Holiday 20 Save it or not?

Jun 13, 2015
Newport Holiday 20 Lititz, Pa.
You didn't want to see it when it was dirty. Pix(Hope they attach) are post-power wash.

Brought it home from a friends house(Moving to where he could not take it.). I hated to just leave it there to be trashed. My neighbors are not loving me with two old boats and an old pop-up camper on my small, neighborhood, lot - yeek! Can't say I blame them.

The last "free" boat I got(Luger Leeward 16)... is sitting beside my garage - waiting(Covered, good shape, hull/fittings/rigging/sails, but waiting for new foam floatation and "mod's" to make it into a teeny-tiny cruiser.). Already have about $1,500 in it(New Dwyer Mast + fittings, etc...). Like to get it's sails to Sail Care for evaluation/repair. So I got that to do, already... But, when done, I'll still have a 16 footer.....? However, I have this 20 - or do I?

Question: Try to save the Holiday 20, or take it to the dump, now?

Been sitting outside for some years(?) - uncovered.
Seems a very light-weight boat - very light. IOW: How likely is it that the fiberglass is still in good shape? I can see "dents" where parts of it sit on the trailer rollers. Cleaned-up nice. Decent sleep space for 2 "rugged campers", under the cuddy. Only the one drawing(On the web) to guide me with rigging(Really like to eliminate the traveler?). Will get the sails out of their plastic tub, today - cross my fingers.). Trailer seems "OK"(Proper trailer? From Texas? Boat from Virginia.).

On the H20 - Rigging, fittings and lines(Need replaced) seem very light, as well? The cleaner it gets, the more I worry. If a bit of glass repair and some new ropes would do it, I'm good - but? Rudder is "all there", looks OK, but - it's old, contoured, thin - wood. CB appears to be some sort of metal? Winch for same - I don't know? Don't really like the looks of it - would rather do "something else" with that, I think..?

FWIW: I believe I could just pull it off the trailer, myself and turn the thing over in the yard to fool with the bottom?(Or to watch it compost itself into the lawn?). Just feeling I could do so, fairly easily, worries me. Light is good, but, light, ancient "Sun-Struck" fiberglass, maybe not so much..?

Can have less than a foot of draft(Board-up), so, great for doing the tributaries of the Chesapeake --- though I'd wonder about the bay, itself - so darned light.). Newest, best thing about it is the motor mount - sigh... My British Seagull(1972? Starts first pull! Incredible.) would look dangerously "vintage", hanging on it!

Have cell phone, can do more photos...

What do you think?

Thankx for all comments!
Ted, KA3BHQ
www.teddygvo.com
ka3bhq@ptd.net

Attachments

mjp83

Jul 11, 2012
Oday Mariner 2+2 Trailer sailer
This new boat of yours sure looks like a Rhodes 19 or one of the early Oday Mariners. Not sure of the quality of the fiberglass, but my Mariner was very thin, and even though it was a 1973, it's held up very well during swift sailing. My current nut shell (had to down size), is a Newport 16, and it too,had the trailer induced warps of the fiberglass hull. Once I put her in the water, fixed the trailer bunks, it straighten out almost within a few weeks. This spring I uncovered the boat after sitting on the trailer all winter, and it was perfectly fine.

Do yourself a favor and plan on new stays for the mast, I had the rear stay (thankfully) go under sail, but it still scared me $&/less! Also check the keel bolt is solid, I took mine out with the boat on trailer while I jacked up the keel with a hydraulic jack just to get the tension out from the bolt.

Trailer looks good, bearings and bunks are the main thing.

If you sail by yourself sail the 16 footer, if you have help raising the mast, go for the Holiday!

Jun 13, 2015
Thankx so much for your comments!

I don't think there were many made? But, look-up the Newport Holiday 20, on the web, and there it is. Guy I got it from thought it was a Newport 19(It's not. Says so right on the "decal" inside the transom. The little "portholes" are the key visual indicator.).

I will have to replace at least one shroud - it's gone? What's left looks in excellent shape(So good they may have been replaced at some point?). I'll try to go back down to the back yard I dragged it out of to find it, but, likely already truly gone, by now...

I hope you're right about the underside... Will take to water(Or take it off the trailer, otherwise), and see if the "dents" go away(At least good enough. Perfection is never an option with me.). No time spent, yet, looking critically at the hull/glass. Will examine(Bang on, sweetly but firmly) the rest of the hull. Will do some minor glassing of cracks and stress points(Fun anyway). All the "rubber" trailer fittings need replaced. Will have a good mechanic check out the trailer before taking it anywhere else.

Bearings seemed nice and cool on the 15 mile trip home - I stopped often("Bearing Buddies" on it). Still, will check them carefully or just replace. Be nice to replace wheels and tires, as well. The spare is a genuine(Carlisle, Pa. made) Carlisle! Will keep that on a wall for old times sake, at least.

Indeed! That 25 foot mast will be problematic for me, alone. Wondering if I could make some sort of "helper" I could put in the back of the pickup truck? Yes, the 16's mast, I could get up, myself(But I'm older now..?). Will try to simplify the apparent rigging on the H20 with some(All?) new lines, blocks, etc.

Stays/Shrouds... I sailed the 16 several times, alone, before re-checking MUCH more carefully, the stay anchors(Which had seemed OK?). I had seen tiny bits of "nylon" in the bottom of the boat... Looked familiar? The bolts and nuts were, apparently(I'm no metallurgist) of different metals!!! Bolts were fine. ALL the nuts had dissolved, the nylon "lock washers" had fallen off! The bolts were just holding by the skin of the fiberglass... About fainted when I figured this out.

Will check Center Board, as able. Don't like the rather weird winch(Which may be fine?) used to put it up and down.

Sails look good! I got 3? One has a "window"! It was "with" the boat, but not in the sail box? Have not examined carefully, yet. May be a sail some past owner had bought for it? Doesn't look big(Or small) enough to be a "special" sail?

Ted, KA3BHQ

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If the important pieces... rudder, mast, centerboard and hull are good , I think you have a sporty day sailor... I'd get a tiller extension and rig some hiking straps so I could sit on the coaming and steer. I'd love to have a boat like that for bay and lake sailing with one or two crew and a little spinnaker.

BTW the motor mount looks fairly new.. what happened to the O.B?

Jun 13, 2015
H20

Yeah...... The pretty little tiller was, unfortunately, left with it's end in a wet area(Rotted-out). It will need to be replaced - or maybe just the bad(Rudder) end cut-off? Always nice to have a tiller extension - though I am rarely a "hiking out" sailor - more of a "falling in" sailor...

The motor(s) were, both, "blown", I believe..? One left un-rinsed after salt water use(Someone other than the owner using it at the time.)... The other was one of the Briggs & Stratton "lawnmower outboards", which could have been cool..? I think it got "hot & boomed" though, from a lack of oil..?(As I recall, the owner owned-up to this tragedy.) These things happen --- sigh... Will try to pick up an old OB at an auction as I can... My British Seagull is cool like crazy, but, with no reverse and the "open", rope-pulled "widget" spinning madly on top, it is pretty darned dangerous. No reverse, either - ha! Some BS's one could "turn around" in their mount, I think(?), but, not this one.

Rudder looks OK. However, as I was, just this morning, trying to repair an old outdoor rocking chair rocker, and found the wood had "dry-rotted" under what was left of the paint - "snap", I am hoping the same is NOT true of the rudder. If the CB is all metal(Can't pull it out to look at it, at this time.), should be "fine", but, if not..? Who knows? Sooner or later, we'll see...... BTW: I believe I may have replaced the BIG CB bolt, on the 16..? I seem to remember some wear..? I did do some new, heavier reinforcement on the 16's CB trunk(Lots of stress over the years), as it also handles the main sheet blocks, straight down from the boom(No traveler). Like to do the same with the 20(?).

ALL will be carefully examined before anything other than cleaning is done.

Ted

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't let the lack of an outboard keep you from sailing. You can always rig a pair oarlocks and keep a set of sweeps (oars) on board. Or heck... just sail it without. I don't have aux power on my beach cat.

Apr 22, 2015
newport holiday 20 Tennessee river
When we got our 20 first thing we did was take motor and mounts off. This boat was not built for holding a motor. The mast is held above the trailer with a mount that slips in your gungeon and fork up on your trailer. I will take picks of mine and post so you can see. It's just piece 1" square tubing with y shape at the top. It has two bolts welded to it that slides right I. Gungeon

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2015
Yes, I ripped that motor mount off, too. Hard to see in the transom pic, but, someone had cut down the transom a bit, on the left side(Looking at rear of boat) and bent a big piece of metal(Aluminum?) and put down over the transom to hold a motor. Looks horrible, though plenty enough for a light-weight motor like the Seagull, an old 2 cycle, or an electric. Also de-installed the fancy ladder mount(I have the great big ladder, too.). Will try to sell both.

I must face it. My problem with doing without a motor is that I am not a sailor. I do not want to race. I do not want to take the boat to the nearest water(Hour or more?), rig it, put it in the water, sail it around for a few hours then get it back on the trailer, un-rig it, and go home. Just not my "thing". Even if solo, I want to cruise, best I can, darn it. Trailer it as far as I have to, to put it in a tributary on the Chesapeake, sail it around when I can, then, even pull the mast down, when needed, to go under bridges, then motor, pole or get out and push the thing as far as I can go "upstream". At least a couple of nights at a time. Really, a stock of old electric trolling motors(Estate Auction!) and a case of plastic blades would probably be great.

Sailing into a slip(Like I'd ever pay $$$$ a night for such a thing.) or the local/town dock is fine with me. I figure if there's no one around to grab a line and help me get it in there "right", then there's also no one around to see me bump my way in by myself(No Oops! Sorry... Oops! Sorry... either.) - I'm good with that. I'll put one of those foam "noodles" around the bow. Not like I'm screaming in there with a large, fine, custom yatchet or anything... At least I don't have to worry about damaging MY boat - ha?

I see that the bunks and rollers are all "down", in their adjustable notches - all the way down. This week I am going to try to push the boat up enough, as I go, and raise everything up. Then, begin the process of lowering until everything fits better on the trailer.

Talk about a "day sailor". No NAV lights! No where? Another project. The thing doesn't even have radar? What a rip.

Does have 3 sails, though(Did I mention that?). Main, with "Holiday" on it(And reefing ties.), and two others! I assume a normal Jib, and a Genoa(Even has the plastic window in it. Don't remember ordering the plastic window? Oh well.).

There is a nice, high trailer "thingy" at the front, with a rubber "V" bumper on it to lay the mast in(the "V" bumper the bow fits into is broke, but they're like 5 bucks.). The other end of the mast apparently mounted in the back, on some homemade piece of wood and strap metal, somehow? The widget for that was rotted and rusted nearly to dust. Yes, will maybe use the gudgeon-type support. I think I even have a couple of old pintles that might fit? A bit bent, but, I have a hammer.). Oars - oh no.....! I'm far to lazy for that. Have to figure out something. Maybe if I can get one of the grand kids to go? "Yes, dear, it's really good exercise... Stroke!"...

The mast, boom and most fittings on them seem to be Dwyer(Says so on part of an old sticker on the mast.), Going to call Dwyer, this week. Past experience says they are sometimes cranky, but always helpful. Good stuff, too. I hoping they either remember the H20, or, may even have old files telling what they supplied Newport with many years ago..? The 1/2" spreader brackets(With no spreaders), and the two shroud adjusters per side, one attached to the other, are confusing, at best. I'm thinking the spreaders were an add-on(The "why" worries me.), and after adding them on the shrouds weren't long enough, thus the extra adjusters? I only have one shroud, so I can't put the mast up to "see"? I will order another shroud, same length as the one I have, then try it with no spreaders. If I decide to go with spreaders, and I need extra length on the shrouds, I have a couple of turnbuckles, too, so I could fancy it up a bit by putting one turnbuckle and one adjuster on each side - very custom, ey? Secret Race-Tuning!

More as we continue to dig-in.

Oh! Someone elsewhere on this forum just chimed-in with THEIR Holiday 19(Only the shape of the port hole looks different.). I'm "on" with them, too, trading ideas. They have the two parts of the boat pulled apart! They are doing the entire restoration deal! Hope I don't have to do that, but, does look tempting...... One could really examine things that way, and I could screw the entire thing up so much faster.....? It's a thought. Seriously, may be the way to go - but not this week.

Apr 22, 2015
newport holiday 20 Tennessee river
The 20 on the site owner is me..lol sounds like you would enjoy a motor sailor boat instead of a regular sailboat. Some of those are made where you can beach them and you can sleep below.Macgregor makes a nice motor sailor. You mentioned not being a racer so that one you can take three others for the weekend and be comfortable.

Yes, I ripped that motor mount off, too. Hard to see in the transom pic, but, someone had cut down the transom a bit, on the left side(Looking at rear of boat) and bent a big piece of metal(Aluminum?) and put down over the transom to hold a motor. Looks horrible, though plenty enough for a light-weight motor like the Seagull, an old 2 cycle, or an electric. Also de-installed the fancy ladder mount(I have the great big ladder, too.). Will try to sell both.

I must face it. My problem with doing without a motor is that I am not a sailor. I do not want to race. I do not want to take the boat to the nearest water(Hour or more?), rig it, put it in the water, sail it around for a few hours then get it back on the trailer, un-rig it, and go home. Just not my "thing". Even if solo, I want to cruise, best I can, darn it. Trailer it as far as I have to, to put it in a tributary on the Chesapeake, sail it around when I can, then, even pull the mast down, when needed, to go under bridges, then motor, pole or get out and push the thing as far as I can go "upstream". At least a couple of nights at a time. Really, a stock of old electric trolling motors(Estate Auction!) and a case of plastic blades would probably be great.

Sailing into a slip(Like I'd ever pay $$$$ a night for such a thing.) or the local/town dock is fine with me. I figure if there's no one around to grab a line and help me get it in there "right", then there's also no one around to see me bump my way in by myself(No Oops! Sorry... Oops! Sorry... either.) - I'm good with that. I'll put one of those foam "noodles" around the bow. Not like I'm screaming in there with a large, fine, custom yatchet or anything... At least I don't have to worry about damaging MY boat - ha?

I see that the bunks and rollers are all "down", in their adjustable notches - all the way down. This week I am going to try to push the boat up enough, as I go, and raise everything up. Then, begin the process of lowering until everything fits better on the trailer.

Talk about a "day sailor". No NAV lights! No where? Another project. The thing doesn't even have radar? What a rip.

Does have 3 sails, though(Did I mention that?). Main, with "Holiday" on it(And reefing ties.), and two others! I assume a normal Jib, and a Genoa(Even has the plastic window in it. Don't remember ordering the plastic window? Oh well.).

There is a nice, high trailer "thingy" at the front, with a rubber "V" bumper on it to lay the mast in(the "V" bumper the bow fits into is broke, but they're like 5 bucks.). The other end of the mast apparently mounted in the back, on some homemade piece of wood and strap metal, somehow? The widget for that was rotted and rusted nearly to dust. Yes, will maybe use the gudgeon-type support. I think I even have a couple of old pintles that might fit? A bit bent, but, I have a hammer.). Oars - oh no.....! I'm far to lazy for that. Have to figure out something. Maybe if I can get one of the grand kids to go? "Yes, dear, it's really good exercise... Stroke!"...

The mast, boom and most fittings on them seem to be Dwyer(Says so on part of an old sticker on the mast.), Going to call Dwyer, this week. Past experience says they are sometimes cranky, but always helpful. Good stuff, too. I hoping they either remember the H20, or, may even have old files telling what they supplied Newport with many years ago..? The 1/2" spreader brackets(With no spreaders), and the two shroud adjusters per side, one attached to the other, are confusing, at best. I'm thinking the spreaders were an add-on(The "why" worries me.), and after adding them on the shrouds weren't long enough, thus the extra adjusters? I only have one shroud, so I can't put the mast up to "see"? I will order another shroud, same length as the one I have, then try it with no spreaders. If I decide to go with spreaders, and I need extra length on the shrouds, I have a couple of turnbuckles, too, so I could fancy it up a bit by putting one turnbuckle and one adjuster on each side - very custom, ey? Secret Race-Tuning!

More as we continue to dig-in.

Oh! Someone elsewhere on this forum just chimed-in with THEIR Holiday 19(Only the shape of the port hole looks different.). I'm "on" with them, too, trading ideas. They have the two parts of the boat pulled apart! They are doing the entire restoration deal! Hope I don't have to do that, but, does look tempting...... One could really examine things that way, and I could screw the entire thing up so much faster.....? It's a thought. Seriously, may be the way to go - but not this week.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2015
Hey! Hi! Didn't notice the posting name...

Only a "got it for free" budget prohibits doing something different. Not that it ends-up being free......

I also have a "72?" Luger Leeward(16') - also "free", which I have already put more than $1,500 into, with a long way to go - so much for "free" - ha!

The Holiday will take a similar amount above it's "free" price, I'm sure... Already spent $300, getting it signed-over to me, registered, permitted, etc. If I ever get it going, again, I may give it back to it's previous owner "ready to sail", or sell both of them and try "something else", more appropriate for cruising. Again, I like the sailing aspect, far as quiet, challenging, fuel savings. I'm just not into it for sailings sake, alone. The getting there is fun, but the places I get to visit are equally important.