Hot water tank temperature controller- Catalina 320.

Aftica

Sep 4, 2018
Catalina 320 Cobourg Ontario, Lake Ontario.
We have had our 2000 C320 boat for 2 seasons and loving it. I turned on the hot water tank and got distracted...lol. It was left on for over 30 minutes and noticed the water was extremely hot. Checked below and saw the hot water hose between the tank and the sink faucets bulging ready to burst. We opened the water valve to relieve the pressure and turned off the hot water via its circuit breaker. I suspect that the hot water tank has a temperature controller and it has failed. I will be replacing the hose with a proper hot water hose. Question: does the tank have a temperature controller ? If so, is it accessible?
What has to be dismantled to get to it? If not, can one be installed ?
Any help and or guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks
Aftica

Aftica

Sep 4, 2018
Wow that was quick. Thank you for the quick response and info. Will be looking into it. Thanks.
Yvan

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow that was quick.
Welcome to the forum. I know it surprises a lot of folk that the sailors here have ideas and we willingly share with our sailing friends in Canada. No tariff involved. :)
Tell us about your boat, your sailing experiences and what 2 seasons of "Loving it" has been like.
Fair winds. :yeah::biggrin:

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If you have kids a thermonic mixing valve is nice for when motoring. If your 120 system is working hot water is 120-140 degrees. Running engine will get it up to engine temp 185 or so.

Aftica

Sep 4, 2018
No tariffs... love it.
Sailing since 2008. raced on a Viking 33. Loved it, got a 84 Hunter 34. Raced, Cruised the Hunter. Sold Hunter spring 2017 and got the 320. Retired now, it’s Just getting out there. Our crew won the 2017 LO300 in whitesail In a CS30..
Back to tank. It does have a PRV but didn’t release. Winter project, replace tank.
all have been most helpful.
Aftica ~ _/) ~

Aftica

Sep 4, 2018
Running engine did get the water up there.
Thanks
~ _/) ~

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
If you are replacing the water heater, consider Isotemp SPA. A bit more expensive, but it is SS and it comes with thermostatic mixing valve (about $150 (cad)). If you cannot find it closer to home, Marine Outfitters out of Kingston can source it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I don't see your brand of heater, but i got a thermostat for my cold water heater AT A CAMPING SUPPLY PLACE IN BOWIE, md.. +1 TO THE THERMO VALVE. i INSTALLED ONE, AND THE MANY CREW I GET LOVE IT. AND IT IS VARIABLE.

Apr 18, 2012
Catalina 400 MKI 67 LaSalle,Mi
I have a Seaward water tank, The thermostat was bad when we bought the boat and heating element. All can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot or a plumbing store.