Registered users don't see ads

High Trust

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by GBGraham, Dec 17, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. GBGraham

GBGraham

Joined Nov 10, 2017
    148 posts, 11 likes
    Hunter Legend 260
    Omega Gr Epidavros
    I did type a reply then thought this is just not boating . . . . I'm new on here and I don't know how the tides rise and fall.

2. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,262 posts, 772 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    TMI, Dave. Now I can't unsee that Big Boy costume. [shudders]

3. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,442 posts, 506 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    At least there was no picture left as only one was taken and I made sure it was destroyed.

justsomeguy likes this.
  4. Benny17441

Benny17441

Joined May 24, 2004
    5,397 posts, 311 likes
    CC 30
    US South Florida
    Yes to all that but I thought the posting was about small sailboats and outboard auxiliary engines. It has been my experience that each boat and outboard combination will require a prop suited to its displacement, hull shape and Horse Power. The best engine performance and longevity are attained by a prop that will allow it to attain maximum rated RPM while limiting over-reving. Prop induced changes in performance can perhaps be measured in fractions of a knot so I do not consider them significant. I just find it underhanded that they market props under the guise of "Super Thrust" for a small sail boat auxiliary engine. We have now have too many things on our minds besides sailing. There are none finer points of a an auxiliary engine than to get us to and from the dock to sailing waters. I'm sorry, I forget it is off season time when all kind of nonsense comes up for discussion.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,610 posts, 1,091 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    The OP started the whole discussion with
    These threads often include multiple parts and a few very brief tangents often slip in. The people on this forum seem to be very patient and like to rib each, all good naturedly. At least that has been my impression. I hope I'm doing a good job of fitting in.
    As far as matching prop, motor, and boat goes, there are varying factors in environment (lake, bay, open ocean, ICW, prevailing winds, currents and waves), desired uses (trailer to rigging dock, marina to channel, mooring to open ocean, even fishing) that dissallow a standard answer, this prop, this motor for this boat. General theory and basic concepts allow a captain to make choices that may be more appropriate than a direct answer could be.
    - Will (Dragonfly)

6. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,442 posts, 506 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    I know a good solution. Two squirrels in a cage with a round wheel for them to run turning a prop. cheap fuel. Squirrel food.

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,610 posts, 1,091 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    low weight to output to. Ever watch the Little Rascles with there duck driven boat?
    :clap:
    - Will (Dragonfly)

8. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,442 posts, 506 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    No but the donkey pulling the cart with carrot held out in front was funny

Will Gilmore likes this.