Help!! Did I make a huge mistake?

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
Looking good!

When I rebuilt my trailer I had to cut almost every bolt and u-bolt off due to rust. When I reinstalled the new SS hardware, I used anti-seize compound on all bolt threads. Just throwing it out there.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Hey Reefsider. Nice job on the trailer!
Just noticed you are in Toronto. Whereabouts in the city are you, and where are you planning to sail? We now have 4 Catalina 22s at our club in Scarborough and always looking to welcome new members, particularly those with nice boats, such as Catalinas!

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Reefsider: your trailer is looking good. My trailer is going to need the same treatment, unfortunately. Couple of questions for you:

- how long did it take you to. Sand it and wire brush it?
- which tools worked best for you. I have a 4" grinder that I think I can get sanding disks and p wire brush attachments for. Something like that? Or did you find a better way to do it?
- did you spray on the primer, or brush it on?
- did you use any kind of a chemical rust neutralizer before applying the primer?

This looks like a lot of work; but, maybe it's not as bad as it looks. I enjoy sailing my boat a whole lot more than working on it; but, sometimes ya just gotta double-down and spend the time on the maintenance.

- Bob

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
RJD - Thanks :)
I used a decent impact gun so it either came off or broke off pretty quick lol. I was surprised how many came off though. No cutting or drilling thankfully.
I will also use stainless when putting it back together and I know about anti-seize from experience.
I pretty much coat every screw that is metal on metal with something. I like aviation gasket seal or loctite but for stainless on stainless it's the copper anti-seize for sure.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Chris115 - I'm not sure where I'll be keeping the boat yet. I have a few ideas but haven't made a final decision. Im on a pretty tight budget so it may be a trailer sailer for a year or two. I'll PM you and we can chat a bit. It would be great to get out sailing with other C22's :)

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Barnacle_Bob -
it didn't take that long really. All that was one day pretty much. It was a lot of work, very dirty, and tough on the back though.

I started by removing everything bolted to the trailer except the axle. I was tempted to remove the frame from the suspension rails but decided I'm on a time deadline and that would have to wait.
There was a ton of cracking and peeling and different colours showing through so I decided to try to get as much old paint off as I could. I first tried using a chemical stripper but it was a complete waste of time and money. I ended up using a rubber backed drill attachment for grinding (36 grit) and went at the outside and basically anywhere I could reach the tool. I didn't take everything off everywhere. Just enough that I knew what was there was on there good by the way the wheel was taking it off. Then I used a hand wire brush for the really tight spots and moved on to the drill attachment 4" wire wheel. I used that for most of the inside of the c rails and on the suspension. Then used a DA sander and hand sanded some parts. By this time I was completely coated head to toe in rust, dirt and paint dust, don't forget a good mask and glasses!

Now clean everything including yourself lol. You don't want that stuff falling into your nice paint job.

Next wash the entire trailer with a clean cloth wet with acetone and you're ready to paint. You can use etching primer but it's expensive and I didnt. I used tremclad rust paint and the tremclad/armour coat primer. I used a brush for the tough to reach parts but for anything I could I used a small roller. I like how nice and even the roller makes everything and it's so much faster. I'm actually going to buy smaller rollers to do the inside of the c-rails when I paint the colour. It really does come out so much better.

Hope that helps. Not sure it's the right way but it's how I did it.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Reefsider: Thank you. Really great tips. I am in Arizona and our sailing season gets started in about a month. It's still too hot to start this job, but I do think that I'll try to repaint the trailer in the cooler months ahead, before year-end. Thanks for sharing your experience.

- Bob

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Looking good. Your trailer is similar to mine. Though there are some differences. I'm going to be doing the same to mine good to see your pics. Keep them coming.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Reefsider: Thank you. Really great tips. I am in Arizona and our sailing season gets started in about a month. It's still too hot to start this job, but I do think that I'll try to repaint the trailer in the cooler months ahead, before year-end. Thanks for sharing your experience.

- Bob
Yeah, I'm in Oklahoma and it's been the same here though not quite as hot. Humidity has been higher though which just makes it miserable. 15 minutes of work then 45 minutes of recovery from the heat.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Yep it's been crazy hot here too we've been in a heat wave. Temps in the 90's for a couple weeks now and so sticky humid. I'm on a time deadline though so just got to deal with it and keep going.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
More progress. Mostly sanding. This is a huge job; Extremely messy and a lot of work.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's as far as I've gotten with the hull. The cream being exposed is still a barrier layer and you can see the blue stripe is paint applied above the original water line so is lower than the barrier coat.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Where did you get the stands from ?
I've been considering making my own, and have yet to look into a source for the screwjack portion of the stands.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
I got them from an industrial manufacturing place up near Parry Sound Ontario. I can send you the information in a PM once I dig up the receipt. They were pretty affordable and that's in Canadian dollars so you might want the whole thing not just the screw jack part.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
YOU NEED TO PUT A CHAIN BETWEEN THE STANDS THAT HOLD THE BOAT ON EITHER SIDE FOR SAFTEY. OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT FAIL/MOVE TO THE OUTSIDE AND THE BOAT COMES CRASHING DOWN!

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
The boat stand are secured together with heavy duty ratchet tie downs. I talked to the manufacturer of the stands and they told me it was completely safe. On these stands the hooks are part of the top pivot/pad holder.

Tha stands were $100 CAD which is pretty hard to beat.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
$100 CAD each. Not bad at all. I'd love the info from that receipt. :)

I had been looking at the screw jack system that attaches to the trailer frame so you can lift and service the hull in place on the trailer. It's just over $500 usd.

Using heavy cargo straps between the pads sounds like good setup compared to the typical chains you see. Though, UV damage would be a risk later I assume.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Also:

http://www.scaffoldmart.com/?gclid=CN7a_JXf084CFVKEfgod6voEsw

Look for marine products off their main page-- I ordered these to go with my used brownells-- very pleased.
I was going to order from them but the larger stands that I needed had to be freight shipped. Cost more to ship than the stands itself. Same with Defender. I ended up ordering a Brownell from West Marine and had it "ship to store" for free for about $210.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I was going to order from them but the larger stands that I needed had to be freight shipped. Cost more to ship than the stands itself. Same with Defender. I ended up ordering a Brownell from West Marine and had it "ship to store" for free for about $210.
That's the same issue here. Even moreso in Canada where companies like UPS extort you when bringing it over the border.
I usually have things shipped to the border from a company that gives free shipping, then drive to the border to pick it up.