Hole in my hull?

Jdscar

May 1, 2019
Macgregor 25 Paris Landing
I have recently purchased a 1981 25 ft Macgregor and while cleaning on it I noticed a hole in the center of the hull a foot or two in front of the keel. Is this for a depth finder or some type of transducer? Is it this way from the factory or a mod someone did? And how do I seal it up? Thank you friends for any info.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Can't think of another reason for a hole besides speed or depth sensors. Did the seller not say "oh by the way, don't put it in the water. It has an open hole in the bottom"?

Jdscar

May 1, 2019
Nope. It was bought at an estate sale and I bought it from a guy that had dreams and no money. Can you suggest a way to seal that hole?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The experts should chime in soon. Some will say to 'glas over it. If it were me, since the hole is there, I'd find a depth system with a puck that will fill the hole.

Jdscar

May 1, 2019
Also, if any is still watching this thread. I failed to mention I need a rudder and tiller. Any thoughts on where to get one? I might make one, but for a good price rather buy one.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
The hole is definitely not stock and very difficult if not impossible to get to from the inside. It would be before the vberth under the floor of the liner. I agree with glassing it over. You will need to follow the west system as another post stated or look up a Don Casey article on it. Chamfer the edges of the hole and sand to bevel. Cut glass cloth circles in increasing diameters to build it up and fill. I would mix up a batch with the colloidal silica and completely fill it first and tape it up first. After it hardens sand in the chamfers and the build it up with heavy cloth in increasing diameter layers. Be careful, the hull is thin. Blue water should have the rudder. If you can get your hands on pintles you could make one but not worth all the work. Time and money are a trade off.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
From west system instructions

Begin quote:
1. Cut an appropriate number of pieces of fiberglass fabric the same shape as the hole. The first piece should match the outside edge of the bevel, with subsequent pieces gradually getting smaller. The final layer should match the inside edge of the bevel. The combined thickness of the layers should be slightly thinner than the original panel to allow for shaping and fairing.

End quote.

This method produces a superior bond between the hull and the patch. Starting with the smallest piece is weaker.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I just finished the same project to fill in an old transducer. It was time-consuming as the weather was against me. The cost was about $75.00 for the kit and cloth plus paint. Follow instructions, get a good grinder, sander and or dremel. I think you'll need access to inside and out. Can you see the hole from inside the salon?

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I believe that they make plugs for removal and replacing senders while in the water, might be the easy way to go.