Help! Need trailer tongue extension advice

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I used all of my 25’ of chain and backed the tow vehicle up to the hubs to get my boat deep enough to float. Consequently I do not think a tongue extension of that length is workable. I believe the best answer is the Meriachee dolly wheel and 30’ of chain. I think it would work safely in almost any situation. The wobbledicky wheel worked for me this time but It was on a smooth asphalt road and I still held my breath several times. James

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
The simple solution is always the best... I guess I should forget about extensions and just get more use out of my 30 ft tow straps!

I used all of my 25’ of chain and backed the tow vehicle up to the hubs to get my boat deep enough to float. Consequently I do not think a tongue extension of that length is workable. I believe the best answer is the Meriachee dolly wheel and 30’ of chain. I think it would work safely in almost any situation. The wobbledicky wheel worked for me this time but It was on a smooth asphalt road and I still held my breath several times. James

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
James, Maybe buy a lift kit for the tow vehicle ? hehe :D

25ft of chain plus at the hubs ? Ouch.

Are there any other ramps on your lake that might be steeper ?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
We have had a lot of rain and the res is 10 feet above normal. that is why I had to use unconventional launch at an access road. James

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
10 feet ! No wonder then.
When you said it was "over launch ramp", I didn't dream it was that much.

Any chance you took photos of the launch ? ... You know the rules ! ;)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Last edited:

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Communication is a difficult art form. I probably used too many words to be succinct or made to many assumptions to be understandable. I had no idea you were referencing a dolly handle. If nothing else this forum is good practice. James

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
LOL... yeah.

The current focus on text based communication is a bit of a problem. Especially so with texting.
What can be said in seconds, and fully understood, in person... takes hours and a bunch of emoticons. :p :) LOL

Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
Thanks for pix Chief. I see pix where you used chain to launch. So I can do it with the right front wheel.

Last edited: