Holding Tank for Forward Head / Legend 40

Oct 5, 2017
Hobie Pro Angler 17T Harkers Island, NC
We have already converted the aft head to a composting toilet and are preparing to convert the forward head to the same. Having purchased the boat just last December, we have not used the forward head (not working) nor have we pumped out the holding tank - which is unique in that it has a manual pump-out and there's no access to the tank from the deck - a really bad design, if you ask me.

Is it possible to pump out this tank by routing a pump out hose through the escape hatch to a fitting somewhere? Unfortunately, I've only had a brief look under the anchor locker where the manual pump mechanicals are located. Our primary concern, today, is to make sure that tank is as empty as possible, before beginning the conversion to a composting head.

Thanks for your help.

David Albright
S/V Odonata

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is it possible to pump out this tank by routing a pump out hose through the escape hatch to a fitting somewhere?
To do that there'd have to be a fitting on the tank to connect to and a fitting on the other end of the hose to connect it to a pumpout. If you're planning to scrap the tank, you COULD cut a hole in the top of it big enough to run the pumpout hose through the hatch into the tank. That's assuming that the top of the tank is accessible and the hose from the pumpout long enough to reach all the way to the bottom of the tank.

The boat has an overboard discharge pump...but you can use it to go offshore once to dump the tank. However, I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean by " manual pump mechanicals" under the anchor locker. Overboard discharge pumps are installed in a line between the discharge fitting on the tank and the thru-hull...they're all one piece with a handle, no separate "mechanicals." Regardless, if you can figure out how to use it, the best solution would be to take the boat offshore beyond 3 miles and do so.

Oct 5, 2017
Hobie Pro Angler 17T Harkers Island, NC
Thanks, Peggy. We have the boat at our home marina in New Bern, NC. It takes about a day to get the boat down the Neuse River to the Beaufort Inlet. Although discharging offshore seems the logical choice, I would have less time and money invested in creating a pumpout fitting for that tank. I appreciate your helpful reply.