History re.: 1865 CSS Shenandoah Lifting propeller

Jul 17, 2012
Hunter 36 AuGres MI
I'm reading about the Confederate raider CSS Shenandoah. The book refers to the Shenandoah having a lifting propeller. The book refers to moving the prop to the side when under sail.
I've tried to find more info but I've found nothing on the net. Can anyone explain how it worked and where I might find more information?
The book also refers to a copper clad bottom. I would think the purpose was the same as todays copper bottom paints.
Pelicanj45

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The book also refers to a copper clad bottom. I would think the purpose was the same as todays copper bottom paints.
That's correct. Ships were clad in copper below the waterline, with copper plates nailed over felt pads to the hull. I saw this on Old Ironsides, and on ships at Mystic, in dry dock. By the way, the USS Constitution will be underway Friday, Oct. 20, to celebrate the Navy's 242nd birthday.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There was an airship (zeppelin) the Shenandoah (named after the Confederate ship) which had a "lifting propeller" (could be angled upwards) to enable the rigid body airship to gain an altitude not reached by the fighter aircraft of the time (1920's). The Confederate ship in turn (1860's)was reported to have a "hoisting propeller" which could be detached and hoisted aboard to presumably reduce drag when under sail. Don't know much more as the records are sketchy but hope this may help clear a possible mix up.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Hunter 36 AuGres MI
I'd like to thank everyone for their input.
The lifting / hoisting prop is interesting. it'll be interesting if more info comes forward.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'd think there was a universal joint on the drive shaft to allow lifting in the shallows?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The people to contact who I think would know is the Mariner's Meuseum located in Newport News, VA. Look at their site first and you will note artifacts and photo of one on display (Monitor)I think to true scale. If anyone who might know, they should or you could inquire with The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA. They should be able to help