Hot Water Heater

Mar 12, 2015
catalina 30 deerfield beach fl
I have a 85 Cat 30 New M-25XPB engine. How does my water heater (in port cockpit Lazarette) get connected ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
BI are you talking about connection from the heater to the plumbing system, or connection from the engine to the heat water while the engine is running?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well first you need a heater that has 4 hose connections. Two are for leads to the engine. the other two are Cold in and Hot out to the fresh water plumbing.

If you have a water heater so configured, then you need to run hoses from the engine on the side water out from the engine (hot side) to the Heater. Then run the out of Heater to your heat exchanger and back to engine.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If there's a water heater and it's not connected, it's probably because it is broken, i.e., leaking from coolant to potable water side.

Mar 12, 2015
The water heater was connected to the old engine and when replaced was not connected. With the new M25XPB it does not allow the same connections.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The water heater was connected to the old engine and when replaced was not connected. With the new M25XPB it does not allow the same connections.
I'm not following you. What do you mean "not allow the same connections?" The installer screwed up, or took a shortcut.

Mar 12, 2015
Do you have to hook hose to the thermostat at top or bottom with thermostat bypass? Replacing that hose or where do hose connections go on the engine. I have an optional high rise manifold on the engine.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Make it look like page 33 connections.. coolant leaves from below the thermostat and comes back to the coolant pump just above the shaft .. Search on "burping the water heater" or something like that on this site to get an idea of how to get all the air out..

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Suggest you PM member Stu Jackson.. there is some great info on the Cat 34 site and maybe pictures of the connections.. I thought I had a shot of those connections, but they are hidden in my picture.. Good Luck, Big Dog and good luck with the connections.. Welcome aboard!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
some tricks on a new water heater engine heater hoses install is 1/ have extra antifreeze ready because it will come out of the fittings near the thermostat block; 2/ attach heater supply hose onto the engine block side 1st, then fill the hose as full as possible w antifreeze, hold it high up to avoid drips, then quickly attach it onto the water heater fitting. do the same w/ second hose. this way, only the heater loop inside the water heater is full of air and you don't have much of a bleed job. fill the water heater with water, turn on the engine and the air in the water heater internal loop with usually bleed itself out.