Help! Choosing the correct prop???

May 16, 2018
beneteau moorings 382 Port Sidney Marina
Hi all, so 2 years ago I re-powered my 1998 moorings 382 (1998 oceanis 381). The old engine was a 42hp @ 3000rpm Westerbeke with some weird gearbox from Spain. I had to translate it and found it had two different ratios for forward and reverse (forward was like 2.71:1 I think). The new Westerbeke is a 44hp @ 3000rpm with a 2:1 reduction. My prop and shaft are still the same since I bought it. the shaft is 30mm not sure what the prop is but it is definitely under pitched. It's a fixed RH 3blade. My theoretical hull speed should be just over 8 knots. my current max hull speed is 6.5 knots @ 3000 rpm. the exhaust never burns rich/black so I'm definitely not stressing the motor. I think the gear box is over working though. I'm about to haul out and replace the prop while bottom painting, if anyone has suggestions for me I would be very appreciative!!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Suggestion: Contact prop makers and tell them them the story.
+1 to Ron’s suggestion.
The prop people will be mostly interested in the gearbox forward ratio, shaft diameter, and if its tapered, direction of rotation and whether you want a 2 blade or 3 blade prop.

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Hi all, so 2 years ago I re-powered my 1998 moorings 382 (1998 oceanis 381). The old engine was a 42hp @ 3000rpm Westerbeke with some weird gearbox from Spain. I had to translate it and found it had two different ratios for forward and reverse (forward was like 2.71:1 I think). The new Westerbeke is a 44hp @ 3000rpm with a 2:1 reduction. My prop and shaft are still the same since I bought it. the shaft is 30mm not sure what the prop is but it is definitely under pitched. It's a fixed RH 3blade. My theoretical hull speed should be just over 8 knots. my current max hull speed is 6.5 knots @ 3000 rpm. the exhaust never burns rich/black so I'm definitely not stressing the motor. I think the gear box is over working though. I'm about to haul out and replace the prop while bottom painting, if anyone has suggestions for me I would be very appreciative!!
Old engine 42hp @ 3000rpm with reduction ratio 2.71:1
New engine 44hp @ 3000rpm with reduction ratio 2:1.
Prop and shaft are still the same!

When I replace my gear box from 2.35:1 to 2.05:1 I had to change to a smaller propeller because the old one was too big (overprop) for a shaft that is now turning faster. So, how can you be under prop (I suppose this is what you mean saying "under pitched")? I don't get it!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
thank you, I'll look into this.
With the changes made to your drive line, I doubt anyone else has the same, so opinions are not much relevant. Manufacturers can plug your drive line specs into a computer to give you the answer you need. (Try several different ones.) Doug and I have had success with the GORI folding 2-blades. He might have an old one to sell??? As Stu says, "you have to look at the WHOLE system", not just one segment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow. that is a beautiful image. My mouth is watering already.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Try a kiwi prop, not expensive they have improved them recently ,you can get 3 or 4 blade .They are like having brakes when it comes to docking and pitch is fully adjustable to get to hull speed.