Help installing MSD on a Thetford 550p (Porta Potti)

Oct 11, 2018
kelsall 40 bali
I would be very grateful is anyone could help me with the correct method of installing an MSD with macerator pump on a Thetford 550P

I am building a cat in Indonesia and both I and the local plummer are stumped by the limited documentation that comes with the Thetford 550P with repsct to how to connect the MSD to a macerator pump. I have emailed Thetford and they seem unwilling to offer any advice.

I note that some members have hooked up a macerator pump for overboard discharge to porta pottis - any photos, advice or weblinks would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Guy Warwick

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Fortunately, as I discovered when you posted the same request on the cruisers.com site, you did get the MSD version. And I concur wholeheartedly that Thetford's literature and instructions leave a LOT to be desired!

Dometic/SeaLand also makes an MSD portapotty--their 975 MSD. The pumpout and vent fittings are similar to the Thetford and they provide a lot more detailed instructions and drawings that should help you sort out how to swap out the pour spout for the MSD hose fittings on your Thetford. Dometic 975MSD owner's manual

The macerator pump isn't connected directly to the portapotty, it's installed in the pumpout HOSE same as it would be in the discharge hose from any other holding tank.

Btw...I see you just joined sbo.com a couple of days ago...welcome aboard!

--Peggie