Hood 810LD assist

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Launch prep is not going well for me. After I dropped my rudder and propshaft as part of my dripless shaft seal projecf , I decided to finish the day doing something positive, like putting on my genoa. Well it wouldn't furl very easily, in fact it was a struggle. I poked my head in the anchor locker where the drum resides. Inside the locker were the two broken pieces of my Hood's centering clamp.
First I need to order a new one. My question is, can I install it without dropping the mast? It's a 2-part clamp so in theory I should able to. Will the drum lift up to where I can put it where it needs to go? The manual isn't real clear how it fits. Anyone have any experience with this clamp?
I do not want to buy a new furler!

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
O. I know this one. The nylon Allen screw on furl unit about 1' up take that out. It may be stainless as I change mine last time. Of course you already remove sail. Now furl unit will pull up to deck and you can squeeze under there and replace

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Great! Thank you! I'll have to drop my sail again, but better to find this now rather than on the water.
Calling Pompanette (Hood) today to order the new part.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just ordered my centering clamp from Pompanette. $30 shipped. They confirmed that I can install it without dropping the mast. Whew!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I did mine without having to remove. I just hooked the halyard to the drum, disconnected the retention shackle from the forestay base and lifted the drum out of the way. Just be careful its fiddly. I managed to drop half of my new one overboard, and had to get a mask and dive for it. Luckily we had clear water that day, it is not very heavy, and it didn't sink into the silt.