Help! Need trailer tongue extension advice

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I have been using a 30 foot tow line attached to the trailer and the vehicles hitch along with the Harbor Freight hand dolly. Works well. Hand dolly was on sale for $50 and the tow rope was about $30. Keeps the van out of the water.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Richie,
I am getting this set up together. thanks for your input, James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
question

I have been using a 30 foot tow line attached to the trailer and the vehicles hitch along with the Harbor Freight hand dolly. Works well. Hand dolly was on sale for $50 and the tow rope was about $30. Keeps the van out of the water.
The ad for this dolly says "600 lb", Obviously it works for you. Are there issue with the weight of the tongue wieght of a trailer loaded with a C-22? I am trying to decided on this or the two wheel 1500 lbs swing back jack.
thanks, James

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
James: Whatever works but seems the dolly would be a seperate unit to set up where wheel just drops down and locks in place and is attached to your trailer.
Thanks for your service to our country and hope your not too permanently injured. You must be a Vietnam Vet, I served 2 years over there. Chief. CW3, Army ret.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Wow, Chief, do I owe you an apology!! I made the erroneous assumption you were in the NAVY, hence the "squid" slur the other day. Whole new level of respect now!

I will drop and give you 40 pushups immediately. (Old 11 Bravo here) :)

Nov 26, 2012
Gene:I think you know I like you, so kidding from you doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoy it! The reason you would think I am Navy is the Chief title plus you probably vaguely remember I also served as an Electronics Tech E6,US Navy before I jumped ship and took my Army Warrant rank. Yep, I'm a stinkin' officer! ha
James: Glad your staying active! I think you and Gene will like the chain or rope concept for drop back with the trailer. You guys will be amazed as your normal wobbledicking while backing down won't even affect the trailer! It just keeps dropping straight back! (I think wobbledicking is a Navy term) ha
Chief

Oct 4, 2010
The ad for this dolly says "600 lb", Obviously it works for you. Are there issue with the weight of the tongue wieght of a trailer loaded with a C-22? I am trying to decided on this or the two wheel 1500 lbs swing back jack. thanks, James
James, not sure about the tongue weight issues but my single wheel swing jack was shaking to much on the grooved ramp. I had seen the dolly talked about in this forum last year and gave it a try. All good so far. Replaced the jack this year with s dual wheel model.

Dittos on the thank you for your service and to all the other members of the service. I don't think you all get the credit you deserve. My farther in law served on the USS Cabot.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thank you Richie for the thanks and for this information about your experience with the jacks and dolly. Real world experience is most valuble.
Regards, James

Oct 4, 2010
I must give all the credit to this forum and the skippers sharing their experience and know how. I just wish I had the time to follow up with everything I learned here. Still trying to fully understand how other raise the mast by themselves without a gin pole. I've been stand on the cabin top an lifting but feel the need to have assistance to be steady and complete the lift. Following the other thread on mast raising.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I picked up a dual wheel trailer jack yesterday, will install today. I am going to get my boat back in the water Thursday come hell or the high water.

Slightly off topic:
What knot is used to secure the line to wire main halyards? My jib came lose and when checking the main it only is half hitched. The end is barely tucked into the loop. It looked to me like it was near coming out also. I reconnected both with a bowline. What is recommended?
James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Back in the water!!!

Thankfully S.V. Grace is back in the water. It was a beautiful day even if hot and humid. We took a restful swim mid lake in the cool clear water. So glad she is back in her slip. Thanks to everyone’s comments and advice, especially ChiefRA on how to get it done.
Side note: I tested the “in the water, single-hand” mast gin pole raising system. Will post results in that thread.

Ps. Woobledicky launch system for flooded / shallow ramps.
Here is a recap of the steps to get this done extracted from various post and discussion in this thread.
Items needed;
1. Add a double wheel trailer jack as close to hitch as possible. (If trailer is not equipped)
2. Assemble 30 ft of chain with securable hooks / shackles.
3. 2 wheel chocks.
4. Long shore / anchor line.
5. Swim ladder on boat. (to get aboard after launch)
Steps to follow:
1. Back boat down as far as possible into water.
2. Place wheel chocks behind trailer wheels.
3. Connect chain from tow vehicle to trailer.
4. Support trailer on double wheel trailer jack and disconnect trailer from tow vehicle.
5. Move tow vehicle up to take a strain on chain.
6. Remove wheel chocks from trailer wheels.
7. Ease tow vehicle back letting weight of boat roll trailer with boat into deeper water.
8. When boat floats pull trailer away.
James

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
James: You can't do it better than that! Those pictures will teach many sailors: hey Gene! Where are you! You will love these pictures! Thanks, it was fun helping. Chief

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Guessing that's a road due to the flood, so I can't see it being so steep as to the trailer rolling back on its own for retrieval, especially with water resistance. Did you have to push the trailer to the boat?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
No, this was a launch. The trailer with boat on it rolled back easily by gravity. Sorry, no pics of that step. I was driving, backing down with the chain letting the boat on trailer go deeper so the boat floated off trailer.
James

Ps. I did push / pull the trailer around some to get it centered on the road for the haul out. It was fairly easy I guess cause it was submerged and the air in the tires. So I estimate if you would back a trailer in as far as possible you could manually push it deeper. Then wobbledicky it out when you floated the boat on.
James

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
James: You can't do it better than that! Those pictures will teach many sailors: hey Gene! Where are you! You will love these pictures! Thanks, it was fun helping. Chief
I was carefully examining the pics for any signs of wobbledicking. :D

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
The Wobbledicky appeared while I was backing down... I missed it but I am sure I heard its distinctive crazed wild cry... James

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The little wheels on trailer jacks are not up to the task of being a launching dolly. Don't ask me how I found this out. It was not the fault of the dolly, it was the 12" drop to the dirt between a couple of the concrete slabs in the water.

This picture is the new, retractable dolly.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Mariachee you are of course correct but the ramp must be in decent condition to use the wheel. Of course most of us do not regularly launch a ship like you do! Double axles are a plus as the wheel basically has no weight on it. Mine just touches occasionally as I drop back. Chief

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Chief,
Oddly enough, the new wheel barely touches the ground while the imbalance over the ramp apex is taking place. You can see it in the launch video, its most unnerving. While the boat isn't going to fall off anytime soon, it sure -looks- like it's going to.
Changing to the retractable spare as a dolly wheel was probably the single best mod to the trailer. Simple and effective.

Nov 26, 2012
James: What was your assessment of how well your wheel performed, and what weight one did you finally use? I think slow is the answer, don't you? You did great for a kid! ha
Chief