the length. I could mark it at the level of the original, but just wanted to know if anyone could let me know what the measurement of theirs was.

Dave.
Understand. My manual shows two marks but I only have the one. I was just curious. The best thing you could probably do is contact Yanmar technical with your question. I have the same gearbox as you do.

Mar 3, 2015
Hunter 280 Oakdale
What you need to be concerned with are two things, 1 does the new stick fit being longer and if so does the fill mark line match for new to old measured from the top not the bottom. if it does you are measuring the same point. I hope this helps

Apr 13, 2015
Hi Mike, thanks, you are correct.

1. The new stick threads in easily and its length doesn't cause it to "hit bottom".
2. It's fill mark is NOT in the same spot in relation to the trans case.

So the old one shows exactly the proper amount of oil, the new one says its way over full.

Hence my question - can anyone tell me how long theirs is?

Note: I'm happy to discuss this with the suppliers but would really like to have that conversation being able to say "several 309 owners have ones that measure X length".

Thanks folks...Dave

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
The quickest way to destroy your transmission is to have too little oil in it. I would suggest changing the trans oil and putting in exactly the correct amount as per your service manual. Run the trans in gear for a while. Then take your new stick out,, clean it and mark where new full mark is with a file.

Since the place you bought it from sold you the the obviously wrong stick, expecting them to sort it out correctly is....unlikely.

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 Mystic, CT
I was once told by a local small engine repair guy that there is a difference in technique for checking oil level between American made products and Japanese. He stated that US engines assume that the dipstick will be fully screwed in or pushed in while Japanese builders assume that the dipstick will NOT be screwed in but rested on the top of the threads. This is an important distinction if true. I can say that the few Honda small engines I've had follow this notion where my US made engines do not. My Honda Accord does expect the dipstick to be pushed all the way in.

The difference is actual oil level in a marine transmission could be serious (read expensive) if we don't do this right.

Nov 21, 2014
San Juan 24 Pender Island BC
Hi Dave_dd,
A funny story about the old Pontiac Fiero, a midengine sporty car made during the '80s: the cars were prone to catching fire. Ideas were inadequate hosing for the long hoses required, inadequate ventilation, and a bunch of other stuff. The recall fixed the problem by incorporating a new, re-calibrated dipstick. The old dipstick meant not enough oil was put into the engine. The new dipstick had a higher fill mark. My now-wife had one; fortunately, it did not self-immolate!
Rod

Apr 13, 2015
Some interesting thoughts....

Sailbad - you are correct. I've seen in numerous places that the proper way to check this dipstick is to take it out, wipe it off, then hold it back in without threading it down and check. That's the way I've grown used to doing it. But good distinction to remind folks of!

Morgan_donor - That's exactly what I've been thinking I would do as it gives me the best plan I believe. Thanks for confirming my thoughts...!

And I've gotten the parts manual on the transmission. It shows 3 versions of the transmission, but all use this exact same part number as the dipstick. So....I don't think I actually got the wrong part, I think it might have "evolved" over time...but we'll see what happens when I ensure the proper amount of oil in the thing and test where it ends up.

Thanks...it's always something...right? David

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
That "always something" keeps us engaged. :)

Let us know how it works out.

Apr 3, 2013
Hunter 31 Portland
Guys would one of you with the same transmission as his please measure your stick and tell Dave the measurement? All of your suggestions are good ones, but he's asking for the length. That would really help him.

I'd list it from the bottom of the threads to the submerged tip of the stick. And from the tip up to the fill line. If he had those two measurements he could decide how to proceed.

Can someone do that for him?

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Seems the lubricant capacity is 0.32 qt.

http://www.navela.hr/site_media/media/cms_page_media/9/outline KM2P-1.pdf

Some more interesting links and details on the transmission;

If you want to see pictures and rear seal replacement;
http://www.tartan3500.com/uploads/3/1/1/9/3119926/replacetransmissionseal.pdf

Reference:
http://www.yanmarhelp.com/i_box2.htm

Extract from engine service manual:

You want to see what is inside the transmission, and bench test it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCo16Os09vU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-9XlScJAz4

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dave,
Hope this information helps and doesn't confuse things further.
I have a 3Ym30 engine with KM2P-1 transmission. My dipstick resembles your new one. It measures 4 5/32" from the tip of the dipstick to the inside plastic flange (that the O ring seats against). Sorry for the difference in methodology, but you can compare your measurement to mine.
Now the confusing part. The Yanmar manual states that the dipstick should be inserted completely to check the oil level. What does that mean, should it be screwed in all the way or inserted all the way so that the plastic threads are resting on the filler hole? I have always checked it with the threads just resting on the filler hole. Really the only way to know for sure is to drain the transmission and replace the oil and then remeasure with the dipstick.
Here's some additional info. The oil recommended is SAE 20 or 30. The stated capacity is 0.3 liters or 0.32 quarts.
Let us know how you make out. Definitely has me wondering AGAIN what the proper method is for checking the fluid!

Apr 13, 2015
Hey Compass- thanks for the nudge on folks! :). I do wish I could get a measurement from another Catalina 309.

BigEasy - thanks mucho. your measurement matches the new one exactly - thanks. I agree the manual's wording is confusing, but I do think they mean put it in fully without threading it. BTW- I grew up sailing on the south shore of lake Pontchartrain before moving to fla in 1987!

We'll see better when I drain and refill. Might not be able to get there before the weekend with my schedule.

Thanks all, Dave