Horsing around and the Hammerlock Moor

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There have been several posts here on SBO on a boat's tendency to "sail" or "yaw" at anchor when anchored on a single hook. The solutions offered that I've noticed include putting up a riding sail, rigging a variation of the Pardey Bridle as it is sometimes called, or, in the extreme, putting down a second anchor. The second anchor is either a stern anchor or a second bow anchor where the rodes form a 45-deg angle at the bow, etc. The two bow anchors are usually depicted as having similar scopes.

There is something called the Hammerlock Moor reported to ease especially violent "horsing" at anchor as it is also called. Apparently the H-moor is well known generally; but, of course, not to everybody. With the H-moor one can drop a second bow anchor "underfoot" with minimum scope to act as a snubber, OR--drop at the extreme point of the sheer to one side, and then secure the rode to ride a minor bridle that is formed as the bow aligns head-to-wind while sheering back on the opposite tack. The second anchor is also allowed only short scope. This modified version of the H-moor is reportedly more effective than dropping underfoot. It also works with the rodes crossed at the bow. If the wind is strong and then veers or backs, the anchor on the shorter scope may be "permitted" to drag along as the boat lies to the new wind. Thus, it continues to dampen the horsing.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
There have been several posts here on SBO on a boat's tendency to "sail" or "yaw" at anchor when anchored on a single hook. The solutions offered that I've noticed include putting up a riding sail, rigging a variation of the Pardey Bridle as it is sometimes called, or, in the extreme, putting down a second anchor. The second anchor is either a stern anchor or a second bow anchor where the rodes form a 45-deg angle at the bow, etc. The two bow anchors are usually depicted as having similar scopes.

There is something called the Hammerlock Moor reported to ease especially violent "horsing" at anchor as it is also called. Apparently the H-moor is well known generally; but, of course, not to everybody. With the H-moor one can drop a second bow anchor "underfoot" with minimum scope to act as a snubber, OR--drop at the extreme point of the sheer to one side, and then secure the rode to ride a minor bridle that is formed as the bow aligns head-to-wind while sheering back on the opposite tack. The second anchor is also allowed only short scope. This modified version of the H-moor is reportedly more effective than dropping underfoot. It also works with the rodes crossed at the bow. If the wind is strong and then veers or backs, the anchor on the shorter scope may be "permitted" to drag along as the boat lies to the new wind. Thus, it continues to dampen the horsing.
Yup, that goes way back and can be very effective. Good to have in your arsenal, and very easy to do. The scope is too short to cause tangles and unlike other two-anchor schemes, a smaller lunch hook works.
  • The second anchor must be one that is good at very short scope. No Danforth types.
  • If the second is at very short scope, even if set at the extreme of swing, it will eventually drag and move under the bow.
  • Unless the boat was dancing something incredible, the scope will be very short.
  • It will take you out of sync with the other boats unless you lift it when the wind changes.
  • If you drag across another boat's rode, that's very bad.
  • In very strong winds it will become progressively less effective (since the force is constant). You also need to fix the imbalance that is causing the yawing.
  • Boats with all-rope will behave more like chain so long as they keep the hammer lock scope very short. and the anchor light. A handy trick.
--

Horsing is a popular term because it sounds nautical. Some use it to mean all motion. Some commercial studies use yawing for side-to-side motion along the arc of the rode, and horsing for fore-aft movement associated with rode or catenary stretch. Obviously, they can be combined.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
  • It will take you out of sync with the other boats unless you lift it when the wind change
I think this is an important point to consider when there are other boats nearby. I'd be happy to use the Hammerlock when anchoring in "seclusion" to reduce the yawing/horsing that we often experience. I'd probably use my genuine Bruce, an anchor smaller than me bower but one that "sets" quickly on short scope. It would be perfect for this job!:dancing:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This web page," Anchoring 201 "has some excellent pictures of several different methods.
Regrettably, the page does not show the configuration I'm referring to. It can be seen on p. 297, Fig. 10.6 of Knight's Modern Seamanship, 18th Edition, 1988. I'm sure that everyone has a copy of this work readily available on the shelf at home! Ha!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Regrettably, the page does not show the configuration I'm referring to. It can be seen on p. 297, Fig. 10.6 of Knight's Modern Seamanship, 18th Edition, 1988. I'm sure that everyone has a copy of this work readily available on the shelf at home! Ha!
I thought this was what your were talking about.
From Anchoring 201 "The hammerlock moor (figure 4) is a technique that’s hard to beat if your boat is horsing about in gusty winds. It consists of dropping a secondary anchor on short scope beneath the boat’s bow – the primary anchor continues to take the brunt of the load, but the boat’s horsing will be dampened by the secondary, which also reduces ground tackle strain considerably. During substantial wind changes, this secondary anchor will likely drag to a new position relative to the wind shift. Relax. It’s all part of the master plan of drudging, the intentional dragging of an anchor. Once settled in the new position, it’ll continue to operate as before."
Figure4
HamerlockMoor.JPG

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I saw that. It's the "version" of the H-moor where the anchor is dropped directly underfoot instead of at a maximum point of sheer.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Funny that the illustration shows perhaps the worst type of anchor to use. A Bruce, for example, is much better.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I've often used this, or a variation of it when running the ICW. Put the bower out up or down the ditch, a needed, then set the secondary off the bow toward the shore, on a short scope- Stops the boat from swinging out into the main part of the waterway. On the gulf coast, the tows run 24/7 and you don't want to be in the way !!