Hidden fuse(s) on C30 wiring harness?

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Anyone know if the wiring harness has any fuses in an inconspicuous location? I'm stuck with no juice to the instrument panel. When started engine to motor into harbor last night everything started just fine. Then got a "high voltage" warning on my depth instrument display and the volt meter was all the way over to 16 volts. Didn't have any issues getting in to harbor. All gauges looked to be working fine. After I shut down engine and turned off key, I turned key and had no power to instrument panel/no engine starting. Thanks for the help!

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Sounds like you fried the regulator. Fix that before replacing the fuse.
There is a fuse on the backside of the engine panel in the wiring there.

Nov 15, 2014
Well, never mind I guess. Unplugged wiring harness at instrument panel. Checked for continuity in harness (black/red) and it was good. Plugged harness back together. Panel instruments have power. Engine starts. WTF! Anyway, any clues to why this happened welcome!!

Nov 15, 2014
Skipper - thanks for the reply. See pic - I don't see any fuses on the rear of instrument panel. Also, electrical panel volt meter and engine instrument panel volt meter both reading 14V.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If you have a M25 with the infamous trailer plugs in your harness - you need to replace them before you have a fire -- see MaineSail's great writeup at www.marinehowto.com. While there checkout the glow plug relay mod and alternator bracket upgrade. --

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
What Skipper and LeslieTroyer said. The regulator on the alt may be intermittent - I'd watch voltage carefully for awhile.

Second the "trailer plug" if present should be replaced. If you have an old school ammeter in your control panel I'd lose that. No sense running the alt output all the way to the back of the boat and back to the batteries. You can put an ammeter close to the batteries down below (I have a shunt and a electronic guage).

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
IIRC the ampmeter went away ~ 1987 (I can look it up if anyone is really interested. Trailer plugs were much later