Help With Nasty Odors when Flushing

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
spent 12 years in water and wastewater treatment, if you feel a holding smells just fine it's OK with me, I did all your "recommendations" before I finally put the vent filter on

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Obviously you didn't follow all my recommendations (which anyone in waste water treatment shouldn't need 'cuz those are people who taught 'em to me), or there would be NO odor out the vent...not just an "acceptable amount"...none.

Jan 12, 2011
I'm not interested in one of these "Peggie Hall is always right so you must be wrong"
So I'll just be wrong and move on.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Guess you gotta give up on this one Peggie! We occasionally get similar replies here in the plumbing department at Lowe's...we just don't UNDERSTAND!!!:banghead:

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Just an update as the OP, replaced the old vent line and questionable Holding tank Vent Filter with new 3/4" hose in a direct line. Think the hose was leaching odor through it and also some connections could have been lose.
Added K.O. to the system and there are no more odors inside and very little on a flush on the exterior. Did not have a chance to totally flush the tank and run the macerator yet but am sure that will further get rid of any remaining odors.
Spent 3 nights on the boat and 2 on the hook and Admiral and I are very glad to not have those odors when using the head or even leary to use it.
Only have 1 final issue on the head with resistant when pumping in the dry mode but am looking through the post regarding that.
Thanks again Peggie.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
AFter following this, I definitely need to get more familiar with my Jabsco. And not in the college party way!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Only have 1 final issue on the head with resistant when pumping in the dry mode but am looking through the post regarding that.
It may just need lubrication. If that doesn't solve the problem, it could be the bottom valve or a problem that's been very common in Jabsco Manual toilets for quite a few years: a failed wet/dry cam. The wet/dry "valve" is actually just a little "gate" (the cam) that the lever swings to block or unblock the flow of incoming flush water. Due to either a tooling or mfr'g flaw, it hangs up...creating back pressure that feels like pumping against a clog or blocked tank vent, except it only happens in one mode--usually the wet mode, but can be the dry mode.

The cure: replace the wet/dry cam assembly. Jabsco often sends out a new one for no charge...but then you have to take the pump apart to replace it, which can be a PITA and really messy if you can't flush water through the pump to clean it out before you take it apart.

So my advice: just replace the pump instead. It's prob'ly overdue for a rebuild or at least a joker valve --and besides, modern Jabsco toilets have fairly short lifespan--they're purposely made to be "disposable" like everything else today. A service kit costs almost as much as a pump, which doesn't cost that much anyway...HopCar will give you a good price...and swapping it out only requires removing and replacing the 4 bolts that hold the pump on the base and two hoses, which beats the socks off taking the pump apart!

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Peggie, just upgraded the head last year going from the compact to the full size so I would hope it is still in good shape.
Will try to reach out to Jabsco on getting a new Wet/Dry Cam and will install.
Any chance you know a contact there ;)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Paul Campagna is Jabsco's toilet tech support guy. 978-282-5246

However, that may not be your problem, so be sure to discuss your symptoms with him instead of just asking for a cam assembly. I'd try for a new pump if yours is less than a year old...'cuz as I said earlier, removing and replacing the 4 bolts that hold the pump on the base and two hoses definitely beats the socks off taking the pump apart!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
My last Jabsco head pump lasted 5 months before the cam started having issues, which was the same reason I replaced it the time before. Rebuilding them instead of replacing them seems a crazy way to save $20.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
instead of removing the 4 bolts that hold the pump, remove the 4 bolts that hold the bowl and throw the rest away. Order a Raritan LBA (either the std or compact) from this site (thanks, Peggy) and you'll never have problems again. It's a simple swap out (you reuse the porcelain bowl) and you end up with a powerful, super reliable head