Help!! Did I make a huge mistake?

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Thanks cloudDiver I'm sure I'll figure something out when it comes time to do the glass and prep in there. I'm going to wait till spring probably unless the trailer and bottom paint goes better/faster than expected.

I saw some cracks in the bottom of the boat at the back and decided to grind them out today. Ended up finding some fairly large voids bewtween the glass and the gel. There were also some small air bubble holes so I just opened them up a bit for better end results.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm not sure what to fill with. Might use bondo-glass filler. Or might use west with 406 and 407.

It looks like I could go further with the voids but I don't want to get carried away. If you look at the bottom ground section in the third picture you can still see a little void but I think the filler will take care of that

What do you think?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Those cracks and divots are either a) minor voids and inconsistencies in the gelcoat or b) the start of very small blisters or 'pox'; this is the minor version of osmotic blisters where the water molecules are just in between the gelcoat and laminate, not festering deep in the fiberglass. Probably a combination of both, but very minor. Grinding out was the right thing to do, but DONT use bondo to fill them. DO use epoxy thickened with colloidal silica, it will only take a small amount to fill those and sand smooth.
If I were you I would go ahead and finish the repairs in the keel pocket so you can finish up with all the Interprotect barrier coat. That stuff can sit 6 months and you can still paint the antifoul without having to sand. If you can get that done now you can wait until spring to apply anti-foul paint and reattach the keel. You have the keel fully sealed, I'd focus on finishing the bottom and then you can fiddle with fairing and finishing the keel indoors when the snow flies.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Thanks for the advice. I used west with 406 and 407 (more 406) and filled some today. Had a bit more grinding in some areas so I'll mix another batch and finish the back soon. Ground out the crack in the keel pocket at the front and found the crack is right into the glass. Someone has drilled holes in an attempt to stop the crack from spreading but it only worked on one side. Not sure how to fix this now.

I'm guessing this damage is from the keel cable breaking and the keel slamming into the front of the pocket. Definitely an old injury, not from the person I bought it from as it was under the barrier coat.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sep 8, 2014
You are totally on the right track with filling those spots on the hull. Should be easy to sand fair with an orbital and then paint with Interprotect.
For the keel pocket damage, that is a tougher nut to crack but not impossible. That should be the aft side of the keel pocket, so from the Port lazzarete locker where the keel lockdown bolt is you might have access to the backside of the damaged area... If I was at home I'd go look at my own boat but I'm still in the office. Place a bright light in the keel pocket, then go in that area inside the boat and see if you can snap some pics... The weak cracked area where you sanded should be glowing where it is thin and the light helps you see it better.
If I am right (and I'm only 80% sure right now) that you have access to back side of the keel trunk from the inside... My advice would be to sand back all the paint on six inches of either side of the damage. Be careful not to sand through or break through the thin areas. From the inside, use 6 oz fiberglass tape, maybe 4 or 6 inches wide and lay up several layers... maybe 6 total. Only laminate like 3 at a time or it will get too thick. I use the fast cure (405) hardener, that way when the first layer sets up (with a little light heat gun or blow dryer assistance) I lay the next few layers. That's called 'hot coating', or laying up the next layer before the first fully cures so you don't have to worry about amine blush or sanding between laminations. This works well on small repairs to speed up labor time.
If you can reinforce the inside that way, it gives you a great foundation to put laminations on the damage from inside the pocket. Also, making it stronger than original is good... you don't have to worry about feathering the repair area out over a larger area since you are working in such a tight space. I'd just use like a 2 inch wide tape, cut several strips. Layer them in the damaged area as neatly as possible paying attention to how much you build up.... just try to avoid going beyond the original thickness. If it is slightly lower, don't worry.... remember you've got several layers on the back side for strength. Fill the remaining depth, if any, will the light fairing filler so its easy to sand.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Unfortunately no access. Here are some pics without flash then with flash. One set taken looking back from the v birth one set taken from inside the drawer area under the cook top area.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm not sure what exactly is going on in there but I know I'll probably have to cut open the liner to fix it. I really don't want to but I don't see much option.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Did some of the trailer today also. One part didn't fit. It was the same part that needed welding because the tab broke one side of the welds. I will have to file it out. It's about 1/8" off.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I used a little black 3M 5200 on the parts when I mounted them.

Sep 8, 2014
No need to cut out the liner... You should be able to do an effective repair from inside the keel pocket... Don't worry about the backside of it. Really, its not worth cutting that liner and then having to repair the gelcoat.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
No need to cut out the liner... You should be able to do an effective repair from inside the keel pocket... Don't worry about the backside of it. Really, its not worth cutting that liner and then having to repair the gelcoat.
Oh ok, I'll have to deal with that in spring. I'll ask about it again at that point.

Thanks.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
More updates. Finished the repairs on the transom and decided to just paint the water line that was on the boat before. So most of the boat got a second coat but the transom only has one.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Hi guys, so I have made some progress and got the boat out of storage from winter. As I went to deal with the cracks in the keel pocket it is becoming apparent that this requires a great deal of repair. The crack is more significant than I thought. There is also "bruising" or delaminating layers in front of the keel as you can see from the white spots in the photos. The holes you can see are from the previous owner or repair tech has unsuccessfully attempted to stop the crack by drilling holes.

Now I feel like this really may have been a huge mistake. I only have a few months left before my work area is sold from under me so I need to make this happen quickly. To access the front of the keel I would have to remove internal wood structure that is in front of the pocket. I have a "new design" model, not sure if they are different.

Here are some pics
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017
Sirius 21 virginia
Got the trailer out. Everything went very smoothly. Did some extra reinforcements of the temporary stand and it was solid as a rock.

Had to remove the fenders for clearance but they need to be replaced anyways.
View attachment 126103 View attachment 126104 View attachment 126105 View attachment 126106

Thanks for all the help and advice. I couldn't have done it without it :)
I love your wooden boat stand that supports the bow. Do you have more pictures or specifics (lumber sizes, etc)? I'm curious why you tilted the support posts forward? Are forces better distributed that way?