Holding tank replacement for Hunter 37.5

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter Legend 37.5 California
Hey folks. I haven't seen a recent thread on this topic, but I went through the old ones (one with the same title).

Anyone knows what the spec is for the aluminum tank fittings? I got a 37.5 with the aluminum tank. I'm going to be changing the hoses and the head so I figured I should also change the tank while at it. I understood that the Ronco B227 was a good fit?

I've never done anything alike before. How foul is it? How do you remove the hoses and the tank without making too much of a mess?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Smart to replace an aluminum tank before it leaks, 'cuz it will. Urine eats through all metal holding tanks, even 316 stainless.

If you have my book (if you don't, see link in my signature below), you'll find complete step-by-step instructions for replacing a toilet and holding tank beginning on page 24, but here are the basics:

Inlet and outlet fittings are 1.5"...the "standard" vent fitting is 5/8", but this would be a good time to upgrade the vent to 1". Not sure where the fittings are located on your existing tank, but they're rarely in the best place, so this is the time to put 'em where they should be to prevent spillage out the vent and backflow to the toilet. I'll be glad to help you figure out where to put 'em before you order the tank. In fact, I'll be glad to help you get everything right the first time...send me a PM if you wan my help.

Thoroughly
rinse out the tank and hoses with lots of clean water before removing any hoses. Warming hoses a bit (I always used a blow dryer) makes 'em a lot easier to remove. Put plastic garbage bags (kitchen can or wastebasket liners will do just fine) to catch any drips.

Hoses: This is not the place to go cheap if you never want to do this job again for 10 years. Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose has been on the market for about 10 years without a single reported odor permeation failure and I've never heard of one either...and it has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, which makes most rehosing jobs a lot easier. Not sure whether the sbo.com store carries it...Defender has it for about $10/ft. However, they're on the east coast, so it may be worth paying a little more from a west coast supplier to keep shipping cost down.

--Peggie

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter Legend 37.5 California
Awesome! I have your book and I attended one of your seminars a few years ago when I was contemplating becoming a boat owner! Will definitely reach out for your help!

MDBack

May 9, 2013
Hunter Legend 35.5 Cornucopia, WI
Our solution was to replace with a Nature's Head composting toilet, remove the old Jabsco, hoses and holding tank. The empty space where the old holding tank was provided us a very nice place to put 4 new batteries for a new house bank. Personal preference, but we'd never go back. Cost was only slightly more than a new tank and hoses.