Holding tank replacement for a Hunter 280

Apr 8, 2018
Hunter e33 0 Alexandria
We just bought a 1996 Hunter 280 and the Holding Tank is leaking. We need to replace it, preferably with a plastic unit instead of the aluminum originally installed. Any suggestions?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
+1 for Ronco Plastics. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.
The correct link to their marine catalog is Ronco Plastics marine Tanks
The sbo.com online store has Ronco tanks at a discounted price. When you've found the one you want in their catalog, get a quote from Dave.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Ronco, for sure... and Never again use aluminum for a holding tank. Never.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Jun 4, 2020
Hunter 280 280 Lake Norman, NC
Hi Amalio:
Did you end up ordering a tank? If so, can you share some feedback? I also have a 280 and I believe my tank is now leaking too...
I know this thread is a few years old but I suspect I'm not the only 280 owner who has/is/about to have this issue! Thanks in advance,
-Rob

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
An aternative to a traditional toilet tank and all the plumbing needed that's worth considering:

On any boat smaller than about 30' a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty--makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything including urine jugs off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $300--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

A number f sbo.com members have gone this route and love it! If this idea appeals to you, check out the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD

--Peggie

Jun 4, 2020
Thanks Peggy. Interesting idea! I think my system is otherwise in good shape. I discovered the leak when I took all the back paneling off in the aft berth during my autopilot installation. With everything exposed, swapping out the tank "should be a pretty easy job". Of course my wife has heard me say those words many times....
PS - just ordered your book from Amazon!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
How old are your hoses? If even approaching 10 years, they should be replaced too cuz that's the average working life of any hose. As rubber and plastics age, they dry out and become hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting.

What's the make/model/approx age of your toilet?

--Peggie

Jun 4, 2020
Pulled my tank this evening. Previous owner tried to repair the aluminum tank with fiberglass. If anyone is thinking about it… don’t. Just…..don’t.
Words can’t describe it so here’s a short video.

I’ll be ordering a replacement tank from Ronco tomorrow. Will probably replace all the hoses too since I have everything out in the open.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
0hhh..that's BAD!!

I did know someone who'd successfully used JB Weld to repair so many leaks in a 50 gallon aluminum holding tank that there may have been more JB Weld than aluminum left.

I do NOT recommend this!!!

--Peggie

• Ha
Jun 4, 2020
Update on the waste tank! After my last post almost a month ago, I reached out to one of the companies recommended by many users here. It seems like others before me were very satisfied but I'm disappointed to say that I had a much different experience. I called the toll-free number on their website and after explaining what I was looking for, they said to send an email. Here is the exchange verbatim:

June 27
Do you have something that would replace this? See pics and drawings with measurements attached. Thank you,
-Rob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 28
Good Morning,

Thank you for your inquiry. I have attached an old catalog that you can look thru to see if you find anything that works for your needs.

(signature line removed)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 28
Hi Xxxxxxx:
I just looked at every tank on all 85 pages and couldn't find a match. I also couldn't find a substitute that would fit the space and hold about as much volume (20 gal). Is there someone familiar with your product line that could take a look at the pictures and drawings I sent to see if they know of a suitable tank? Also, on page 48, I noticed that there is a mold shop that can make custom sizes. Is there someone that I could talk with about that?
Incidentally, this tank was OEM for a 1996 Hunter 280 sailboat.
Thanks for your help,
-Rob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 29
Good Morning,

We do not manufacture custom tanks. Our tanks are made out of pre-existing tooling. If you didn’t find something in the catalog unfortunately we are not able to help you with your tank.

(signature omitted)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 29
Is there someone familiar with your product line that could take a look at the pictures and drawings I sent to see if they know of a suitable tank? It doesn't have to be a perfect fit. Surely there's got to be a solution, and most of the forums I've been on (to ask about replacement tanks) recommend your company so it's hard to believe there's no one there that can help.
Thanks again,
-Rob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have still not gotten a response to that last email where was practically begging for someone there to sell me a tank.

In the meantime, I continued doing my own research and discovered there are other companies who make custom tanks for many different industries, towns/municipalities, fire departments, the RV industry, etc... in addition to marine. I found one such company located about 30-40 miles from me so I called the number on their website and left a message. Within 30 minutes, one of the owners of the company called me back. I explained what I had and she said to send pics, measurements etc., which I did. The next day I received a quote for a polypropylene tank, fabricated to my exact specs. It even included all new fittings. As for cost, it wasn't much higher than any other pre-fab tank of the same capacity. I was fortunate that I could pick it up in person and save a few bucks on shipping. That also gave me the opportunity to thank one of the owners (Michael) in person, and I promised that I'd spread the word.

In short, I would highly recommend "Blue Grey Plastic Fab" in Marshville NC (near Charlotte) if you need to replace your holding tank, fresh water tank, or fuel tank. Here's their website (http://www.bluegreyplasticfab.com/). The owners, Melissa and Michael were very helpful and appreciative for the business.

Will post a few pics of my new tank. Hope to install this weekend!

-Rob
IMG_7916.jpg
IMG_7918.jpg
IMG_7917.jpg

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
You might try Dura Cast in Florida. They were the OEM for the plastic holding tank on my 1997 Hunter 310 and were able to supply me with a new tank to the same spec. website is Duracast.com
Tim

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
After my last post almost a month ago, I reached out to one of the companies recommended by many users here. It seems like others before me were very satisfied but I'm disappointed to say that I had a much different experience.
Which company was that?

--Peggie

Jun 4, 2020
Which company was that?

--Peggie
Ronco. I’m sure it’s fine company. I own a service business and I’d be livid if I hired a CSA that indifferent to a potential new client. One person doesn’t reflect a company which is why I wanted my post to focus more on the fantastic the service and product I received from Blue Grey Plastic Fab.
If you need a tank, make a few calls but make sure you include them in your search!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
You might try Dura Cast in Florida. They were the OEM for the plastic holding tank on my 1997 Hunter 310 and were able to supply me with a new tank to the same spec. website is Duracast.com
Tim
One factor to consider about tanks -- a rotomolded tank should last for the lifetime of the boat, or yours....
Unless you physically break a rotomolded tank (with a large hammer?), it should not need replacement, and I would be hesitant to go back to the OEM vendor.
BTW, looking at the site for the Florida company, it appears that they are welding up their tanks. This can work fine, but the technique is tricky, and it's easy to get a poor-penetration weld. I have one welded custom plastic tank and it's working fine, but the guy that did the work was very skilled. (It was a custom shape not in the Ronco catalog, and having them make a steel mold was more $ than my budget allowed.)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Unfortunately the number of current job openings vs. the number of people who actually want to work and/or are actually qualified for the job can sometimes result in bad hiring choices. It appears you ran up against one, but the good news is, they rarely last very long, at Ronco anyway.

Glad to know about Blue Grey Fabrications. Triple M Plastics in Maine was the only custom tank fabricator I knew about. They do outstanding work, but are kinda expensive compared to rotomolded tanks. I'll give 'em a call to get acquainted.

--Peggie