Help! Need trailer tongue extension advice

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Flooding at my lake raises water level over launch ramp up roadway. This becomes too shallow to launch the C-22. I waded out and measured water level. I estimate an 8 foot extension to my trailer tongue would get me deep enough to launch.
Anyone have experience with trailer tongues?
Here are a lsit of parts I think I could use to put one together. Please give me some advice guidance on getting this tongue extension done so I can get boat back in the water.
Here's a list of parts I think I could assemble an extension with.
http://www.easternmarine.com/
CONTINENTAL 3" x 3" x 96" Galvanized Trailer Tongue #95-08214 - Stock #: 5442010 $94.95

3" Channel x 2" Ball Straight Tongue Trailer Coupler #22-300 - Stock #: 5020055 $19.99

2" Regular Duty, Zinc Trailer Hitch Ball #63821 - Stock #: 5020122 Edit
$7.56

FULTON 1,500 lb. Dual Wheel Marine Trailer Tongue Jack #XPD15L - Stock #: 5020060
$79.95

Grand Total $243.32
Subtotal $202.45
Shipping & Handling (United Parcel Service - UPS Ground) $40.87

Thank you, James

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
So evidently your boat trailer doesn't already have a tongue extension built into it? Living around Bull Shoals, I would think there are plenty of places to buy the parts locally, and the shipping on that length and weight of steel seems pretty cheap. Is there a metal or welding shop in your area that might have the steel channel,(granted, won't be galvanized, but you're in fresh water, so a good paint job will take care of that.

Check the C-22 Tech Manual, I believe there are tongue extensions among all the information it contains.

Don

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
James: Just keep it simple and use a length of chain. All you need do is back up to ramp slope and chock trailer. Unhook hitch and attach chain to trailer and truck. Take it up ramp enough to remove chocks and let it free roll into the drink! A person can guide the tongue if you want. I always carry 30' of chain. Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Great suggestion, I did not think of. I will need to get a trailer jack with wheels but that is a lot simpler and less expensive. I think I need one of those heavy duty type with dual wheels. I'll try to find one or may have to drive up to Springfield MO.
thanks, James

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
James: Just keep it simple and use a length of chain. All you need do is back up to ramp slope and chock trailer. Unhook hitch and attach chain to trailer and truck. Take it up ramp enough to remove chocks and let it free roll into the drink! A person can guide the tongue if you want. I always carry 30' of chain. Chief
Chief, what keeps the trailer tongue from dragging the pavement? You can't be using the little wheel on the tongue jack, right?

Nov 26, 2012
Yes Gene, all it takes is a trailer tongue wheel but the strong double tire one is best. It's so simple even you can do it! (insert smilie here) Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Hey Gene, didn't you have a hook between tow vehicle and trailer type extension, not one of the pull out type before? Thats the type I was thinking of putting together if the chain and wheeled jack doen't work well enough to use when ever.
James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Chief, this is the only one close buy. It says 1,000 lbs. Is that strong enough?
thanks, James
Reese 1000-lb Capacity Side Wind Trailer Jack
Item #: 184434 | Model #: 74410HD Holester MO. 40 miles one way

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
So evidently your boat trailer doesn't already have a tongue extension built into it? Living around Bull Shoals, I would think there are plenty of places to buy the parts locally, and the shipping on that length and weight of steel seems pretty cheap. Is there a metal or welding shop in your area that might have the steel channel,(granted, won't be galvanized, but you're in fresh water, so a good paint job will take care of that.

Check the C-22 Tech Manual, I believe there are tongue extensions among all the information it contains.

Don
CaptDon01,
There is probably local stuff, but I'm not from around here so I don't know jack about who, what or where. If I was on the MS Gulf coast It would already be done. In the tech manual I only see info on the pull out type tongue extensions, not one to fit between.
thanks James

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
simple extension of any length

The cheapest and the simplest would be using a hand trailer dolly and modify the handle to be longer with a ball coupler on the other end.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-60533.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=60&q=Trailer
+Hitches

find the extension material and bolts at your local hardware store.

Align trailer on the launch ramp with the vehicle, block trailer wheels, pull vehicle forward, attach extension and back straight down the ramp.

Bolt unit to trailer under the hull for transporting.

Less than $100 dollars and you can build in your garage with hacksaw and drill.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thanks, Good info, Could the handle be made 8 tp 10 feet long if needed?
James

Nov 26, 2012
James: XPD15L is one of the tongue wheels on Amazon and it holds 1500 lbs. I do not think you need that heavy a wheel as long as you are double axle. Tongue weight wise its probably around a few hundred but you want extra strength for the rolling factor. I think you can go with the one you have found.

Where is Gene? I can"t pick on him if he's not here!

Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Chief, my trailer is a refurbed Mac 25 trailer. modified to carry the c-22, single axel.
Guess I'd better stay with a double wheel model jack?
James

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
adjustable boom height.

I would find pipe or tubing that will slide into each other and drill extra holes to make the length adjustable. 8 foot lengths would allow the adjustment to go from 8 to 13 feet and would only be 8 feet for handling and storage.

This stuff can be light duty because the strength would be in pulling at the ramp, your not going to use this devise on the open highway.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Where is Gene? I can"t pick on him if he's not here!

Chief

I'm still here! Whadda ya want, ya wrinkly ol' squid?? :D

As much as I hate to admit it, I think I'm gonna take your advice! My trailer only extends 4', and I had thought about making a super-long ball hitch like James was talking about. But your chain idea sounds easier, and will work on ANY ramp. I'll just want to upgrade my tongue jack is all; I don't trust the one I have for this kind of work.

Nov 26, 2012
Yeah, sounds like that will do on the rare occasions you need it. Remember, I told you about making a receiver hitch extension as well. They are simple and fairly cheap too. 2x2" box stock about 6' with a ball on the end works fine for the ramp. It too needs a good wheel.
I might be old but no wrinkles, just muscles!
Chief

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Chief,
I rounded up my chain It's about 20 ft. I have a four wheel trans jack that the up and down screw striped out so I think I can wield a pipe fitting on it that the boat trailer jack leg will fit down into. I'll drill a hole thru it to match the jack leg hole so they can be bolted and unbolted together. That'll be quicker than ordering a 2 wheel jack. There are power lines in the way of the only accessable road leading down to the launch ramp so I'll need to step the mast in the water. I started laying out a gin pole to replace my prototype a-frame. But the steady stays, line , block, and mast crutch rig to the jib sheet winch is ready so I'm close to getting the boat back in the water and under sail. I'll keep you posted. Thanks a great deal for the help.
James