Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin

Where on the Ohio

Hey Ky Sailors, I sail mainly on the Ohio at my back door in Owensboro. I had a slip at Ky Dam Marina for about 10 years but got tired of the 2 hour one-way drive. I had already purchased a 12' Zuma and was having a lot of fun iwth it on the Ohio so decided to sell my H23 and picked-up the H170. It has it's faults but overall has been a lot of fun. My son goes to U of L and I've always thought the river looked inviting off LV's downtown. Have sailed Barren River Lake on a Flying Scott but haven't taken the H170 down there yet. All the 170's needto stay in touch and maybe we can do some fleet racing at one of the regattas. Would be fun.

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Sailing on the Ohio

Edwin, Thanks for the info regarding Ownesboro. I live in Leitchfield (about 40 miles southeast) and would like to know good places to sail close to home. I work in Louisville, and have often thought that the Ohio would be a good place to sail. I know they sail out of Cox Creek Park which is a little way up the river from downtown. I too have made that trip to Ky Lake many times and it gets old real quick. I am up for a gathering of 170s sometime. I'm sure there is a lot I can learn from those of you who have had the boat for a while. We need to get that going. Thanks, Tim

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
October 22 Regatta

Dale, Things are lookig good for me to attend the regatta on the 22nd. I am looking forward to it. I'll get my money in to you all soon. I drove down to Barren today to find Port Oliver. After a few wrong turns and a very nice tour of Barren River, I finally found it. It looks like you all have a real nice place to sail down there. I'll have to bring my boat down and sail with you sometime. Thanks, Tim

D

Dale

Ragatta

Dont pay me you pay at the captains meeting before the race.

D

Dale

sailing in KY

I live over around Lexington if you have yahoo messanger my ID is breadman1911

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
What Marina / boat ramp?

Edwin, What marina or boat ramp do you launch from in Ownesboro? Tim

E

Edwin

Owensboro launch

We have two launch areas. One is at the Foot of Fredeicar St. Runs right into the river close to the bridge and Riverpark Center. The other is in a remote area to the west of town. They have their pluses and minuses. Wind direction, power boat traffic, day of the week, etc. The city is in the process of closing the Frederica St ramp and moving to the west a few blocks into English Park. This is a two year project but we have been told that the old will not close until the new is open. The Ohio River can be fun. River current is the biggest worry. To quote someone: "The wind on the Ohio River is either dead ahead, dead astern, or dead." Not enirely true. Like anywhere else if you have a good wind you'll have a good sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.