Hole in the hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Fiberglass

Hey, thanks to everyone who has responded to my query, this is great. I do have some experience with fiberglass. I have put a new floor in one boat and I have built a beautiful kayak ‘glass over wood’ as well as minor repairs to other boats. Whatever I do to fix this I will shoot photos of everything and post them. If I get this fixed in a satisfactory fashion I am going to sail all the way around Baja California. If I can’t get this fixed I will get another Mac to do it in. We will put in in San Diego and sail to Rocky Point. I expect about two months. We are in the very early planning stages. As my plans get more solid I will post info about the +2000 mile trip as well Is there anybody out there that has done it yet? I would like to hear about your experience. As well as tips for outfitting, things to see etc. I have found a couple of small articles on line but nothing that has much practical information.

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Fiberglass

Hey, thanks to everyone who has responded to my query, this is great. I do have some experience with fiberglass. I have put a new floor in one boat and I have built a beautiful kayak ‘glass over wood’ as well as minor repairs to other boats. Whatever I do to fix this I will shoot photos of everything and post them. If I get this fixed in a satisfactory fashion I am going to sail all the way around Baja California. If I can’t get this fixed I will get another Mac to do it in. We will put in in San Diego and sail to Rocky Point. I expect about two months. We are in the very early planning stages. As my plans get more solid I will post info about the +2000 mile trip as well Is there anybody out there that has done it yet? I would like to hear about your experience. As well as tips for outfitting, things to see etc. I have found a couple of small articles on line but nothing that has much practical information.

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Mac Trailer

Yes Frank the crack is, (I'm sure) caused by compression and not by tearing. I will post more photos later. The trailer says MacGregor in white large lettering on the side of it. Also I can tell by looking the bunks have been replaced sometime in the past and are 2x4s. I will replace them with 2x6s.

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Mac Trailer

Yes Frank the crack is, (I'm sure) caused by compression and not by tearing. I will post more photos later. The trailer says MacGregor in white large lettering on the side of it. Also I can tell by looking the bunks have been replaced sometime in the past and are 2x4s. I will replace them with 2x6s.

C

Chris & Lenore - Mac 26S - Teliki

Ahhh - maybe an explanation!

I was pondering Mr Bills response that factory bunks are 2 X 6 (I had assumed they came with 2 X 4 but I haven't actually looked closely at others). But - if a bunk board rots completely at the lowest point of attachment the weight of the boat will smush (technical term) it over the lower bunk mount bracket. The bracket will contact the hull and all load would bear on a small area. Looking at the picture there is what looks like a rust stain right where the lower bunk bracket would contact the hull. I wonder if we are seeing what happpens when a bunk board disintegrates while the trailer goes over a bump? Chris

C

Ahhh - maybe an explanation!

I was pondering Mr Bills response that factory bunks are 2 X 6 (I had assumed they came with 2 X 4 but I haven't actually looked closely at others). But - if a bunk board rots completely at the lowest point of attachment the weight of the boat will smush (technical term) it over the lower bunk mount bracket. The bracket will contact the hull and all load would bear on a small area. Looking at the picture there is what looks like a rust stain right where the lower bunk bracket would contact the hull. I wonder if we are seeing what happpens when a bunk board disintegrates while the trailer goes over a bump? Chris

C

On even closer look

It almost looks like the right hand bunk board is lower than the left. Maybe the damage was caused by the boat weight resting on the lower edge of the left hand board. I'm really interested in what caused the damage... Chris

C

On even closer look

It almost looks like the right hand bunk board is lower than the left. Maybe the damage was caused by the boat weight resting on the lower edge of the left hand board. I'm really interested in what caused the damage... Chris

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I have a feeling that you are going to have to cut an access

hole on the ballast tank so that you can glass the inside. You will want to be able to work out the air bubbles so that you get a good bond. I would start however by glassing the outside first after realigning the bent part of the boat. Then fill what ever holes are there with resin and beads from the inside. Then glass the inside with 2 or 3 layers. Since the hull is the structural part that takes most of the stress you want to make sure that it is strong enough. To patch the access hole run some strips along the periphery so that you can seal those edges well. This will create a nice shelf for you to build on. Fill again and then cover with final layers of glass. Frank

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I have a feeling that you are going to have to cut an access

hole on the ballast tank so that you can glass the inside. You will want to be able to work out the air bubbles so that you get a good bond. I would start however by glassing the outside first after realigning the bent part of the boat. Then fill what ever holes are there with resin and beads from the inside. Then glass the inside with 2 or 3 layers. Since the hull is the structural part that takes most of the stress you want to make sure that it is strong enough. To patch the access hole run some strips along the periphery so that you can seal those edges well. This will create a nice shelf for you to build on. Fill again and then cover with final layers of glass. Frank

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I don't know where I got 26s from must have been a mind fart.

It is the correct trailer for a 26d. It still looks like a lousy design however. There is a lot of stress there especially with vibration from the road there's going to be a lot of flexing at that point. I wonder if a couple of keel rollers would help dampen the flex at that point. If I had a 26d I would sure take a look at adding some more support. Frank

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I don't know where I got 26s from must have been a mind fart.

It is the correct trailer for a 26d. It still looks like a lousy design however. There is a lot of stress there especially with vibration from the road there's going to be a lot of flexing at that point. I wonder if a couple of keel rollers would help dampen the flex at that point. If I had a 26d I would sure take a look at adding some more support. Frank

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Are the bunks the same size?

Can't tell from the photo, because the carpet is in the way. But it sort of looks like one bunk is thicker than the other. Another thought. Was the boat hauled on the trailer with water in the ballast tank?

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Are the bunks the same size?

Can't tell from the photo, because the carpet is in the way. But it sort of looks like one bunk is thicker than the other. Another thought. Was the boat hauled on the trailer with water in the ballast tank?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
hard to tell, but

IIRC, my trailer has welded 'holders' on top of the cross piece 'bunks' that the wood bolts too... you might have an early trl design...? and I don't see the cracks in the photos just posted... (did you remove anything from the trailer?) is it shimmed already? as its not touching the bunks. -wierd!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
hard to tell, but

IIRC, my trailer has welded 'holders' on top of the cross piece 'bunks' that the wood bolts too... you might have an early trl design...? and I don't see the cracks in the photos just posted... (did you remove anything from the trailer?) is it shimmed already? as its not touching the bunks. -wierd!

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Bunk bunks

yes the boat is on a stand and the old bunks are removed. the crack does not show in the newer photos because the crack is just to the starboard side. if you look close you can see the bow is warped where it was sitting on the bunks. I will post more photos soon. I would make a web site where I could post all the pics but I don't know how to do that yet.

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Bunk bunks

yes the boat is on a stand and the old bunks are removed. the crack does not show in the newer photos because the crack is just to the starboard side. if you look close you can see the bow is warped where it was sitting on the bunks. I will post more photos soon. I would make a web site where I could post all the pics but I don't know how to do that yet.

Jan 8, 2007
Macgregor 23 New London CT.
The west system bible

Know one, Sorry about that bottom damage, That looks like much more than just patching a hole. You can do it , The advice here all looks good. "west system" has a book you can get online or at West marine, It should have everything you need to know in it as far as materials to use and how to do it. Good luck, I know that on my VN23 the bunkers go lenghtwise with the boat by design and are longer than any curves on the hull. The boat curves up away from the bunkers in the stern half. The point being that what ever direction they go in the boat can never be expected to rock on the edges of them. again. good luck...Smitroe

Jan 8, 2007
Macgregor 23 New London CT.
The west system bible

Know one, Sorry about that bottom damage, That looks like much more than just patching a hole. You can do it , The advice here all looks good. "west system" has a book you can get online or at West marine, It should have everything you need to know in it as far as materials to use and how to do it. Good luck, I know that on my VN23 the bunkers go lenghtwise with the boat by design and are longer than any curves on the hull. The boat curves up away from the bunkers in the stern half. The point being that what ever direction they go in the boat can never be expected to rock on the edges of them. again. good luck...Smitroe

Status
Not open for further replies.