Help a new sailor fix up an old boat

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
Welcome to the glamourous life of a boat captain. First thing I would suggest is that you come to an agreement with the owner on who pays for what. If you are providing labor, and he is retaining title to the boat, I would suggest that he pay for any parts or materials. Just changing all the lines and running rigging can be several hundred dollars. If you are going to pay for stuff, then there should be an agreement as to the minimum time you will have use of the boat...a lease is a good way to set up the terms. A boat that has been sitting for 3years and has needs as you describe is a very difficult boat to sell. Fix her up, and there is a market for a well cared for, well found Hunter 34. Owners who don't use their boats are burdened by slip and insurance fees, and are usually happy to pass that burden on. Maybe you can work out an owner financing deal that suits you both. Whatever you do about the boat, please learn the rules of the road and familiarize yourself with the hazards associated with sailing and boating.

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Neptune 24 Slidell, Louisiana
Thank you braol for the knolwedge. I appreciate the warning but greatly appreciate all the good information. It's just what I need. For now I just want to make it livable and see if it even appeals to me. If it does I may do more work to it or I may just start saving for my own boat. I don't know yet. Sails looked okay but I'm no professional. The main sail cover was dryrot so we ripped it off and put a tarp around it. Didn't look at the jib yet. Will worry about all of that later on.

HMT2 you are awesome thank you for the book. Just bought it from Amazon and will get it Wednesday. I greatly appreciate someone who gets it. I'd do anything for my family even those by choice. But I'm not dumb and won't let someone screw me even family.

Thanks for the info Charliegrau. Trust me, there will be contracts and stuff before I spend a penny on this boat. I'm just trying to get a list of everything that needs done to make it livable. It will all go in an excel sheet and I will get prices of everything in addition to estimated labor. I'm OCD and rarely do anything half assed. I appreciate everyone's concern on the owner dicking me over but it really isn't something I'm asking you guys for help with. If you want to help me fix up the boat, then I want all the knowledge you're willing to put through your fingers. That's what I'm here for not whether or not I should fix it up.

Batteries - 1 is MAXX-24DC other is 31DCM. I'm pretty sure all 3 need to be replaced, do they have to be these part number batteries or are there others I should look at that are cheaper? These exact ones appear to be $100 each. It looks like he has some kind of timer rigged to a battery charger?

Battery Charger - How do I check if it's working alright? Can I rent a device from autozone or home depot to check? The engine isn't starting right now because of bad batteries I can try to put a charger on them and try to start. That's what they did when they wanted to sail it.

Air Conditioning - The switch is busted so I need to get a phillips screwdriver and look under the panel. He thinks the AC worked fine before the switch busted. I flipped everything on and it made no noise so guessing it broke in the off position or he rigged it to just stay off? If it don't come on, what's the first step in troubleshooting?

Head/Holding tank - Needs some love. Toilet was full of algae and water. I pumped it out and found the handle you use to pump has a bad seal as algae water splashed out of the handle all over my hand. How do I check the holding tank?

Water - The water pump works but is extremely noisy. It is apparently in the head under the floor and I couldn't figure out how to get the panel off to investigate (was running low on daylight). So couldn't check the thru hull and strainer. Does the pump put water into some kind of pressurized tank or is it a turn on when you want running water then turn it off when you don't? How do I go about emptying the water that's been stored for the past 3 years and fill it back up with fresh water? How do I drain the waste tanks? How do I check to make sure they are good?

Mold - Didnt notice any. No mildew smell. Cushions all seemed fine and smelled okay. I checked everywhere I could see boat (behind the cabinets and whatnot) and saw no mold or mildew. There was water in the bilge so I pumped it out. So it is leaking but doesn't seem to be terrible. Need to get under the table to check for water there. How do I trace the leaks? I need to get a dehumidifier is there any special kind I should look for?

Compression Post and Support Beam - I didn't know what to look for at the time but I found a PDF with instructions on how to repair and what to look for. Will check next time I'm on the boat.

Insects - There are spiders everywhere. What can I use to get rid of them? How do I prevent them? Any tricks? I definitely need a bug lamp or something there are so many mosquitos.

Toilet

A/C

Batteries

Panel under V Verth (why would there be catnip in there?)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Unless you are going to sail it soon compression post is down on the list. I would replace batteries with similar model batteries, your charger should not need a timer, but be able to regulate it. The head, you need to pump out the the tank at a certified pump out facility. You likely need to take apart your pump portion of your head, like
Y you. Need to replace your joke valve which keeps stuff from flowing back through your holding tank. Your fresh water tank you can empty by turning your faucets on or pumping out the holding tank with some sort of sump pump. To clean out your fresh water lines there is some information in Don Casey'S book, but it is essentially running a wage and Clorox mix through your lines and then flushing. The switch for the a/c is interesting in that the picture shows a red light indicating that it has reversed polarity. Be car ful with that stuff because it is 110 not 12 or 24 like the dc potion of your electrics.

Dec 29, 2009
Hooks, I'm sure you will get lots of advice from this group. Here's my input on somethe items you mentioned:

Thanks for the info Charliegrau. Trust me, there will be contracts and stuff before I spend a penny on this boat. I'm just trying to get a list of everything that needs done to make it livable. It will all go in an excel sheet and I will get prices of everything in addition to estimated labor. I'm OCD and rarely do anything half assed. I appreciate everyone's concern on the owner dicking me over but it really isn't something I'm asking you guys for help with. If you want to help me fix up the boat, then I want all the knowledge you're willing to put through your fingers. That's what I'm here for not whether or not I should fix it up.
-Got it. Pls forgive me (and possibly others) for recalling horror stories we have lived or seen...let's get on with fixin' the boat!

Batteries - 1 is MAXX-24DC other is 31DCM. I'm pretty sure all 3 need to be replaced, do they have to be these part number batteries or are there others I should look at that are cheaper? These exact ones appear to be $100 each. It looks like he has some kind of timer rigged to a battery charger?
-the batteries should be in boxes that can be secured so they don't move around when underway, and they should have tops on them to prevent accidental contact with the posts. If you already have boxes, they you should probably by batteries that fit in them. Changing sizes can mean changing boxes, tie downs, etc. Boats usually have two banks of batteries...one for starting the engine, and one for providing power to the "house". You pick the starting battery for that function. The house bank can be one or more batteries or banks depending on how long you want to be able to go without charging. since you are going to be mostly in port on shore power, I suggets you get a good quality dual purpose battery for your start bank and not worry about the house bank until you are further down the path. You can take the batteries to Auto Zone and they will check them for you to see if they are viable.

Battery Charger - How do I check if it's working alright? Can I rent a device from autozone or home depot to check? The engine isn't starting right now because of bad batteries I can try to put a charger on them and try to start. That's what they did when they wanted to sail it.
-When the charger is on you should be able to read output voltage at the charger cables. The charger in the pic is only a 1.5A charger, so it is a more a sustaining charger. It would take a while to bring back a fully discharged battery. Can only guess why there is a timer...it is an "automatic" charger, so you should be able to leave it on all the time to keep your batteries topped off.

Air Conditioning - The switch is busted so I need to get a phillips screwdriver and look under the panel. He thinks the AC worked fine before the switch busted. I flipped everything on and it made no noise so guessing it broke in the off position or he rigged it to just stay off? If it don't come on, what's the first step in troubleshooting?
-With a little luck, it's just the toggle or the knob that is broken and the switch is still behind the panel. If you have the switch you can probably get a match at Radio Shack or West Marine.

Head/Holding tank - Needs some love. Toilet was full of algae and water. I pumped it out and found the handle you use to pump has a bad seal as algae water splashed out of the handle all over my hand. How do I check the holding tank?
-The fun stuff. Read the operating instructions for your head and then try and flush some fresh water and clean the bowl. Check the holding tank level. There is probably an output hose from the toilet to a "y" valve. the y valve allows you to divert the output either to a holding tank, or directly to sea. If you don't have a Y, then you are either always going to holding or always going to sea. Arrange for a pump out of the holding tank. Some places have boats or carts that can come to your slip. Pump out the holding tank...while doing so, pump a lot of fresh water through the toilet so you flush all the lines going into the holding tank. Check the holding tank vent to make sure it is not clogged. There are holding tank, and head lubricating chemicals you can pump thorugh the head to help breakdonw the effluent and lubricate your system. If you still have problems, you can rebuild or replace your toilet. I find a rebuild kit can cost 1/2 as much as a new toilet and is harder to replace, so you may just want to bite the bullet and get a new toilet.

Water - The water pump works but is extremely noisy. It is apparently in the head under the floor and I couldn't figure out how to get the panel off to investigate (was running low on daylight). So couldn't check the thru hull and strainer. Does the pump put water into some kind of pressurized tank or is it a turn on when you want running water then turn it off when you don't? How do I go about emptying the water that's been stored for the past 3 years and fill it back up with fresh water? How do I drain the waste tanks? How do I check to make sure they are good?
-Water pumps can be noisy...often they are mounted without any padding or neoprene washers, or the vibration dampening material has rotted away or become rigid. Try remount with some neoprene washers to isolate the pump from the hull. There is probably a drain low on your water tank, or you can disconnect the hose on the input side of the pump. Or, you can hook a hose up to afaucet and use your fresh water pump to pump it overboard. Search the forums for water tank purification techniques. This has been covered a few times, I think.

Mold - Didnt notice any. No mildew smell. Cushions all seemed fine and smelled okay. I checked everywhere I could see boat (behind the cabinets and whatnot) and saw no mold or mildew. There was water in the bilge so I pumped it out. So it is leaking but doesn't seem to be terrible. Need to get under the table to check for water there. How do I trace the leaks? I need to get a dehumidifier is there any special kind I should look for?
-Great new on the mold/mildew. Leak into the bilge may be from the shaft log/stuffing box. That is the tube the shaft goes through from the engine to the propellor. It should drip a little when you are using the engine. there is an adjustment collar you can tighten to stop the leak in port...just don't forget to loosen it up when you are going to run the engine. If you are going to be living on board you will probably run the a/c and heat enought to keep things nice without haveing to buy a separate dehumidifier.

Insects - There are spiders everywhere. What can I use to get rid of them? How do I prevent them? Any tricks? I definitely need a bug lamp or something there are so many mosquitos.
-I would start with a shop vac and get rid of evertying currently in the boat. Your activity coming and going should help keep some spiders out. You might also try putting dryer sheets under seats and in out of the way places to keep them smelling better and, I think they also deter insects.

Good luck. I suggest you also search the forums for any issues you find...and check West Marine's West Advisor for good info on battery wiring, plumbing, etc.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
For those spiders check your vents. My vents at the aft end of the boat were just attached over open holes which allowed bees and spiders to get in. I installed small squares of screen that I cut out and glued in place to the underside of the vents. Problem solved. Another place spiders can get in is the anchor rode hole in your bow. I just stuffed a piece of foam there (can't install any permanent screen there). Also, you can spray behind cabinets and in other out-of-the-way places with Ortho Home Defense spray. Works great!

Your toilet pump-out situation could be a problem because usually one has to motor over to the pumpout station (unless the marina has some mobile cart). Pump-out is free but if you can't get there this could be an issue. Remember, you don't need to sail over there but it will require you to start the engine and move...which is probably a good thing for the old girl anyhow. At least you don't have to sail there so no worries about getting all your rig and sails in order. Getting the boat moving is still good for the psyche and will give you a feel, as an admitted new sailor, for securing the boat to the pier and other basic boat handling tasks. Just think of your boat as a big, 34-foot powerboat for now!

PS Make sure your engine raw water intake is clear so you don't ruin the engine. You never mentioned how the boat's bottom is doing. It could be coated with slime and stuff if it hasn't been regularly cleaned....

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Hooks I forgot about the bugs. Make sure you dont have any open flames. But I have used bug bombs that you can buy at the grocery store. Tuen it on and leave for overnight come back and clean up the bugs. Be sure and take plates and cups food off before you do it.

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Well I should have just listened to you old timers. He had a religious moment and gave his boat away to a homeless man. So the dream becomes a fart in the wind.

I expect a lot of "I told you so" so please don't rub it in. I didn't spend any money but just a little time. So nothing lost nothing gained. Guess I have to figure out how to get my own boat now.

Dec 29, 2009
A friend of mine wanted a boat so he made up some 3x5 cards that said something like: "Eliminate your slip fees....give me your boat. New to sailing and looking for a boat big enought to live aboard, but small enough for a newbie to handle and learn on."
He added contact info and in two weeks he had four boats to choose from.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
It is just part of a plan for you to get your own boat! BrianW

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Well I should have just listened to you old timers. He had a religious moment and gave his boat away to a homeless man. So the dream becomes a fart in the wind.

I expect a lot of "I told you so" so please don't rub it in. I didn't spend any money but just a little time. So nothing lost nothing gained. Guess I have to figure out how to get my own boat now.
Bummer Dude! I wonder how a homeless man is going to afford slip fees.

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Apparently someone was interested in buying the boat and went on board and put together a list of all that was wrong with it but this was a guy who knew his stuff. He checked the compression post, found it to be rotted, found a few other major issues with it and told the owner there was no way he'd get more than a couple thousand for it.

The homeless guy is already living on a sailboat but it's close to sinking so he's going to get the working parts from his boat to the boat I was going to fix up and try to get the engine going. I don't know what he plans on doing after that but it won't be at that slip for long. I'm guessing he'll find a place to anchor somewhere in the river. No clue. Not my problem anymore. Now I get to figure out how to finance a boat if that's even possible with my credit.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
If this the kind of language that is acceptable on this site I am out of here.
Bye
When did we get to the level of The View?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Hooks,
If you are concerned with mold,
Clean with Clorox, hydrogen peroxide/ white vinager 50/50 mixture, Where you see visible signs. Then contact a local tool rental center and see if they rent a portable ozone generator and seal up the boat for a week and run the ozone unit. The ozone gasses will kill any mold that you can't see. If the rental center does not have one to rent then call a mold removal company like Surf pro. They should have one to set up inside the boat.

You don't what the get sick.

Good luck with your project that is a lot of boat, and welcome aboard.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If this the kind of language that is acceptable on this site I am out of here.
Bye
When did we get to the level of The View?
I agree. Also noted the last post by Hooks was in 2014.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Correct, this is not appropriate. But that is why there is a "Report" function. If you see something, say something to us. I just got the notification and deleted the post. Apologies for not seeing is sooner.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ah you all realize this is a thread form 2014, and the original post has been MIA since 2015...