Holding tank and fresh water prime questions

Jun 25, 2010
Catalina 22 MKII Wherever
A couple of plumbing questions please:

1. The head has two discharge lines via a Y valve - one goes to the top of the holding tank and the other to the discharge seacock. No macerator observed. The holding tank has a pump out and vent at the top, but also a discharge line exiting the bottom that runs to the discharge seacock. A Y fitting connects the two discharge lines - one from the head and the other the holding tank, to the discharge seacock. No valves are are involved. So it seems to me, this unit was designed to empty the holding tank overboard as well as to pump waste directly overboard. Is this correct? I guess the waste seacock must be closed at all times or else the holding tank will empty. I wish there was a valve to close the holding tank discharge so that the head could be used to discharge immediately bypassing the holding tank. As it is setup, the holding tank would empty when this option was selected I think.

2. Having trouble priming the fresh water pump. I cleaned the screen filter before attempting. Should all faucets be open when trying to prime? Suction is being created on the supply side as evidenced by a sucking sound when I remove the filter. Perhaps the discharge side just needs to be open to release air. Any priming suggestions?

Thanks, Jerry

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This is a duplicate of your post to the Beneteau owners forum...you'll find several replies there. Since your questions aren't really specific to Beneteau, you might want to ask the moderators to move it to this forum and delete this one.