Hi, st60, rod kicker broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2009
2 309 Frog Motar Creek
Hello all. And thanks to John.
Has any one experienced the gas strut failing on the rod kicker? Selden replaced but I wonder if I have to adjust the boom attachment aft. Also while out playing last weekend with my new A sail :dance:made me interested to know anyone's thoughts on the tacker from ATN?

John I am still interested in your photos from your ST60 install and battery mods.

jkittka

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Hello all. And thanks to John.
Has any one experienced the gas strut failing on the rod kicker? Selden replaced but I wonder if I have to adjust the boom attachment aft. Also while out playing last weekend with my new A sail :dance:made me interested to know anyone's thoughts on the tacker from ATN?

John I am still interested in your photos from your ST60 install and battery mods.

jkittka
I've replaced mine twice. The first one was replaced with an identical strut by the dealer under warranty. That one also failed, shortly after the boat went out of warranty, but Selden agreed to replace the part and I installed it myself (not difficult). The last replacement was with a more powerful strut cartridge, which seems to have fixed it - it's lasted over a year now, while the two previous ones only lasted a few months. The stronger strut does require a LOT more effort on the boom vang control line - I find that I need to use the winch most of the time, but overall I think it's a much improved arrangement. I also thought I might need to move the vang attachment aft on the boom, but when I took measurements, I found it to be where it's recommended by Selden. I don't have an A-sail, so can't help with that.

I haven't forgotten you were interested in pictures of the battery mods - just keep forgetting the camera! Actually, I just finished the last touches on the modified wiring yesterday. Still need to figure out some sort of hold-down arrangement for the two 4D's, although their weight will keep them in their box unless I get rolled beyond 90 degrees (hopefully won't happen in the Chesapeake!).

Status
Not open for further replies.