Holding Tank Issue

Lily

Jan 9, 2019
Hunter 30 Moored
I keep trying to pump out my boat but when ever i do not a lot comes out as if it were empty but when i look at the holding tank it's still at least half full. There are a few levers and I don't know if I'm suppose to switch any of them before I pump out? Please help me I have no clue what I'm doing.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
First...Welcome aboard sailboatowners.com!

Sounds like your holding tank vent is blocked. All tank vents have two purposes: to provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and to provide a source of air to replace contents as they're pulled out. When no air can come into the tank via the vent, the pumpout pulls a vacuum that won't allow more than about a gallon to be pulled out.

First, don't use the toilet again until the vent is clear...flushing against a blocked vent pressurizes the tank, which can have some very unpleasant consequences, the least of which is a geyser out the pumpout fitting when the cap comes off (you don't want to know what the worst can be).

So first lets make sure none of those levers are causing the problem. If there's one in the pumpout hose, it's there to provide a choice of pumping out or dumping the tank at sea. So you need to make sure that one is open to the deck pumpout fitting...the handle should be aligned with that hose, not crosswise.

If it's not the y-valve alignment, it's the vent... And most holding tank vent blockages occur in the vent thru-hull. So use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works to scrape it out. If you still can't pump out, there's a blockage at the other end of the vent line--the connection to the tank. Open the deck pumpout fitting to relieve any pressure, then remove the vent line from the tank and scrape out that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank.

That's the core of "holding tank 101"...if you need more help, send me a PM (private message) and I'll help you figure out the system.

--Peggie

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Questions
1. Are you manually trying to pump holding tank overboard or are you trying to pump out at a pump out station?
2. Can you shine a light on the tank and see if the tank is just stained with waste that is sticking to the walls of the tank or can you actually see the wast liquid moving in the tank?
3. Check your air vent for the tank and make sure it is clear.
Sounds like you have a clogged vent that is not allowing the tank to equalize when you are pumping out.
If you are using a pump out station then your thru hull valve should be closed all the time untill you are ready to pump it over board which requires you to be a certain distance off shore.
Can you take a photo of the valve set up?
A diagram of your plumbing would help.