Historical Charts On-Line - A "Must See"

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
If you have a few hours or more to burn, go to https://historicalcharts.noaa.gov
NOAA's nautical charts section digitized charts and maps from current day back to well before the civil war. This project has apparently been around for many years, but I just stumbled across it on the updated nauticalcharts.noaa.gov web site while looking for a current chart of the Chesapeake Bay. Haven't seen it mentioned here. The charts are massive in size, running 9 - 24 MB. But there is a great download cart that zips the files prior to downloading. The site has a good viewer as well. I had a few charts printed out and framed as wall art.

If you are in to cartography, there is a set of 5 maps of the Chesapeake bay (1851 - 1855) that are progressive status report maps of the first survey of the Bay, showing where the survey monument locations were. Also, for the Hampton Roads peninsula (Hampton, Newport News, Yorktown) there is a military map from 1860 showing fortifications and who, by name, lived in the area at that time. I have spent several hours looking at that chart since I have lived in that area for 35 years. It is rich in history. NOAA has a collection of civil war era coastal survey maps but the link is currently broken...bummer. It's 36 degrees this morning and the boat is winterized...:wahwah:
Dan

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I had a few charts printed out and framed as wall art.
Awesome, thanks for the post. It's good to know something like this isn't always horde and commercialized.
:)
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I found a 100 year old chart of Boston Harbor and discovered no evidence of "rising oceans".
There has never been evidence of rising oceans. Fossilized sea life in the mountains, etc. Is evidence of continental upheaval. land rises up, land sinks down. The loss of polar ice, which has been measurable, has not resulted in a measurable change in sea level. That is just thoughtless alarmism. That isn't to say there isn't something to pay attention to. We just for know what that is yet.
Old maps and charts have a great deal to offer for much more than a passing interest in history.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice find Dan... Hand drawn charts from the 1800's of the Pacific NW. Way cool.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Damn! I was looking forward to waterfront property.
Just wait for the Cascadia Big One. There will be ocean front property everywhere.. Being on the boat and surviving the wave/tsunami events may give you the pick of the litter for properties...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've been told that tsunamis experienced mid ocean are not even noticed because of how long their wavelength is. It's when you're near shore and the wave shortens from dragging on the bottom that they start to standup to be noticed.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Being on the boat and surviving
I've been told that tsunamis experienced mid ocean are not even noticed
John
Now I just have to figure out which days to go sailing so I'm not home for that event! As long as it comes during the summer I've a good chance.
Will
I've a friend who was on his boat in San Fran. when they had an earthquake during the World Series. Didn't feel a thing. Heard about it on the news.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There has never been evidence of rising oceans. Fossilized sea life in the mountains, etc. Is evidence of continental upheaval. land rises up, land sinks down. The loss of polar ice, which has been measurable, has not resulted in a measurable change in sea level. That is just thoughtless alarmism. That isn't to say there isn't something to pay attention to. We just for know what that is yet.
Snip
- Will (Dragonfly)
Roughly 99% of the world’s climatologists would disagree, Will. Please enlighten us about your credentials to substantiate your judgment.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
No cred other than a few high school classes and tv shows.:biggrin:
Which part of my assertion do you ask about? The lack of evidence, the rise and fall of land masses, the actual change in levels, or lack there of, of sea levels today, or the measurable loss of polar ice caps? :cowbell:
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
@Michael Davis we were living in the Bay Area during that event. Our pool loss about 2 feet of water in a wave that swept across the back yard wiping out the garden.
Hi John
Looks like Will is right. We should be at sea on that day. Alan didn't even notice it and he was on a small boat. (TopHat 25)

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
If you are a student of the Civil War, the link to those charts is now working (I sent them an email asking them to fix it...haha). Look on the Collections tab then follow the link Charting a More Perfect Union.