Holding Tank Vent Charcoal Filter

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Well they are exactly the same function!:pimp:

Plug up all of your Landlubber roof vents and test that.;)
Jim...
Nope. Roof top sewer vents are to prevent gasses from being pushed backwards, past the P-traps in toilets and sinks, and to prevent the syphon from emptying P-traps. Not related to tanks and few boats have P-traps or vents down stream of them (I've never seen the later).

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have had bad smell from my vent many years and tried everything but the smell would comeback so I added a vent filter and very happy with no smells.
I am in the process of changing that filter and did find the hose for the vent was plugged coming out of the top holding tank and will be cleaning the hose and will be doing the diy filter
and already cut my old filter in half and buying some charcoal from pet store.
To each his own and I like the vent filter and never any smells with it and my sea era works fine
except recently making some different noise do to the vent hose clogged I sure.
Nick

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
what about a way of introducing more oxygen into the holding tank, like an aquarium bubbler?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Aeration will definitely eliminate holding tank odor because it oxygenates the contents. An aquarium bubbler can work, but the animal fats in waste clog 'em up pretty quickly, making it necessary to remove it an clean it.
The Groco Sweettank Groco Sweetank installation instructions uses a pump outside the tank to supply air and piping all the way across the bottom of the tank that's designed to prevent becoming clogged...but it still requires cleaning every couple of years. The Sweettank is about $200, which seems expensive till you factor in the annual cost of tank products that you won't need any more.
However, just modifying the vent to get more oxygen into the tank is usually all that's needed in most tanks <40 gallons and/or tanks of any size that are no deeper than about 20".

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A related question. If you flush with saltwater (marsh saltwater), then flush the toilet with fresh at the end of the day, you still can have a holding tank of decaying stuff that came in with the salt water.Do the bio products control that smell as well?
Yes. The bacteria in all organic matter works the same way...nature doesn't know the difference between the bacteria in the waste and the bacteria in the flush water. However, the most important "ingredient" in any tank is oxygen. So modifying the vent to create an aerobic environment in the tank will make a big difference.

--Peggie