High Output Alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Stephens

In a forum arcieve I found a refference to Jim Kline/Marathon Diesel Repair (Florida). This company makes 100 amp high output alternators. These alternators have a three stage internal voltage regulator and are supposed to put out 70 amps of power at only 1000 alternator rpm's. The best part of this alternator is that it is only $249.95. A similar Balmar alternator and regulator would cost $600 -. I spoke to someone at Marathon and they do not have an output chart (it would be nice to have a output chart for refference). They also say that some people have problems fitting thier new alternators to thier engine.I am not sure if instillation is not a problem with other alternators. Over all they sounded genuine and answered all my questions. Now this deal sounds a little to good to be true, so....... Has anyone purchased one of these alternators or done any business with Marathon Diesel Repair? I am looking for some advice and hoping that this may be a great deal. Marathon Diesel Repair can be found at www.yanmardiesel.com/index.shtml.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Which engine do you have.

Bob: There are a couple of options here. First you can also upgrade to the 75 amp Yanmar alternator for about the same price as the Marathon unit. It is a direct replacement. You can get them from Richmond Boat Works in Richmond, CA. If you get a rebuilt one (which I understand is actually a new unit) they are about the same price. I know of two sailors that have the units from Marathon. You do have to get a new bracket for new alternator and I think you need to replace a wire, but that is about it. My understanding is that they work and work well. They are just Delco alternators that have been reworked.

D

Don

Some tips.

I am by no means an expert, but I do have a 105 amp alternator on my 14 horsepower Universal. I have learned the following: Your charge rate should never be over 25% of the battery capacity. Therefore, charging at 100 amps would require a battery bank of 400 amps. The charge rate should be adjustable. You should have some type of electrical monitoring system. Charging at 70 amps or more will make a single belt self distruct in short order. 100 amps require about 5-6 horsepower from your engine. On a little engine like mine, I have to get the engine rpm up before throwing that kind of load on it.

B

Bob Stephens

High Output Alternator/Steve Dion

Steve I have an M35 Universal deisel On a 1999 Catalina 36. I also have 2 4D house batteries so my battery bank is fairly good size. I would like to contact you and your friends about the Marathon and Yanmar alternators if you are willing to do so. I would like to find out more information about mounting requirements and performance. I welcome all advice on this matter. Thanks for the help! I can be reached at cat4855@aol.com

Dec 2, 1999
Sorry Bob!

my friends won't speak with Catalina owners <not>. One person is Roger Mummah. I'll have him pipe in on this thread. He is a good pipper. The other sailor is sailing in Tortola right now. He has kept charts on charging performance and should be able to give you a good idea of how it works. Larry just installed his about a month or so ago, but told me that the 35amp Hitachi did not even make his gauge move and the new 100 amp alternator charges like hell (that's good hell). Stay tuned for Mr. Mummah.

B

Bryan C.

Bought 2

I just bought two (I have a catamaran now) of these alternators from "The Battery Shack" in the Florida Keys where they are made. http://www.see-my-site.com/batteryshack/ Spoke to a nice sounding feller named Billy when I bought them. I had my mechanic install them, which was a good thing. While they are supposedly made as "bolt on" replacements for a Yanmar, some minor modifications had to be made: The hole for the main bolt was too big and had to be shimmed, the rotor needed a space. If you have never installed an alternator my advice would be to have your mechanic give you a hand. My mechanic swapped the pulley from the original because the new ones were slightly smaller (might have effected RPMs). I matched the new alternators with Heart "In-charge" regulators as opposed to the internal type. Billy says the internal ones are souped up a bit (charge at slightly higher voltage) that standard regulators, but the internal regulator he uses is not a three stage "smart" regulator but a single stage. So getting everything wired up was a pain too, but we got it done. Mechanic also thought they ran a little hot. I haven't run them enough yet to say how hot; I did exchange email with another fellow who had bought them and had no problems. The alternators are warranteed for one year and for $25 more bucks you get a lifetime warranty. So I thought what the hell, give it a try. I have only run the engine a couple times, and they do put out a lot more current, about double the standard 55 amp Hitachis that came on the 2GMs. So far so good.

R

Roger Mummah

Great Alternator (IMHO)

Hi. Endless Summer (Hunter 31) has a Yanmar 2GMF and she sports Capt. Billy's alternator. I think they advertise it as a 100 amp unit, but you can coax Capt Billy into admitting that it is 120 amps. Our house bank is 4 6-volt golf cart batteries and we also have a size 27 starter battery. The big alternator ran fine for several years until while we were in the Abacos this past Spring we had a diesel spray leak that wrecked it. We simply installed our old 35 amp Hitachi and kept on trucking (sailing). On the 2GMF one must also install a different alternator adjusting arm so that the larger diameter unit will clear the oil filter. Piece of cake. Capt Billy (The Battery Shack in Marathon) and Jim Kline (Marathon Yanmar guy) work closely together, but it is Capt Billy who has the alternator. We have never seen any additional load on the little Yanmar due to the larger capacity alternator, but then the solar panels and wind generator keep the batteries pretty well topped off all the time. Hope this helps. Roger and Susie Mummah remummah@worldnet.att.net

Dec 2, 1999
Thought that the 2GM20F came with 35amp.

I was under the assumption that the 2GM20F came with a 35 amp alternator. Hitachi also put a 55 amp on the 3GM20F but there is a 75 or 80 amp Hitachi available from Yanmar. My concern is how do these alternators work with Gel

B

Bryan Cleveland

Steve re: alternators

Steve, you may be right on the standard alternators, I have brand new 2GMs and thought I read the alternators were 55 amp, but may be wrong. I had the same concern as you regarding the internal regulator. I was concerned both as to whether it would charge as efficiently as a computer controlled 3 stage regulator. Also, if I recall correctly, Billy says they turn up internal regulator to about ~14.3V, which I thought could lead to a slight overcharge situation, need to keep an eye on the batts. That would be ok for weekend us, but we will be cruising and with the engines on for long periods at times and I didn't want to be in an overcharge situation. For me, the answer was to buy an externally regulated alternator and combine it with a smart reg. You can buy the Heart In-charge (also called Alpha) regulator for a little less than $150 at pyacht (http://www.soft.donbass.com/igor/yachta/heart_interface_accessories.htm). Not only will you get (IMO) a more efficient charging cycle, but you can adjust the regulator as to charging and float voltage to accomodate any type of battery system. Plus, we wired the regulator into the engine key, so we can turn the alternator off (by turning the key off) so there is no load on the engine for warming up or at times when you might need full power. The bigger alternators definately put more of a load on the engines when producing full current, but the 2GMs will handle it fine.

B

Bob Stephens

Charging performence

Steve, I would be interested in talking to your friend Larry when he gets back from Tortola. I would like to see if I could get the performence charts on his alternater. Please save my E-mail: cat4855@aol.com I have been getting some great advice and would like to thank everyone for current and future information.

R

Rick

Improved charging

I think a major improvment in charging can be made by just switching to the 3-stage smart voltage regulator. The InCharge regulator is advertised to work with any alternator - internal or externally regulated. A slight modification needs to be made to by pass your existing internal regulator (if you have one). Get the regulator first and then if you still need more amps add the hi-output alternator later.

C

Carl and Juliana Dupre

Balmar 90-75-D

Hi, Bob. As part of 'Syzygy's' (H340, 3GM30F) commissioning process we trashed the standard 35 amp regulator and installed a new Balmar 90-75-D. It puts out 70 amps at low RPM and reaches up to 95 amps at near-max RPM. The Balmar 90 series is designed as a direct fit to the Yanmar mounting; it just fit right in place without any modifications. The -75- series is the largest that can be installed without going to a dual-belt drive. This particular model is also a dual-output version; it is capable of separately and independently charging two battery banks. Our alternator is direct-wired to both our house and reserve/starter banks; it is not wired through the battery switch; eliminates a lot of potential issues, but avoids the complications of using battery isolators or combiners to accomplish much the same things. This is an externally-regulated alternator, so in addition we did have to buy a separate regulator. By the time we bought both the alternator and the regulator we did indeed approach your $600. Comparatively expensive, but simple and straightforward, and it works beautifully. We can't comment on whether the system you mentioned is 'too good to be true', but we decided not to even go down such a road; we are both "electrically challenged", so this was an area where we just didn't want to take risk. We love it, and we are really glad that we did it. Carl and Jule s/v 'Syzygy'

Status
Not open for further replies.