Hollow Braid Rope?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...Location of the jacklines is also a consideration.
Also length; over about 35 feet line length, polyester arguably stretches too much. That said, Dyneema also needs to be stronger (and the mountings) because the forces are higher. I think the obvious answer is that one-size cannot fit all. (edit--I just saw Jackdaw's post. There you go.)

To me one of the greatest considerations is UV resistance. I have always (multiple boats) left jacklines rigged full-time, since I never know when I will need them and I single hand most of the time. In that case, even polyester webbing doesn't last long.

Finally, try to keep them away from under foot. Many boats can run them along cabin sides or similar. Not always.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sorry, haven't read the entire thread. If not mentioned before, if you have rope that is lying around and you liked it, just remove the core and use the outer braid. Nothing better than repurposed rope, right?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I understand your stretch comment if you are running the jacklines from a bow attachment point to a stern attachment point along the port and starboard decks of the boat. The challenge with that is you need 2 lines and the location on the boat means with tether you will be off the boat and swinging in the water should you loose your footing because of the stretch and location of the jacklines.

What has been suggested and I have been using is a center jackline. The line runs are shorter (cockpit to mast, mast to bow). There is less on the deck to trip on. I can lean against the tether and I come up short of the life line (reduced chance of being over the side). Drawback. To get to the bow you have to have tethers attached to the jack line and clip onto the tethers. So I have 2 tethers positioned on the jackline ready to use. Before I leave the cockpit click onto the first length. Move to the mast, click on the bow tether and unclick the center tether. Coming back reverse the process. This has worked well.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
To me one of the greatest considerations is UV resistance. I have always (multiple boats) left jacklines rigged full-time, since I never know when I will need them and I single hand most of the time. In that case, even polyester webbing doesn't last long.
For jacklines I use 1” tubular nylon that I had a rigging shop make up a few years back. I remove it from the deck pad-eyes, rinse and air dry, then seal in ziplock and store in a cabinet (dark) when I put the boat away. So, it does not stay on deck in the sun and weather when the boat is at home. Normally, it does not come out for daysailing unless it looks as if it might be unusually bouncy. The most usage is when making some kind of “passage” across open waters, especially if I’m single handing, which is often these days. I’m not really happy w/ the harness-tether set that I have. The clip to the jackline is heavy, made of steel, & bangs the deck, etc., when moving about. I’m thinking of another strap with an eye that the jackline threads through, which can more easily run along the deck / me. Detach from the jackline assembly at the harness w/ a clip there.

Oct 22, 2014
thinking of another strap with an eye that the jackline threads through
That is an interesting idea. If you can get an eye that will stay open and not hangup it could be helpful to keep the deck from getting knocked as you move about the boat.

While on our cruise I noticed in the cold the clips would occasionally hang up on the jacklines. This required retracing steps to get free. Could have been a bit of ice.

I've seen cables with ball bearing slides running on a deck. No hangups but on give either.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Double tether. Clip your lazy tether(s) back to your harness ring.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yep, nice kit. Good idea to put crotch straps on your inflatable PFD too, keep the harness from riding up even when the vest is not inflated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In the December issue of PS, there was an article about leg straps and with a design that was both safer and more comfortable.

Mar 26, 2011
...I've seen cables with ball bearing slides running on a deck. No hangups but on give either.
A few folks tried this and learned that you can slide the length of the deck way too fast. Some friction, when loaded, is good.

Mar 26, 2011
Double tether. Clip your lazy tether(s) back to your harness ring.
No, DO NOT clip the lazy tether to the harness ring. If you do that, you defeat the quick release feature (unless I misunderstand). At least one sailor died that way. The lazy tether must be clipped to a loop neat the quick release or to the spin shackle. I added loops for this purpose.

The Kong tethers are an excellent value. In fact, Spinlock uses those clips on there Performance line, used in the VOR.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks for all of your suggestions & input. For expediency, I just slapped on two polypropylene hollow braid hand-lines; white. I got the rope from eBay @ about $0.50/ft, free shipping, on Thursday. It turned out not to be the size I wished @ 1/2 inch, which spawned my interest in alternatives, but I went ahead with it. Very easy to splice, so the job went quickly. It’s probably good for a year, plus the dink does have a cover that’s on it a lot of the time. I’ll be exploring some of the ideas mentioned here as the season develops.:thumbup:
KG

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yep, nice kit. Good idea to put crotch straps on your inflatable PFD too.
No, DO NOT clip the lazy tether to the harness ring. If you do that, you defeat the quick release feature (unless I misunderstand).
You are exactly right, thanks for pointing that out! Easy enough to place a cord loop at each clip to capture the lazy tether. Since I have my doubts about any of this stuff releasing I carry a Gerber River Shorty to saw the damn thing off. That of course assumes I am conscious.

Mar 26, 2011
...That of course assumes I am conscious.
Will the thread drift into a discussion of helmets? Thread drift is fun to watch.

(No cruelty intended. I will probably resemble this at some point. I promise to post the picture.)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Will the thread drift into a discussion of helmets? Thread drift is fun to watch.

(No cruelty intended. I will probably resemble this at some point. I promise to post the picture.)

Well, there are some very obvious omissions in this young man's safety precautions. Notice he is bare handed. If he should fall, he might cut his hands on sharp edges.

And where is that safety tether? If he should slip and fall while moving down hill he could lose his walker and then where would he be?

Speaking of safety tethers, not any old harness would do. What if he lost control of his walker and went over an open manhole? The walker would no doubt span the hole, but that would leave him suspended in mid air over the manhole. I think he should contact this guy:
p1csmro0g91j5k163rh4k1vh71vg86.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
That is one crazy sex position Dave.... Does it hurt?

I've been using a Spinlock PDF with straps. Like the fit. Only issue is the Brits did not ask the CG to bless the PDF. So also carry a few additional PDF's for inspection.